To laugh or to cry... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2006, 05:11 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
To laugh or to cry...

In an older topic, Glen posted the link to a blog by a Saudi guy called "the religious policeman" (http://muttawa.blogspot.com/). It might not be to everyone's taste, but in my opinion it is quite brilliant, informative and extremelly funny. In any case, through this site I came across a site called MEMRI (Middle East Media Research Institute) which provides subtitled videos from various Arab (or actually Muslim in general, since many of them are from Iran) media sources. Some of the stuff in there are (unintentionally ) funny, some are really tragical and horrific although I'd best describe it as "tragicomical". There are also (few) videos with internal criticism. It's worth a look anyway:

http://memritv.org/Search.asp?ACT=S6&P3=1

Now before people jump on me, I don't know if this site's translations are accurate, or if the media sources it quotes are mainstream or obscure TV channels so if you feel what it presents is not representative of the general "Muslim TV" do not blame me. I would actually be interested to know if the translations are accurate and if it's mainstream...

I will post my favorite videos off it tomorrow. Right now I'm divided between a Syrian minister suggesting that all AIDS patients around the world should be stoned to prevent the disease from spreading, an Iranian scientist claiming that he's found the cure for AIDS and a "scientist" who claims Einstein's theory of relativity can be found on the Quran.

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2006, 11:50
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by site said
Samples from an Iranian contest for Holocaust cartoons that were shown on Channel 2 of the Iranian TV on March 9, 2006.
I can think of some punchlines here. but if this is in relation to the Danish cartoons, then we should question why they target jews...

funny snip here:

Quote:
New Footage of Bushehr Nuclear Facility in Iran
EDIT - more of the stuff, sad stuff. http://memritv.org/Transcript.asp?P1=1053

Quote:
Imam Khamenei was very clear when he said: "The Zionists are behind the offensive cartoons, and they are trying to arouse civil strife between the Muslims and the Christians throughout the world."
The normal classic, in fact they seems to have some info none else have, the Danish are actually jews. I guess the Danish imans that travelled to Palestina with false cartoons are also zionists. hah!

Quote:
Hizbullah Sec.-Gen. Hassan Nasrallah: the Destruction of the Samarra Mosque is a Zionist Plot in Preparation for the Destruction of the Al-Aqsa Mosque
Its always the jews fault.

Last edited by Johan; March 15th, 2006 at 12:10.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2006, 18:33
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan

Hizbullah Sec.-Gen. Hassan Nasrallah: the Destruction of the Samarra Mosque is a Zionist Plot in Preparation for the Destruction of the Al-Aqsa Mosque

Its always the jews fault.
That's not the point. He's trying to say that mosque bombings are going to be so commonplace nowadays. To the extent that IF Al Aqsa mosque is blown up (God forbid), then it would be a "normal" site that people viewed on TV. i.e a regular bombing in Iraq of a house or something. It would fall under the stupid pretext of the war on terror. When in fact a bomb in Al-Aqsa will only threaten "Israel's" security even more.

Again, I've said this before, I'll say it again..."Israel" was established in 1948 so let it bare the consequences. Good luck. Everything comes at a price

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2006, 10:30
Xtratime Legend

But he said that the Zionists did it, nothing points towards that. In that case it can't be a Zionist plot and his argument is false. What you said about having things like that move to "common place" is true though, but that doesn't make this a Zionist plot.

I don't go blaming everything bad that happens on Jews/Muslims/Danish just because I can't take my own responsibility or because I WANT to have an enemy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2006, 10:03
Xtratime Legend

I don't know if you're aware, but MEMRI is an extremely contested Zionist organisation. It doesn't mean that what they do is always dubious, because the researchers have relative freedom, but one has to be very careful with their findings because a lot of it is severely tilted.

For a quick overview:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/...773258,00.html

I had the good fortune to interview a German/jewish female researcher from Memri some four months ago at a Danish conference with lots of scholars and Arab media represenatitves: "New Media's role in future Middle East democratisation" ... or something like that. She appeared to be quite solid and reflective, but most the Arab scholars there dismissed her out of hand, because of her being from MEMRI. Which is obviously as wrong and unproductive as buying into all of their selective findings.

APATHY: A word now fallen into disuse due to a lack of concern for it.

The debute said it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guo5p...eature=related
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2006, 12:43
Xtratime Legend

I think it was quite clear from the outstart that their choices was selective. A pity I can't claim our media is much better in airing stupidity and "scientific studies" of dubious quality. The difference is how they (Iran in particular) is doing a campaign of hate/dislike to falsely accuse Jews. They could in fact put Israel in a bad light byt just showing one-sided of things that happen there instead of lying andmaking things up.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2006, 13:08
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Tricolor Paulista
seems the zionists do a better job then Iran

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in