Poll: For muslims living in western societies - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: As a Muslim, do you experience prejudice and hatred?
Yes I often do 1 7.69%
I have experienced some animosity and racism 12 92.31%
Not really, I haven't encountered any negativity at all 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2006, 20:47 Thread Starter
International

Teams: BESIKTAS
Poll: For muslims living in western societies

The poll about the Quran and the discussion there (as wlel as numerous discussions I have witnessed lately) made me wonder what views about this were...

As a Muslim living in the West, is it getting harder to deal with Western prejudices, misconceptions and hatred?

Do you experience hatred and prejudice often, or not?
If you do, what is the most overwhelming and hard to understand aspect of such behaviour?

Please share your personal experiences.

I personally believe Islamophobia is at an all time high and there is way too much hatred in the air. I have witnessed such behaviour on numerous occasions even though I don't really practice Islam and you can barely tell Im a muslim unless you ask me.

My thoughts are based on my experiences in during the last few years...
I have recently moved to Istanbul and have been living here for 4 months.
Western media in particular has gone insane over the topic of muslims.

I feel more comfortable here, even though I was born and raised in the West. I also have many European and American friends in this city-all of whom are accepted for their beliefs by everyone I know...they have yet to experience any hostility against them.

'The Besiktas jersey gives me incredible strength, peace, and trust.'
Gökhan Güleç

Last edited by D-lite; March 3rd, 2006 at 20:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2006, 20:51
International

Teams: Beşiktaş &Turkey, Azerbaijan
I find that especially in Internet some decent (westeren)forums has been transformed to mini-stormfront forums nowadays. The hostility is remarkable.

Some countries like Denmark has taken this too far to. Even in more tolerant coutries like Sweden you just get sick and tired of some of the regular muslim-bashing at the media. Since am not a practising muslim i have easier than, lets say a practising moslem woman. But the constant whining about moslems makes you pretty tired of alltogheter, sometime. Its like if we were aliens or something like that...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2006, 23:42
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
I lived for about 2 years in UK. I have not encountered anything like that to be honest. Only one time, we were playing football and one of the other team players made a comment about me, the reaction of the other players was just great and made me score two goals

However, it is more in some countries than others and to be even more honest, some Muslims act like assholes that might help with the negativity other decent common Muslims face from time to time. The media in UK are okay; I did not read crap newspapers like the sun for example, so that maybe why I have such impression about the UK media. Maybe because in the UK there is a significant Muslim society, some of those, act like true thugs and they are hated in places like Bradford for example, there lives a huge Pakistani community and some of them are grand A thugs. Same goes for France, Denmark, Sweden, plus of course Bin Laden’s way of representing Islam in the shape of explosions, airplanes going straight to towers and high buildings and suicide bombers.

Vamos Argentina!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2006, 01:32
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh
some of those, act like true thugs and they are hated in places like Bradford for example, there lives a huge Pakistani community and some of them are grand A thugs.
bradford= crap

Vicente05® will be back
Kroos05
® is the future

No Kroos no party baby!!!!!!!!!!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2006, 00:17
Star Player

Teams: manchester united, jeish al-soori
i dont experience too much racism nowadays but ive certainly recieved a fair amount in the past, especially after 9/11. i think after 911 emotions were running high, and so people who wanted to attack islam could do so openly with more freedom, whereas now it still happens, but with more subtlety

i suppose it also helps im white, rather than brown

1966 was a great year for english football.....The King was born

Kyle: and OZ i have an arse crack like a little kid

OFFICIAL SUPPORTER OF ALEX FERGUSON
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2006, 16:54
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh
I lived for about 2 years in UK. I have not encountered anything like that to be honest. Only one time, we were playing football and one of the other team players made a comment about me, the reaction of the other players was just great and made me score two goals

However, it is more in some countries than others and to be even more honest, some Muslims act like assholes that might help with the negativity other decent common Muslims face from time to time. The media in UK are okay; I did not read crap newspapers like the sun for example, so that maybe why I have such impression about the UK media. Maybe because in the UK there is a significant Muslim society, some of those, act like true thugs and they are hated in places like Bradford for example, there lives a huge Pakistani community and some of them are grand A thugs. Same goes for France, Denmark, Sweden, plus of course Bin Laden’s way of representing Islam in the shape of explosions, airplanes going straight to towers and high buildings and suicide bombers.
Exactly. And here in Xtratime, we have L-Pheno.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2006, 17:04
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite®nit
I tell you one think I cannot answer the poll but if I know any Muslims I would sure show them no respect. Unless of course they have a hot sister without a mustache, but thats like looking for a inteligent MUSLIM.

There are quite a few, I'll tell ya.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2006, 17:30
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Tricolor Paulista
I don´t believe in Virgin Maries
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:02
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite®nit
I tell you one think I cannot answer the poll but if I know any Muslims I would sure show them no respect. Unless of course they have a hot sister without a mustache, but thats like looking for a inteligent MUSLIM.
dude are u being serious or are u just being a blatant fukface? i resent that statement even tho im not muslim. learn how to respect people first

12 FINALS
10 WINS 1 DRAW 1 LOSS!!
HALA MADRID!! CAMPEONES 2006-2007
Ruud Van Pichichi!

No more Finals! We just rule Liga!! 31
HALA MADRID CAMPEONES 2007-2008!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in