Should imperialist American media use their power to sway foreign elections? - Xtratime Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 04:20 Thread Starter
International
 
Join Date: 03 2005
Location: The Gorg Hive
Posts: 6,089
Should imperialist American media use their power to sway foreign elections?

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...729322000.html
--------------------------------------
Conan's Endorsement No Joke to Some Finns

Photos
AP Photo
AP Photo

Sat Jan 14, 6:47 PM ET

Finland's president finds her traditional support among women and the Social Democratic Party base, but lately to the surprise of many Finns and her opponents in Sunday's election she has gotten an endorsement of a different sort.

The redheaded late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien has been promoting President Tarja Halonen's re-election bid as part of a long-running joke about their supposed physical similarities.

"Why do I support Tarja Halonen? Because she's got the total package: a dynamic personality, a quick mind, and most importantly my good looks," the comedian, whose show is broadcast on cable in Finland, said in a statement to The Associated Press.

Whether O'Brien has a real interest in Finnish politics is uncertain, but his gags and mock campaign ads for Halonen have not gone unnoticed in this Nordic country of 5.2 million.

"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" airs five days a week on SUBTV, a Finnish cable channel, with a few days' delay. Every time he mentions Finland or Halonen, local tabloids report it prominently.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Halonen camp is laughing all the way to the polls.

"Of course, when she is mentioned so many times it's positive for our campaign," said Halonen's campaign manager, Markku Jaaskelainen.

Halonen's supporters quickly saw an opportunity, and her campaign started running real ads before the O'Brien's show on Finnish TV.

Halonen was hugely popular even before O'Brien discovered their similarities, but Jaaskelainen said hits on the campaign Web site have quintupled partly because of O'Brien's shows.

In one show, O'Brien presented a mock ad for Halonen in which he and two Finns were discussing the election while fishing on a frozen lake.

When they talk about rival candidate Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen, a dead fish shoots out of the hole in the ice, prompting a joke about how the mere mention of his name causes fish to commit suicide.

"Fish recognize a bad leader," O'Brien says in broken Finnish to laughter from his studio crowd.

Halonen's opponents are not amused.

"He's just making fun of the whole election," said Harri Jaskari, campaign manager for former Finance Minister Sauli Niinisto. "If this decides the election, then we're in trouble. It gives a very poor picture of Finnish democracy."

Markus Haapamaki, Vanhanen's campaign manager, was less worried.

"It's not really affecting our campaign," he said. "Personally, I'm fed up with it, and it's continued too long to offer anything interesting."

In Helsinki, people did not seem to take offense at O'Brien's use of their presidential election for comic relief.

"I think it's quite funny," said Mia Myllymaki, a 28-year-old elementary school teacher. "Of course we are proud that Conan O'Brien talks about Finland and Finnish people. ... People in the USA don't even know where Finland is, so maybe it helps if he talks about it."

Anu Linnus, a 22-year-old economics student, said O'Brien's backing could indirectly affect the election.

"I don't think people are going to vote for Tarja because she's on the show, but it helps her image," she said.

Polls showed Halonen with a solid lead on the eve of the election, but it was not clear whether she would get the more than 50 percent needed to avoid a runoff.

NBC, which runs Conan's show in the United States, said the popular host is planning a trip to Finland in February. It was not clear whether he would meet with Halonen, 62, who apparently does not mind being compared to the 42-year-old O'Brien.

"She thinks that it's very nice that she looks the same as Conan O'Brien because Conan O'Brien is so much younger than she," said Jaaskelainen, the campaign manager.

As for their similarities, he was not as convinced.

"They have red hair," Jaaskelainen said. "And same kind of nose."

___

Associated Press reporter Matti Huuhtanen in Helsinki contributed to this report.






Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?



ULTRA GORGATRON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 15:43
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Conan O'Brien is threatening Finland? Didn't you guys fight off the entire Russian army? And now you're afraid of Conan O'Brien?

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 19:53
IVO
International
World Class Player
 
IVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 1999
Posts: 8,545
I like Conan and all but he must be hurtin for material because they look nothing alike and there's nothing comical about it.
IVO is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 20:29
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
I beg to differ. The Finns are quite amusing......hmmmm come to think of it, I've never heard a Finnish joke.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 20:32
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,165
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
I've never heard a Finnish joke.
Here's one:

Suomen toissa vuoden kasvihuonekaasupäästöt ylittivät tavoitetason yli kymmenellä prosentilla. Päästöt kuitenkin laskivat vuotee verrattuna, koska toissa kesäiset sateet täyttivät vesivarastot energiantuotannon tarpeisiin.


Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
Boyo is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 20:34
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo
Here's one:

Suomen toissa vuoden kasvihuonekaasupäästöt ylittivät tavoitetason yli kymmenellä prosentilla. Päästöt kuitenkin laskivat vuotee verrattuna, koska toissa kesäiset sateet täyttivät vesivarastot energiantuotannon tarpeisiin.

Bwäähäähäähäähäähääää

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 20:53
Xtratime Elite
 
szövkap's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2001
Location: VII ker
Teams: MTK
Posts: 53,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
I beg to differ. The Finns are quite amusing......hmmmm come to think of it, I've never heard a Finnish joke.
here's another one:

two finnish brothers meet for the first time after years, they open a bottle of vodka and start drinking. after the third bottle one of them asks: "how are you?"
the other, apparently shocked: "I thought you came to drink!"
szövkap is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 20:56
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyi
here's another one:

two finnish brothers meet for the first time after years, they open a bottle of vodka and start drinking. after the third bottle one of them asks: "how are you?"
the other, apparently shocked: "I thought you came to drink!"
Ivo was right. There's nothing comical about Finland.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 21:02
Xtratime Elite
 
szövkap's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2001
Location: VII ker
Teams: MTK
Posts: 53,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
Ivo was right. There's nothing comical about Finland.
it's probably not comical. they are really like that.
szövkap is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 21:02
On Planet Z
International
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Teams: AS Roma
Posts: 6,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyi
here's another one:

two finnish brothers meet for the first time after years, they open a bottle of vodka and start drinking. after the third bottle one of them asks: "how are you?"
the other, apparently shocked: "I thought you came to drink!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
Ivo was right. There's nothing comical about Finland.
:dielaugh:
Phoenix is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 21:21
Administrators
Xtratime Elite
 
Osman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2000
Location: Uppsala, Sverige
Teams: Juve
Posts: 51,737
You may be joking, but living in sweden, I actually know that the Finnish is the most boring and most lifeless people in the world

You should see them in social events(like sports events or culture etc), unanimated and unpassionate to the core Even when doing something lively and fun like argentinian tango, walking zombies I tell ya.

Mentionned the tango bit because they did a report out of that in 60 minutes Mike Wallace called them the most boring people on earth, and thats baaaaaaaad, coming from the dino that is Mike Wallace.
Osman is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 21:38
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Nero's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Teams: F.C. Juventus of Turin
Posts: 17,457
I don't see the purported similarity in appearance either.

“Dogs celebrate on the corpses of lions, thinking they’ve won, but lions remain lions and dogs stay dogs"
-Stefano Sturaro
Nero is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 21:53
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Pila's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Location: Noo Joisy!
Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Posts: 32,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...729322000.html
--------------------------------------
Conan's Endorsement No Joke to Some Finns

Photos
AP Photo
AP Photo

Sat Jan 14, 6:47 PM ET

Finland's president finds her traditional support among women and the Social Democratic Party base, but lately to the surprise of many Finns and her opponents in Sunday's election she has gotten an endorsement of a different sort.

The redheaded late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien has been promoting President Tarja Halonen's re-election bid as part of a long-running joke about their supposed physical similarities.

"Why do I support Tarja Halonen? Because she's got the total package: a dynamic personality, a quick mind, and most importantly my good looks," the comedian, whose show is broadcast on cable in Finland, said in a statement to The Associated Press.

Whether O'Brien has a real interest in Finnish politics is uncertain, but his gags and mock campaign ads for Halonen have not gone unnoticed in this Nordic country of 5.2 million.

"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" airs five days a week on SUBTV, a Finnish cable channel, with a few days' delay. Every time he mentions Finland or Halonen, local tabloids report it prominently.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Halonen camp is laughing all the way to the polls.

"Of course, when she is mentioned so many times it's positive for our campaign," said Halonen's campaign manager, Markku Jaaskelainen.

Halonen's supporters quickly saw an opportunity, and her campaign started running real ads before the O'Brien's show on Finnish TV.

Halonen was hugely popular even before O'Brien discovered their similarities, but Jaaskelainen said hits on the campaign Web site have quintupled partly because of O'Brien's shows.

In one show, O'Brien presented a mock ad for Halonen in which he and two Finns were discussing the election while fishing on a frozen lake.

When they talk about rival candidate Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen, a dead fish shoots out of the hole in the ice, prompting a joke about how the mere mention of his name causes fish to commit suicide.

"Fish recognize a bad leader," O'Brien says in broken Finnish to laughter from his studio crowd.

Halonen's opponents are not amused.

"He's just making fun of the whole election," said Harri Jaskari, campaign manager for former Finance Minister Sauli Niinisto. "If this decides the election, then we're in trouble. It gives a very poor picture of Finnish democracy."

Markus Haapamaki, Vanhanen's campaign manager, was less worried.

"It's not really affecting our campaign," he said. "Personally, I'm fed up with it, and it's continued too long to offer anything interesting."

In Helsinki, people did not seem to take offense at O'Brien's use of their presidential election for comic relief.

"I think it's quite funny," said Mia Myllymaki, a 28-year-old elementary school teacher. "Of course we are proud that Conan O'Brien talks about Finland and Finnish people. ... People in the USA don't even know where Finland is, so maybe it helps if he talks about it."

Anu Linnus, a 22-year-old economics student, said O'Brien's backing could indirectly affect the election.

"I don't think people are going to vote for Tarja because she's on the show, but it helps her image," she said.

Polls showed Halonen with a solid lead on the eve of the election, but it was not clear whether she would get the more than 50 percent needed to avoid a runoff.

NBC, which runs Conan's show in the United States, said the popular host is planning a trip to Finland in February. It was not clear whether he would meet with Halonen, 62, who apparently does not mind being compared to the 42-year-old O'Brien.

"She thinks that it's very nice that she looks the same as Conan O'Brien because Conan O'Brien is so much younger than she," said Jaaskelainen, the campaign manager.

As for their similarities, he was not as convinced.

"They have red hair," Jaaskelainen said. "And same kind of nose."

___

Associated Press reporter Matti Huuhtanen in Helsinki contributed to this report.


Holy shit - I didn't know Conan wore glasses!

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
Pila is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 22:03
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila
Holy shit - I didn't know Conan wore glasses!
HA! There you go! Some real Portuguese humor! Finns take note.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2006, 20:19
OJ!
Rookie
 
Join Date: 12 2003
Location: Finland
Teams: Lazio
Posts: 84
Hah! I beg to differ, we Finns are great, humorous people. Atleast Boyo can vouch for me personally, right Boyo? It's just that we're awfully shy.

We see the humour in simplest things, like this one Finnish chap, who was once on the same train with Claudia Schiffer and a Swedish guy. When the train entered a tunnel and it was dark, a kissing sound was heard, and when the train came out of the tunnel the Swedish guy was holding his tender cheek. He was thinking the Finnish chap tried to kiss Claudia, and instead he got wrongfully the blame for that and got slapped by Claudia. Claudia thought the Swedish guy tried to kiss the Finnish chap and got punched for that. The Finnish chap, on the other hand, was thinking "this is f*cking brilliant; the next time the train enters a tunnel, I'll make another kissing sound and hit that Swedish prick even harder!"

"You are a very tall man." he said.
"I'm on a horse. What are you on?" I said.
"Valium." he said.
OJ! is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2006, 20:21
OJ!
Rookie
 
Join Date: 12 2003
Location: Finland
Teams: Lazio
Posts: 84
As for Conan and his Tarja Halonen jokes, I think they're brilliant. You can't see the similarity in those pics, but if you'd see them when it's on TV, you'd see it, as well.

"You are a very tall man." he said.
"I'm on a horse. What are you on?" I said.
"Valium." he said.
OJ! is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2006, 20:22
Xtratime Elite
 
szövkap's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2001
Location: VII ker
Teams: MTK
Posts: 53,436
in fact, I think finns are one of the funniest nations in europe. they use few words, unless talking to their mobile phones, but those few words are enough to make one laugh.
szövkap is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2006, 20:55
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,165
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ!
Hah! I beg to differ, we Finns are great, humorous people. Atleast Boyo can vouch for me personally, right Boyo?
Sure can. OJ! is the Funny Finn.

Welcome to the PD forum.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
Boyo is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2006, 21:14
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo
Sure can. OJ! is the Funny Finn.

Welcome to the PD forum.
Hahahahhaaa! Who let OJ in?

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2006, 21:21
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,165
Blog Entries: 7
We had to pay a hefty transfer fee to get him here, but I'm convinced it will be well worth it.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
Boyo is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome