The Di Canio Issue. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 02:38 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Italia - Roma
The Di Canio Issue.

I was wondering if we can have this thread here, since this is not about football but how unfair society is being against Di Canio.

I think that, since there is no written law against what Di Canio did, I find it immensely wrong that he was banned one game and fined.

I always bring up Lucarelli and his Communist gestures. Livorno is a renown Communist team. Nobody ever says anything deplorable against them, ever. Why? Why is it that Communist people are seen as the “good people” whereas right wing people are labeled “racist” without even them explaining their ideals?

Di Canio did say that it was not meant to be racist. It is, in primis, a ROMAN salute. Why are we forgetting history here?

Why is FIFA getting all up and about this issue all of a sudden?
Blatter wants to make Lazio go to B when he is the number corrupt person in the FIFA. Pathetic really.

If we are to be fair, we should 1) make some laws that prohibit players to make any gesture that is affiliated with politics 2) the law should be same for all, not just one person with certain ideals.

Just discussing, so no need to get personl ok?

Make Xtratime great again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 02:41
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Doesn't Di Canio have a Mussolini tatoo? I mean with that in mind I think it's obvious what he meant with that salute. I haven't heard that Lucarelli has a Stalin tattoo if he did I'm sure there would be an outcry as well...
post #3 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 02:47
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
I thought that the nazi salute was illegal in Italy. All facist symbols were, are they not?

DiCanio said t was a Roman salute? Did anyone believe him?

Gràcies Pare, descansi en pau.

post #4 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 02:49 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
Doesn't Di Canio have a Mussolini tatoo? I mean with that in mind I think it's obvious what he meant with that salute. I haven't heard that Lucarelli has a Stalin tattoo if he did I'm sure there would be an outcry as well...
http://www.calciomercato.com/modules...cle&sid=106164

According to Thuram, Di Canio did not mean it in any racist way but like I stated before, in a ROMAN way.

Check the link.

Now we have to judge people on their tattoos? Lucarelli I think has a Che tatoo. Livorno fans worship the day of Stalin's birthday, nothing on the news. This is what I mean when I say our society is disgustingly communist.

post #5 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 02:51 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
DiCanio said t was a Roman salute? Did anyone believe him?
No and that is what's sad. :thmbdown:

post #6 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 02:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Can you answer about the part on the written law? The nazi salute, I thought was banned in Italy.

And you are posting calciomercato links now? What is that? Carson and Paste style?

post #7 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Are you looking in google i-boy?

Anyway, I am going to bed and DiCanio was not doing a Roman salute, please........at least, I find that very, very hard to believe.

post #8 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:03 Thread Starter
Legend

Yes I pasted a link to show you what Thuram said. Calciomercato does not allow you to copy paste the article.

And the "diritto d'opinione" is when you say or write something regarding fascism, which is pretty sad that it is not getting changed, whether its right or wrong.

However, the gesture, is not forbidden since it is primarily a ROMAN salute. There should be, if they really do not want this to happen, a rule made by the sport governing body so that ALL, left or right, gestures get punished the same way.

post #9 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:07 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by barça
Are you looking in google i-boy?

Anyway, I am going to bed and DiCanio was not doing a Roman salute, please........at least, I find that very, very hard to believe.
Google what?

And you still did not tell me why you find it hard to believe.
Why do people prefer to force their own belief for others?

This is what is wrong with our society. People are so brainwashed ( I am making a general statement) against anything that is right wing. It is funny how certain people prefer to believe what they think Di Canio meant and disregard what he ACTUALLY meant.

post #10 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro Vegas
This is what is wrong with our society
he he you crack me up italian boy

So whats wrong with our society is that I am free to form my own opinion?

post #11 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:16 Thread Starter
Legend

Just like right now, I bet you that, you, Andrix and whoever reads this, will automatically think “Electro is a dumb Nazi”, when they couldn’t be more wrong. I am simply debating a fairness issue, but I am pretty sure people will believe themselves rather them believe what the person actually means.

When Di Canio comes out on TV and states he is racist, that is when you can say it for sure. Until then, there is no proof.

post #12 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:20 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by barça
he he you crack me up italian boy

So whats wrong with our society is that I am free to form my own opinion?
No, what is wrong is that you are thinking for others and convincing yourself that it has any logic. You should stop for a moment and ask yourself: “Did he really mean it as this or no?” But no, you form your own opinion based on what? Based on the brainwashing that society and media and your parents have told you, that “this sign equals this and THAT’S IT”. It’s pretty sad how some people are so categorical and do not even want to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who is stating what they ACTUALLY meant.

I am glad I crack you up, you are quite funny yourself.

post #13 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:21
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Just like right now, I bet you that, you, Andrix and whoever reads this, will automatically think “Electro is a dumb Nazi”
Never thought that. ok, maybe if you remove the word nazi, then you are closer to the my thoughts All right, that was below the belt

Listen, it never crossed my mind what you wrote, but think about the following, are you not doing the same of what you are accusing me and Andrix of doing? You are assuming what we are thinking

Quote:
When Di Canio comes out on TV and states he is racist, that is when you can say it for sure. Until then, there is no proof.
I thought that the salute was pretty good proof but lets give him the benefit of the doubt, its not like he has a tatoo of Mussolini or anything like that

post #14 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
You should stop for a moment and ask yourself: “Did he really mean it as this or no?
How do you know I didn't do that? I already stated that

Quote:
But no, you form your own opinion based on what? Based on the brainwashing that society and media and your parents have told you, that “this sign equals this and THAT’S IT”. It’s pretty sad how some people are so categorical and do not even want to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who is stating what they ACTUALLY meant.
You know, it seems to me that you are forming your opinion based on the brainwashing that society and media and your parents have told you. That, "this sign equals this and THAt'S IT" Its pretty sad how some people are so categorical and d not even want to give the benefit of the doubt to someone is actually stating what they ACTUALLY meant

post #15 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:29 Thread Starter
Legend

Exactly, I am assuming and is it right? No. Just like assuming against someone who states that the salute was just Roman, is wrong.

I am the first that agrees that politics should be left out of football. But we have to figure out now if this was really about politics or not, since Di Canio says it was not. If we do not want even the trouble, FIFA should make a clear rule where all left or right wing gesture will be punished with the following penalization.

That is all I am saying.

post #16 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:29
International

Quote:
Yes I pasted a link to show you what Thuram said. Calciomercato does not allow you to copy paste the article.

And the "diritto d'opinione" is when you say or write something regarding fascism, which is pretty sad that it is not getting changed, whether its right or wrong.

However, the gesture, is not forbidden since it is primarily a ROMAN salute. There should be, if they really do not want this to happen, a rule made by the sport governing body so that ALL, left or right, gestures get punished the same way.
It doesnt matter what it is. It only matters what it is percieved as. If in my circle of black friends I can say "n*gga" its percieved as a friendly, joking term even though Im not black.

But if I go and say it a place which gets a lot of publicity you would be at my funeral next week.

Thats the difference.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

post #17 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:32 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
It doesnt matter what it is. It only matters what it is percieved as.
Exactly what I am trying to fight.

And how does what Di Canio did hurt people's feelings?
Let's say that he did mean it in a racist way, which he did not, but let's say he did, how does that hurt anyone? If he wants to think that, can't he? Politically correctness is growing out of proportions to the point where you can not even say Merry Xmas or the Jews or Muslims get offended. That is why the west society is so weak, we are fighting ourselves thinking we are being "the good people". :thmbdown:

post #18 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:41
International

Quote:
Exactly what I am trying to fight.

And how does what Di Canio did hurt people's feelings?
Let's say that he did mean it in a racist way, which he did not, but let's say he did, how does that hurt anyone? If he wants to think that, can't he? Politically correctness is growing out of proportions to the point where you can not even say Merry Xmas or the Jews or Muslims get offended. That is why the west society is so weak, we are fighting ourselves thinking we are being "the good people". :thmbdown:
In this case 100 people percieve it as fascist and 2 people percieve it as "an ancient roman salute". Does that not make it stupid to do the salute, when you offend so many people?

Anyone can put their middle finger up and say "oh, it is an ancient secret symbol used by roman bishops to signal one another that there the middle bathroom stall is now vacant". You see what Im getting at, no?

And the whole Christmas issue is a different one. Its stupid too, but I'll leave it for another thread.

Besides, this is his SECOND time.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

post #19 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:47 Thread Starter
Legend

To be honest with you, no, I don’t get it.
I don’t get how anyone can be offended for someone else’s thinking, wrong or right, or how you can make a comparison between a symbol like the finger, which has only one meaning and a ROMAN salute, which meaning was primarly one.

The Merry Xmas thing was to show how some people are so touchy about certain issues when it is ridiculous to be so.

post #20 of 338 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:47
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
The simple problem is that being the roman salute do not make it not be the facist salute, quite otherwise - the meaning was added exactly because Mussolini wanted to express his will to have an empire in the italians land again.
So, it is a lame excuse - Di Canio certainly knew the possibility of meaning and if he is sorry fine - it is good for him to be more responsable.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in