LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 10:05 Thread Starter
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Yet another cowardly assassination...

My brother wrote this for Gebran Tueni's condolances:

"Over the course of recent Lebanese history, some well-meaning, intelligent, and patriotic leaders of distinction-including religious leaders have been murdered by a regime that is merciless in its attempt to obstruct the course of democracy and stability in Lebanon. Gebran was too savvy for their liking, and like all our other martyrs was motivated by a genuine and idealistic desire to free Lebanon from oppression. May his soul rest in peace and God give his family all the patience they need."

Here's the article:

Gibran Tueni assassinated by car bomb

A car bomb killed outspoken Lebanese journalist and anti-Syrian politician Gibran Tueni Monday, a day after returning from Paris where he had received information his life was no longer under threat.

At around 9 Monday morning, a booby-trapped Renault car with up to 40 kg of dynamite was exploded by remote control in the Mkalles area as Tueni' s armored Range Rover drove by on the way to his office at the An Nahar newspaper in downtown Beirut.

Tueni, 48-year-old MP for the Orthodox seat in Achrafieh, was accompanied by a friend Andre Michel and his driver Nicolas al-Falouti. All three died in the blast.

Tueni was taking his usual diversion along a minor road to avoid traffic while traveling to downtown Beirut.

Meanwhile, Lebanese politicians, especially those that belong to the anti-Syrian camp, immediately blamed Damascus, which denied any role and said the killing had been timed to smear it.

Around 30 people, mainly Lebanese, Syrian and Egyptian workers from nearby factories, were injured in the blast and taken to the Lebanese Canadian Hospital and Al-Mashreq Hospitals, according to an official statement released by the Directorate General of the Civil Defense.

Ambulances and fire appliances from the Sadd al-Baouchrieh and Bourj al-Barajneh stations, joined by units from stations in the areas surrounding Mkalles, recovered the bodies of Tueni and his two companions.

Security reports said they had been " torn into pieces and charred beyond recognition." The force of the car bomb blew Tueni' s two-ton plus vehicle off the road and sent it careering around 100 meters down a steep incline into the valley.

Police reported finding assault rifles and military bags near the MP' s wrecked vehicle.

Daily Star sources said several men were taken in for questioning, where one of them was interrogated about the car used in the explosion. It was later confirmed that he had only recently sold the Renault.

Tueni' s wife, Siham, arrived at the bomb site, and was in tears and disbelief as she muttered how this road was the " regular route" taken by her husband from his home at Beit Mery to the An Nahar office.

Tueni' s body was taken to Hotel Dieu Hospital, where hospital sources said " everything possible was being done to prepare the body for burial." It was later transferred to St. Georges Hospital for " symbolic reasons."

" Tueni told his family that if anything should happen to

him, then his body should end up at St. Georges Hospital as a gesture of solidarity with his religion," a senior hospital source told The Daily Star.

As his coffin arrived, bells from nearby churches rang in his honor and the pall bearers chanted anti-Syrian slogans.

A source from An-Nahar told The Daily Star that during the last staff meeting, Tueni told his staff he stayed in Paris for security reasons, but that he intended to remain in Lebanon as " it is now safe." Tueni said he had received confidential information from " a foreign intelligence source" in this regard.

Tueni returned from Paris Sunday night, after attending a ceremony in which his father Ghassan was awarded a Legion of Honor medal. Tueni senior returned to Beirut Monday night after receiving news of his son' s assassination.

Copyright Daily Star

RIP

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 14:41
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
And this just after when the UN finished their investigation on the Hariri assassination...Quite sickening really. Seeing a country bully and sh!it on another (smaller)country this much, and nothing is done about it...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 16:34
International

Teams: Arsenal
Is Syria really that stupid to assasinate another leading opponent of Syria at the time when they are in the limelight or could it be a Mossad dirty tricks assasination to try and implicate Syria?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 18:40 Thread Starter
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos
Is Syria really that stupid to assasinate another leading opponent of Syria at the time when they are in the limelight or could it be a Mossad dirty tricks assasination to try and implicate Syria?
I doubt the Syrians are the culprits this time. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but after this, we might just have one on our hands. A week ago some Zionist tried sabotaged a Hezballah member's car in Baalbeck, thankfully he came out of it unwounded.

We have to look at the bigger picture here, and I really think the Mossad or CIA is behind this. They both fear Hezballah as a threat to "Israel", so they killed Gebran Tueni. The result? International investigation, sponsored by the US. 1559 gets implemented, Hezballah disarm, God know what happens to Syria.

Nasrallah (Hezballah) made a speech a few weeks back criticising Gebran Tueni for his hard line views and a direct message to him in front of THOUSANDS of Lebanese Shi'ite Muslims, "Who are YOU Gebran to tell us to disarm? I have been telling you and the rest of parliament to come and sit with us on the negotiation table. But no, you rather go to Europe, or the US to help you solve your problems." - he said something along those lines if I recall correctly.

With that still fresh in everyone's minds, I think this was a setup by the Mossad for everyone to blame Syria and Hezballah for this - with the ultimate goal of securing Northern Israel border, Golan, and keeping all the Palestinian refugees in Lebanon. And guess what? The plan worked - you already had demonstrations in Lebanon with some hundreds of youth gathering in Beirut singing anti-Syrian chants. Would the Syrians reaaalllllly be that stupid to pull off such an act? Is it really worth doing that?

That's as far as "Israel" is concerned.

Hezballah, on the other hand, refuse the existence of "Israel", demand the complete withdrawal of not only 1967 borders, but 1948 for that matter! Otherwise they will never disarm. EVEN if "Israel" withdraws from Shebaa, Hezballah will ALWAYS have a pretext for war with "Israel" - after all that is part of their political agenda.

As much as I'd wish for Ahmendinjad's proposal for wiping "Israel" off the map, we all know that "Israel" are here to stay and there is NOTHING we can do about it.

Then you have the Lebanese parliament's plan of action: International investigation sponsored by the yanks. Hmmm...let's all guess the outcome of that "investigation".

Insult me as you wish;

Last edited by Rhizoid; December 13th, 2005 at 19:42.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 18:43
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
Yeah, that's exactly what Mossad needs now: implication in the assassination of one of Israel's most useful allies within Lebanon. Do you really think that Israel would trade away Gaza for goodwill, only to risk it all to influence the outcome of a dispute between Syria and Lebanon, whilst killing off one of Syria's staunchest critics? Sure, that adds up.

The perpertrators of this were pro-Syrians within Lebanon. Say, I don't know, the Strugglers for the Unity and Freedom of Greater Syria?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizoid
EVEN if Israel withdraws from Shebaa
You forgot your quotation marks. Get with the programme.

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Cacìni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd über-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 19:41 Thread Starter
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastin
Yeah, that's exactly what Mossad needs now: implication in the assassination of one of Israel's most useful allies within Lebanon. Do you really think that Israel would trade away Gaza for goodwill, only to risk it all to influence the outcome of a dispute between Syria and Lebanon, whilst killing off one of Syria's staunchest critics? Sure, that adds up.
It's as if people were waiting for this to happen before Lebanon turns to the Security Council.

Syria, already know that they're in deep trouble, would put in tremendous effort to kill one of their 'staunchest critics', so that everyone can point the finger at them, again? Hmm that adds up.

Quote:
The perpertrators of this were pro-Syrians within Lebanon. Say, I don't know, the Strugglers for the Unity and Freedom of Greater Syria?
You forgot your quotation marks. Get with the programme.
How eloquently put. I like to think of them as Freedom Fighters. There were plans for "Eretz Israel" but thanks to them and the Lebanese Army, those plans were thwarted. No Zion in Lebanon, thank you very much.

Thanks for the correction, I'll edit my post. God forbid, I will never accept a "country" based on the racist ideals. Welcome to the programme.

Insult me as you wish;

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 20:35
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
Quote:
Syria, already know that they're in deep trouble, would put in tremendous effort to kill one of their 'staunchest critics', so that everyone can point the finger at them, again? Hmm that adds up.
I made it quite clear that this was not Syria's work. This was the work of the pro-Syrian terrorists that call themselves the 'Strugglers for the Unity and Freedom of Greater Syria'.
Quote:
How eloquently put. I like to think of them as Freedom Fighters. There were plans for "Eretz Israel" but thanks to them and the Lebanese Army, those plans were thwarted. No Zion in Lebanon, thank you very much.
Eretz Israel never covered Lebanon, and there was never any intention of Israel to pretend that it did. Those "freedom fighters", backed by such outposts of democracy as the Syria, Iran, and the Soviet Union, did nothing but reduced the one Arab country in which both Muslim and Christian Arabs lived side-by-side into the archetypal Arab state: a failed one.

For the record, Zion means* Jerusalem. Jerusalem will forever be in Israel, and not Lebanon.
Quote:
Thanks for the correction, I'll edit my post. God forbid, I will never accept a "country" based on the racist ideals. Welcome to the programme.
Which racist ideals might those be? The ideal of equality that all Israelis are equal in the eyes of the law, unlike under Sharia law? The ideal of tolerance that has seen non-Jews rise to the cabinet, Deputy Prime Minister, and the Supreme Court? The ideal of reconciliation that excuses Arabs from military service to spare them from fighting other Arabs? Yes, what a racist "country" it must be, to be based on the racist ideals of equality, tolerance, and reconciliation.

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Cacìni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd über-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in