Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 13:23
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid, Ajax, Slovenian NT
Here's more from BBC News.

Croatian fugitive general seized

Gen Gotovina was one of the most wanted Balkan fugitives
A Croatian general charged with war crimes has been held in Spain, the UN's chief war crimes prosecutor has said.
Ante Gotovina was one of the most wanted men from the 1990s Balkan wars.

He is accused of war crimes against Serb civilians during a Croatian offensive to expel Serb forces from the country in 1995.

Carla Del Ponte, chief prosecutor at the International War Crimes Tribunal at The Hague, had repeatedly sought Gen Gotovina's detention.

Gen Gotovina was arrested on Wednesday night in the Canary Islands, Ms Del Ponte said, and was due to be transferred to The Hague.

He was held in a hotel in the Tenerife resort of Playa de las Americas after being followed for several days, the Spanish news agency EFE reported.

Stabbed, shot, burned

Speaking in the Serbian capital, Belgrade, Ms Del Ponte said she hoped Gen Gotovina's detention would speed up efforts to arrest Bosnian Serb fugitives Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic.

Throughout the tribunal's efforts to track him down, Gen Gotovina has maintained support from a wide section of the Croatian public, some of whom regard him as a national hero.

Gen Gotovina, 50, was indicted for crimes against humanity by the war crimes tribunal in 2001.

[This is] good news for the world, for bringing people to justice who are not yet convicted but are accused of very serious crimes

Jaap de Hoop Scheffer
Nato Secretary General

He is alleged to have failed to prevent the murder of 150 Serbs killed by shooting, stabbing or burning during Operation Storm, the August 1995 push against Serb forces in Croatia.

He was sent into early retirement in 2000 when Croatia promised to investigate allegations of war crimes among its military during the 1990s.

Croatia has claimed that he subsequently fled the country. He vowed never to turn himself in.

'Good news'

In Brussels, Nato Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer described the arrest of Gen Gotovina as "good news for the world, for bringing people to justice who are not yet convicted but are accused of very serious crimes".

Ms Del Ponto had previously criticised Zagreb's efforts to arrest the general.

The controversy delayed the start of talks on Croatian membership of the European Union, although the green light was finally given after Ms Del Ponte said she was satisfied with Croatian co-operation with the tribunal.
post #3 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 13:26 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: HNK Hajduk, Hrvatska
Just my opinion, but Del Ponte has no idea what she's doing. The last few months, she said he was in Croatia and also that he was in a monestary. I find it funny that he was in an EU nation this whole time, and they held up talks because Croatia wouldn't turn him over.

post #4 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 13:43
International

Teams: Dinamo Zagreb
i cant find this in croatian press, and besides he was already "caught" several times.

Ustaj, roblje, diži se
Sav svijet iz temelja mijenja se
Danas smo ništa,
sutra bit ćemo sve.
post #5 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 14:33
Premier Player

Teams: Croatia NT, HNK Rijeka
crava del ponte
that's it
post #6 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 15:20
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Lipa
i cant find this in croatian press, and besides he was already "caught" several times.

http://www.index.hr/clanak.aspx?id=295545

From my perspective, this is good news for Croatia and also for its EU membership process and speed. I know most of you have a different opinion about him and this, though.

post #7 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 15:25
IVO
International
World Class Player

From my perspective, this is all the more reason to burn the hague down. Gotovina is a Croatian hero who took his God-given right to defend his homeland. One day Del Ponte is gonna cross paths with a crazy Bosanac.
post #8 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 15:32
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO
From my perspective, this is all the more reason to burn the hague down. Gotovina is a Croatian hero who took his God-given right to defend his homeland. One day Del Ponte is gonna cross paths with a crazy Bosanac.

IVO I am not claiming anything, but let me just point out as a matter of logic that one doesn’t exclude the other. He might be a Croatian hero and a war criminal (if proven) at the same time, as he could have at the same time defend his God given right to freedom and independence AND commit war crimes.

Again, I am not saying he has or has not as honestly I don’t know all the facts as well as you do. But I have to say everyone who has been accused of such crimes should be tried (on one hand) and should have the right to defend himself against the accusation, on the other.

post #9 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 16:25
IVO
International
World Class Player

Western European morality is as much a farce as communist utopia. They like to force us to abide by different rules from them.

As far as I'm concerned, del ponte and the hague in pursuing this indictment have committed a crime against not only Gotovina but the Republic of Croatia. As a result, she should be brought to Zagreb to face trial on these charges. Wanted...dead or alive
post #10 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 16:39
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO
Western European morality is as much a farce as communist utopia. They like to force us to abide by different rules from them.
I completly agree, all they want is to use our countries to there advantage. And what about there war criminals in Iraq who tortured and humiliated prisoners at Abu Graev? oh thats right they dont ever have to send anyone to the Hague cause as they put it "they deal with them on there own"
post #11 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 16:40
Star Player

Teams: CROATIAN NT, NK Zadar, Real Madrid CF
europeans are limp dicks. there are so aggresive to go after "war criminals" , but when a war breaks out in their backyard, they do nothing.

God bless the USA. at least we have teeth.

"When you have to shoot, shoot ..dont talk." -Tuco

formerly known as croguy
post #12 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 16:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by croguy
God bless the USA. at least we have teeth.
You should listen to the Nobel Literature Winner 05 Harold Pinter acceptance speech:

http://nobelprize.org/literature/lau...r-lecture.html

post #13 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 16:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO
Thats what I called "avoiding the issue". But anyway, I am not in any mood to brag about Gotovina and the Hague with you on this day in this Croatian forum.

post #14 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 16:50
gOD
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono
You should listen to the Nobel Literature Winner 05 Harold Pinter acceptance speech:

http://nobelprize.org/literature/lau...r-lecture.html

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces :frownani:
post #15 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 17:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD

He said its good they have teeth. I think Pinter will agree with the last part of the sentance.

post #16 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 17:05
gOD
Legend

I never saw you as such an 'agent provocateur', bono

post #17 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 17:10
IVO
International
World Class Player

Don't even bother tomorrow Bono..to hell with the hague and to hell with the eu.
post #18 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 17:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
I never saw you as such an 'agent provocateur', bono

Me :undecide:

I just heard the speech today. Its only 46 min . He is obviously a "bitter old man" but he has a point to make and makes it explicitly clearly. Of course, its only one side of the story but he is right that its a side that doesn’t get communicated hell of a lot these days. when he said "And I mean ..." and started naming all the countries where the US foreign policy got a good name for itself, it was quite chilling. What I find sad is that he also avoids teh other side of teh coin, what US has done good (and its a lot) and by avoiding that he is placing lest credit to his claims. But he is Harold Pinter after all. One of the greatest Play writer of our times and now a Nobel Winner.

post #19 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 17:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO
Don't even bother tomorrow Bono..to hell with the hague and to hell with the eu.

well, we already disagreed once on this one. Lets avoid a second one
But all I said is that you can be both - a hero and a criminal. Its not impossible.

post #20 of 166 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2005, 17:16
gOD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono
Me :undecide:

I just heard the speech today. Its only 46 min . He is obviously a "bitter old man" but he has a point to make and makes it explicitly clearly. Of course, its only one side of the story but he is right that its a side that doesn’t get communicated hell of a lot these days. when he said "And I mean ..." and started naming all the countries where the US foreign policy got a good name for itself, it was quite chilling. What I find sad is that he also avoids teh other side of teh coin, what US has done good (and its a lot) and by avoiding that he is placing lest credit to his claims. But he is Harold Pinter after all. One of the greatest Play writer of our times and now a Nobel Winner.

I heard it this morning and I must say I was impressed (I do not share your concerns, but this is not the place to discuss that) maybe because I am 'a bitter young man' . Next time they enact one of his plays here in Antwerp, I'll surely go watch it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in