Poisonous Nationalism - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 09:31 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Red Star Belgrade, Serbia
Poisonous Nationalism

Washingtonpost.com

In the five years since the downfall of Slobodan Milosevic, Serbia has made great strides in protecting human and minority rights, building democratic institutions and establishing a market economy. These accomplishments have been widely recognized, most recently by the commencement of talks with the European Union toward signing the Stabilization and Association Agreement. So much for what an Oct. 17 editorial described as "poisonous nationalism" in Serbia.

The real problem in Kosovo is Albanian nationalism that has led to the expulsion of more than 200,000 non-Albanians, the burning of 150 churches and the loss of human life despite international governance, monitoring and the presence of NATO-led troops.

Granting independence to Kosovo would dismember a sovereign state, which is against international law and could set a dangerous precedent in the region. Such a move also would be detrimental to the establishment of a multiethnic society. Advocating ethnic self-determination in the name of multiethnicity under circumstances in which the Serbs in Kosovo still fear for their lives is appeasing poisonous nationalism.

What is needed in Kosovo is more international presence, not less, so that the proclaimed standards of democratic civil society are met to a greater, rather than lesser, extent.

Recently, uniformed gangs have appeared in Albanian-dominated parts of Kosovo in defiance of the United Nations, the police force and the international troops.

This is ominous. Violence or threats of violence should not be rewarded by a promise of independence.

IVAN VUJACIC

Ambassador

Embassy of Serbia and Montenegro

Washington

The section highlighted is most important. Surely the United States is not that stupid.

Kosovo and the events that happened in 1999 has been done to death on these boards. Lets talk about what should happen, now.

"Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 10:14
©
International

The irony of it all...
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 13:12
Premier Player

Teams: Ehh guess...
Fantastic news, really surprising standpoint coming from the Serbian ambassador.

Maybe i should post a letter written by the pope where he clearly states that he believes in God, just to bring up some more surprising standpoints that we could debate.

PS

Its the highlighted section that is most important.

post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 13:47
BANNED!
Star Player

The Western nations prefer to keep an embarassed silence on Kosovo, now that Clinton and Albright are history, Blair is a joke and Cook is a corpse.
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 17:11
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Crazy bout Parma, Barcelona
I hate all nationalistic bullshit, it means you think you're better that someone which is bullshit. From America to France to Russia to India, its spreading, blind patriosm and it sucks
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 19:43
Rising Star

Teams: Manchester United; SV Werder Bremen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pac
I hate all nationalistic bullshit, it means you think you're better that someone which is bullshit. From America to France to Russia to India, its spreading, blind patriosm and it sucks
I take it then that you don't have a favorite for the World Cup ...

The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
- Al Batt -
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 19:53
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
Fleka

If you blame Albanians for the problems, and suggest that they are the ones unable to live in a democratic, multi-ethnic society ( and you also believe Kosovo should stay with Serbia, even though there is a good majority of Albanians living there)... Then, do you believe that RS too should remain part of BIH?
Do you believe in people living side by side if its just suits you? or do you actually believe it?
post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 19:58
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
Premier Player

Quote:
Why do you use nationalism and patriotism interchangeably? They are quite different
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 20:57
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawki
I take it then that you don't have a favorite for the World Cup ...
I will support teams based on their ability or whither I like the players in that team or their style of play.

Their nation has nothing to do with my choice
post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 20:59
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giureconsulto
Why do you use nationalism and patriotism interchangeably? They are quite different
Patriotism is part of nationalism, I would be all for nationalism and all that if it meant cleaning up your streets but it usually is used for other purpose, like Freedom fries etc . . . . . .
post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 21:47 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manijak
Fleka

If you blame Albanians for the problems, and suggest that they are the ones unable to live in a democratic, multi-ethnic society ( and you also believe Kosovo should stay with Serbia, even though there is a good majority of Albanians living there)... Then, do you believe that RS too should remain part of BIH?
Do you believe in people living side by side if its just suits you? or do you actually believe it?
Manijak

I would partion Kosovo as I would partition BiH. You see I am consistent.

"Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 21:48 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamovac11
The irony of it all...
Always did love Shakespeare.

post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 21:49
Rising Star

Quote:
Patriotism is part of nationalism, I would be all for nationalism and all that if it meant cleaning up your streets but it usually is used for other purpose, like Freedom fries etc . . . . . .
And Freedom Fries are part of a Happy Meal, your point is?

- Al Batt -
post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 21:49 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila_the_Nun
The Western nations prefer to keep an embarassed silence on Kosovo, now that Clinton and Albright are history, Blair is a joke and Cook is a corpse.

The best response so far.

post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 21:56
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleka
The best response so far.
Why? Cause your biased and you believe it?
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 22:05
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
Why? Cause your biased and you believe it?
OK if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy - Albright and Clinton are respected by all US citizens across the political spectrum, Blair is taken seriously by non-retards, and Robin Cook has risen from the grave and is back licking the backsides of your beloved terrorists as we speak.
post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 22:13 Thread Starter
International

Flo I actually think that Blair, Albright, Clinton and the like are all to blame for the fiasco that is Kosovo.

post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 22:14
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila_the_Nun
OK if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy - Albright and Clinton are respected by all US citizens across the political spectrum, Blair is taken seriously by non-retards, and Robin Cook has risen from the grave and is back licking the backsides of your beloved terrorists as we speak.
I must not be reading this correctly ... could you please clearify? Someone is critisizing the all mighty Bill Clinton??

- Al Batt -
post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 22:20
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleka
Flo I actually think that Blair, Albright, Clinton and the like are all to blame for the fiasco that is Kosovo.
I never looked at you believing otherwise Fleka.
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2005, 22:22
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
Yeah well, whoever knows what happened in Kossovo after the war finished, would tell you that the Albanians were allowed to run riot over the Serbians. With K-Force standing and watching/not daring to go out of their camps on fear of being ambused (delete according to the nationality of the soldiers). What NATO stopped the Serbian army from doing to the Albanian population of Kossovo, was allowed to be done by the UCK et al. to the Serbian population of Kossovo. An area that was Serbian by the way.

But hey, that war is finished so who cares about the consequences inflicted on the local population.

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in