Alito! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 22:31 Thread Starter
Lav
Legend

Teams: Hrvatska, A.C. Milan, Dinamo
Alito!

cute name

anyone got any real info on him? and no AP stories please....

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a manís soul and faith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 22:36
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
I have nothing to say except that it proves once again that this surely is a white man's world.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 22:46
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
I have nothing to say except that it proves once again that this surely is a white man's world.
...dadgum crackers.

Actually, I don't think he should have nominated a non-white or female candidate just for the sake of political correctness as some were urging Dubya to do, though at the end of the day I don't really care who the candidate is as long as he/she causes the two sets of lemmings to engage in another chick fight while I laugh and munch on popcorn.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 22:57
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav
cute name

anyone got any real info on him? and no AP stories please....
XT political forum is a great place to start researching Alito

Grŗcies Pare, descansi en pau.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 03:43 Thread Starter
Lav
Legend

yeah

u get a diverse range of opinions....

and i too would of liked a woman, latino or black rather

pity they hate gonzales i would of liked him jsut cause the evengelicals would of probably sued bush on the grounds that he violated their trust

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 03:45
Legend

Teams: Italia - Roma
That is funny. Alito in Italiano means "breath".
Alito cattivo = Bad Breath... GROSS.

Make Xtratime great again.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 12:39
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
If we've learned nothing else from this (and we haven't), it's that George W. Bush can be a fricking genius when he wants to be. I bet the Democrats that opposed Miers are crying into their porridge this morning.

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Cacžni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd Łber-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 13:08
International

Teams: Cro NT, NY Islanders, USA NT, Notre Dame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastin
If we've learned nothing else from this (and we haven't), it's that George W. Bush can be a fricking genius when he wants to be. I bet the Democrats that opposed Miers are crying into their porridge this morning.
Dems are an odd bunch. Harry Ried gave Bush, Harriet Miers as a pick he would make. Instead of supporting her when she was announced they all backed away. If most dems really thought she would've been liberal or moderate why not support her with the Republicans that would inevitably vote for her regardless. Instead of getting a very smart young conservative like this guy.

They should've came out in support of Miers earlier, instead of getting someone they didn't want. Should've taken advantage of Republicans fighting. But when it comes to playing the political game Dems have lost their stride and Republicans take full advantage.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 15:16
Star Player

Teams: Juventus, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav
yeah

pity they hate gonzales i would of liked him jsut cause the evengelicals would of probably sued bush on the grounds that he violated their trust
Would you have preferred Alito's sis?

:embarass: :embarass:
Are you watching enough TV?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 15:58
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav
yeah

Yeah the dems are in love with Gonzales as well i believe someone in the house gave him the nickname "Dr. Torture".
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 17:03 Thread Starter
Lav
Legend

dems like him cause they think that he will uphold roe v wade, as do i

my only issue with Miers was that i couldnt bear to look at her face any longer, and she seemed like a ditz, other then that im sure she would of become a liberal on the court, no doubt about that...

and personally i would of been inclined to vote for her

but yes the democrats are morons we all know that

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 17:25
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav
dems like him cause they think that he will uphold roe v wade, as do i
Remember he was apart of that whole torture stuff the lefties wanted to bring up. He was up on the hill for over a week just getting bashed.

With the Supreme court and Roe v. Wade i don't most Republicans would want Roe V. Wade overturned they know most Americans want it to be upheld. I think the issues bthe rightconcern about are more with things like Partial birth, parental notification and other legislation passed in the states and on the Hill being overturned by the lower courts. Things that the vast majority of Americans agree with them on and things that would still champion their aborition cause. The first Bush was rumored to once say with Roe v. Wade we have to protect ourselves from ourselves. Because its potentially a very bad political move.

And also remember abortion is as much as a state's rights issue as its an abortion issue. Why does the federal government say abortions are ok and states don't have the rights to deny an abortion? But with gay marriage, death penalty, assisted suicide the courts have given the states those rights. It makes little sense to me and their seems to be now consistency. No real principles shown by either party particularly from the Dems on what exactly should be a states rights?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 17:55
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian batman
With the Supreme court and Roe v. Wade i don't most Republicans would want Roe V. Wade overturned they know most Americans want it to be upheld.
I don't think that most Republicans care what the other lot think. Whilst, ideologically, the core of the Republican Party shouldn't oppose Roe v Wade, it has become too powerful a political symbol to simply forget. I'm pretty sure that most of them have already forgotten why they adopted the stance. From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, and all that. It's a recipe for tragedy.
Quote:
And also remember abortion is as much as a state's rights issue as its an abortion issue. Why does the federal government say abortions are ok and states don't have the rights to deny an abortion? But with gay marriage, death penalty, assisted suicide the courts have given the states those rights. It makes little sense to me and their seems to be now consistency. No real principles shown by either party particularly from the Dems on what exactly should be a states rights?
That's the point that I've never really understood. I could understand the proscription of abortion by interpretation of the present Constitution (if a foetus is interpreted as being a human), but not protecting the right to an abortion. Surely, that's the clearest cut case of the 10th Amendment guaranteeing the states a right? Not even the loosest constructionists, of the kind that put Essex constructionists to shame, could read 'abortions for all' in the Constitution.

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Cacžni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd Łber-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "

Last edited by Bastin; November 1st, 2005 at 18:26.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 18:14
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav
Oh, hell no. Illegal immigration is already bad enough with the government giving only a quarter of a shit because its cheap labor for businesses and makes the candy asses feel warm and fuzzy for helping "economic refugees." We don't need to make it even worse by putting someone on the Supreme Court who views illegals as "being just like all other citizens, but without the papers."
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2005, 19:46
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastin
That's the point that I've never really understood. I could understand the proscription of abortion by interpretation of the present Constitution (if a foetus is interpreted as being a human), but not protecting the right to an abortion. Surely, that's the clearest cut case of the 10th Amendment guaranteeing the states a right? Not even the loosest constructionists, of the kind that put Essex constructionists to shame, could read 'abortions for all' in the Constitution.

WOOOHHH

Someone has a law degree. Too many big words.

But i get your point. If theirs no amendment added to the constitution stating that states don't have the right to legislate abortion then how doesn't Roe v. Wade step all over the 10th amendment? I think the founding fathers envisioned the social issues of their time to be decided by the states.

Personally either amend the constitution and put the Roe v Wade decision in their. Or let the states decide it on their own. It should be handled in similar fashion to gay marriage. Bush and Repubs didn't have enough votes for an amendment so then they had no choice but to let the states legislatures and voters decide that issue.

But Bastin, its all politics. Dems love Roe v. Wade and its basis limiting the states power but don't want Gay marriage to come before the Supreme Court because they know most likely they will lose. So they scream states right with that issue because they know they have a better chance to advance their issue through the states rather then nationally. And their similar examples with Republicans.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:28 Thread Starter
Lav
Legend

of course batman

a party only panders, and they will pander whichever way suits them best each time

thing is i do belive that abortion is your choice, and as such there should be no govt intervention in it....i mean if u wanna kill yourself, u should be able to, if u wanna abort your feutus, you should be able to, jsut like if u dont wanna wear a damn helmet u shouldnt ahve to

as for states rights...it will jsut make ppl travel across a state line to get it done, which will just make it inconvenient, and what happens when they return? will they be tried for homicide in thier home state?

as for gay marrige, i dont even understand why its an issue, speaking from a law point of view, its a piece of paper that changes your taxes, credit, insurance and choice over your life in a terri schiavo situation.....if 2 ppl want that, why should we care....they arnt making us do it, or something.

i think that legislating morality (abortion and gay marrige) is silly as who is to determine what is right and wrong for you as a person, as long as you dont harm anyone who is on the other side....and neither of these has any interaction or need for those to oppose it to be involved in any way, so its really silly

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2005, 13:14
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav
of course batman

a party only panders, and they will pander whichever way suits them best each time

thing is i do belive that abortion is your choice, and as such there should be no govt intervention in it....i mean if u wanna kill yourself, u should be able to, if u wanna abort your feutus, you should be able to, jsut like if u dont wanna wear a damn helmet u shouldnt ahve to

as for states rights...it will jsut make ppl travel across a state line to get it done, which will just make it inconvenient, and what happens when they return? will they be tried for homicide in thier home state?

as for gay marrige, i dont even understand why its an issue, speaking from a law point of view, its a piece of paper that changes your taxes, credit, insurance and choice over your life in a terri schiavo situation.....if 2 ppl want that, why should we care....they arnt making us do it, or something.

i think that legislating morality (abortion and gay marrige) is silly as who is to determine what is right and wrong for you as a person, as long as you dont harm anyone who is on the other side....and neither of these has any interaction or need for those to oppose it to be involved in any way, so its really silly
We legislate morality all the time public lewdness, flashing etc. We have a mountain of laws which could be put under a losse morality basis. If we let people do whatever they so please we wouldn't have a society at all.

Who said politicians would set up moral issues. The government wouldn't decide what would be right for their citizens but the people of the states would decide. If Roe v. Wade was overturned then all 50 states would have a voter proposition stating whether or not abortion should be legal in that state. Its the same system they used for gay marriage and other social/moral issues of the time.

The problem is when politicians and the court try to undermine the will of the people whether it be on the federal or state level. Many try to overturn the people's their legislature which might nor accurately reflect the true mood of the people or by getting a state or federal court to deem something unconstitutional that the people voted for. Thats why i firmly believe that when the people speak on proposition that people respect as hard as that may be for some in our country. (Pereect example of this undermining of people's will is the last few years of the gay marriage issue. State voters vote against it. But a bunch of far left wing judges see fit to throw out the people's will and legislate his minority opinion on the rest of the state. That's wrong)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2005, 17:58 Thread Starter
Lav
Legend

Quote:
We legislate morality all the time public lewdness, flashing etc. We have a mountain of laws which could be put under a losse morality basis. If we let people do whatever they so please we wouldn't have a society at all.

Who said politicians would set up moral issues. The government wouldn't decide what would be right for their citizens but the people of the states would decide. If Roe v. Wade was overturned then all 50 states would have a voter proposition stating whether or not abortion should be legal in that state. Its the same system they used for gay marriage and other social/moral issues of the time.

The problem is when politicians and the court try to undermine the will of the people whether it be on the federal or state level. Many try to overturn the people's their legislature which might nor accurately reflect the true mood of the people or by getting a state or federal court to deem something unconstitutional that the people voted for. Thats why i firmly believe that when the people speak on proposition that people respect as hard as that may be for some in our country. (Pereect example of this undermining of people's will is the last few years of the gay marriage issue. State voters vote against it. But a bunch of far left wing judges see fit to throw out the people's will and legislate his minority opinion on the rest of the state. That's wrong)
i dont think your opinion or mine on gay marrige matters, i think the only one which does is of the two people who wish to enter it. thats my argument.

and as for lewdness and flashin, well the reason they are legislated is that they impact us, if chicks were topless suddenly i would be more prone to car accidents by staring at their tits. those are things that impact me....

how would i ever know two men are married? i wouldnt, and even if i did it would have no impact on my daily life, or any sort of life, i can belive its wrong if i choose to, but i cant tell them not to do it, they dont harm anyone.

thats the point

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2005, 21:44
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav
i dont think your opinion or mine on gay marrige matters, i think the only one which does is of the two people who wish to enter it. thats my argument.

and as for lewdness and flashin, well the reason they are legislated is that they impact us, if chicks were topless suddenly i would be more prone to car accidents by staring at their tits. those are things that impact me....

how would i ever know two men are married? i wouldnt, and even if i did it would have no impact on my daily life, or any sort of life, i can belive its wrong if i choose to, but i cant tell them not to do it, they dont harm anyone.

thats the point
Thats your point of view? A big difference. I'm not arguing the merits of any social issue what I'm arguing is about the courts and politicians trampling on the will of the people in key social/moral issues. Overriding the people's votes in propositions etc.

In a democratic nation your allowed to believe whatever you want. But if the people in a democratic nation wan't Roe v. Wade upheld leave it be, if they don't want gay marriage let it be, etc. You can argue all you want against those two ideas but if the people want it and have voted on it i see no reason to change laws. The people's will must be respected and no citizen like their vote disrespected by the courts or a politicians forcing something down their throat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in