Universities - World Rankings - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 15:46 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Universities - World Rankings

OXFORD and Cambridge are among the world's top ten universities, according to a new global ranking published today.

They were fifth and sixth respectively in the league table of the world's 200 best universities. Harvard, which boasts an endowment of nearly $23billion (Ł12.7billion), was first in the list produced by The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES).

American institutions occupied seven of the top ten places, with Oxbridge the highest-ranked outside the United States.

London's position as a centre of global educational significance was confirmed with four institutions in the top 50. The London School of Economics was 11th, Imperial College 14th, University College London 34th, and the School of Oriental and African Studies 44th.

The only European university outside Britain in the top 20 was the Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland, in tenth place.

Cambridge, Massachusetts, however, can lay claim to being the world's most intellectual city, as home to Harvard and to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which was ranked at No3.

California also scored highly, with the University of California, Berkeley, in second place, the California Institute of Technology, fourth, and Stanford seventh.

Tokyo University, in Japan, ranked at No12, was the highest-ranked institution in Asia, followed by Beijing University at No17.

Australian universities featured particularly well. Six were among the top 50 in the World University Rankings, led by the Australian National University in sixteenth place.

France, by contrast, managed just two universities in the top 50, with the École Polytechnique in 27th place and École Normale Supérieure 30th. Heidelburg University, in 47th place, was Germany's only entry, one fewer than Hong Kong.

Britain was home to 18 of Europe's top 50 universities, and six of the top ten, but not a single institution from Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece made the list. The United States had 62 of the top 200 universities, followed by Britain with 30, Germany 17 and Australia 14. Twenty-nine countries were represented in the global rankings overall.

Universities were placed in the table with the help of findings from a survey for the THES of 1,300 academics in 88 countries. They were asked to name the best institutions in the fields that they felt knowledgeable about.

The table also included data on the amount of cited research produced by faculty members as an indicator of intellectual vitality, the ratio of faculty to student numbers and a university's success in attracting foreign students and internationally renowned academics in the global market for education. The five factors were weighted and transformed against a scale that gave the top university 1,000 points and ranked everyone else as a proportion of that score.

Harvard, whose faculty members have won 40 Nobel prizes, emerged as the world's best university by a considerable distance, with second-placed Berkeley rated 120 points behind at 880.2. Oxford scored 731.8, slightly ahead of Cambridge on 725.4.

John O'Leary, Editor of the THES, said: "Leading universities increasingly define themselves in terms of international competition. By taking account of the views of academics from across five continents and using the most up-to-date statistics, our ranking gives an informed picture of the world's top universities."

A world league of the best 500 research universities, published in September by academics at Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China, placed Cambridge third behind Harvard and Stanford. Oxford came eighth, while British universities ranked second overall behind those in the United States.

Last December a report by Richard Lambert, former Editor of the Financial Times, urged the Russell Group of Britain's leading 19 universities to establish a league table of the world's best research institutions, by which they could measure their own performances.

See also: http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2005/ARWU2005_Top100.htm

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 15:48 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I don't really believe in quantifying something like universities. It's quite subjective. But so much for the myth of inferior American edjumacation, huh? Like wow! Totally!

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 15:57
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
. Heidelburg University, in 47th place, was Germany's only entry,
[/url]
surprising they had an entry at all

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 15:58
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

According to that ranking Utrecht is the best Dutch university (41) and Leiden second (72). That can't be right. I think Maastricht is the best Dutch uni. Leiden second, ok. At least I (briefly) studied there, so I can brag about having attended a top 100 university.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:00
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Quote:
But so much for the myth of inferior American edjumacation, huh?
And which percentage of Americans get to places like Harvard, UC-whichever, MIT, etc.?
Which percentage of students there are in fact foreigners or recent immigrants?
I'm not trying to make a statement one way or the other, and I sure don't doubt that the American universities are among the best in the world if not, in fact, THE best. It's just some food for thought.

Quote:
I don't really believe in quantifying something like universities.
I agree. Especially if this survey is based on asking a bunch of people what they think about them...I mean how do you measure something like this? Amount of research that comes out? That tells you how good the faculty is but not how good they are at sharing that knowledge with the students. Student satisfaction? Can be completely unrelated to the curriculum. How much the students feel they learned? Subjective. How succesful the alumni of that university are once they're out and about? That could just be due to a good student recruitment policy. And so on...

btw where is Paris-Sorbonne on this list? Aren't they highly regarded for social studies...
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:00
Xtratime Elite

my uni is ranked 51st, but I wouldn't consider it any good at all.
but I finished in 97, maybe times are changin'. but I doubt.
at least in german surveys the uni münchen has always had very bad results.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:01 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo
According to that ranking Utrecht is the best Dutch university (41) and Leiden second (72). That can't be right. I think Maastricht is the best Dutch uni. Leiden second, ok. At least I (briefly) studied there, so I can brag about having attended a top 100 university.
kool boyo!

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:02 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

The ranking in the article and the rankings in the link are not the same. I wonder what the difference is?

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:05
Xtratime Elite

I also think the quality of universities as a whole is difficult to work out.
To see how the rankings are in the several faculties they provide would be more interesting.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:06
Star Player

Teams: Juventus, Ireland
Wonder where the author got his/her maths/economics degree. $23 billion is closer to 16 billion sterling.

:embarass: :embarass:
Are you watching enough TV?
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:08 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubh-bán
Wonder where the author got his/her maths/economics degree. $23 billion is closer to 16 billion sterling.
here's the link dubh. Thankfully its a British writer and not American!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...343642,00.html

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:18
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
The ranking in the article and the rankings in the link are not the same. I wonder what the difference is?
Duh won who road duh article prolly duhdn't goto a top 100 uni himsalve.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:22 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Duh won who road duh article prolly duhdn't goto a top 100 uni himsalve.
heyheyehehehheeee11!! Prolly goed to the the University of Totti.

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 16:38
Star Player

Teams: Juventus, Ireland
Quote:
heyheyehehehheeee11!! Prolly goed to the the University of Totti.
Speaking of which, has anyone compiled the list of universities with the hottest chicks? That'd be more innerestin'.

Are you watching enough TV?
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 17:00
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
If only they had used the "number of students double majoring in Afro-Hatian Dance/Human Sexuality" coefficient divided by the number of seventh year juniors, San Francisco State University would have been right up there with our fancy Bear/Cardinal neighbors to the East and to the South.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 18:39 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Patiently awaiting the arrival of Bastin who will surely tell us why Cambridge is superior to Harvard!

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 18:51
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Quote:
Speaking of which, has anyone compiled the list of universities with the hottest chicks? That'd be more innerestin'.
A few years ago, Rede Globo (main open TV channel here) had a program that showed that the PUC-MG, had the most beautiful woman/Meter in Brazil where the Law, Psycologhy, Communication buildings had contact...That works ?

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 18:58
International

Teams: Cro NT, NY Islanders, USA NT, Notre Dame
Shouldn't one of the three US military academies be on that list. Those schools are very very hard to get into. And why no Notre Dame??? Its one of the "New Ivy's".
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 19:01
World Class Player

Quote:
Maastricht is far too experimential, Utrecht is big nothing more than that, Leiden is old and traditional with a decent reputation but Tilburg's scores are usually the best. In Economics/Econometrics they're apparently the world's best, even better than Oxford Cambridge and the top US unis.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2005, 19:06
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
funny actually, we have a top 100 university here in Leiden while apparantly according to some poll the dumbest people in Holland on average live in Leiden. What would the stats have been without us students ? p

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in