Do you support Capital Punishment yes/No and why? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 04:47 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Do you support Capital Punishment yes/No and why?

I wanted to know the views from you guys about your opinions on your thoughts about capital punishment.If you support it Yes or No and why do you have this opinion?Does it matter on certain crimes of course committed by one also has to be the key question.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 09:36
Premier Player

Teams: Ehh guess...
No!

1. Innocent people have been, and will be executed.
2. Its a harder punishment to sit in a cell the rest of your life without the possibility to be released (which should be the punishment instead).
post #3 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 09:48 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Basically as I see it if someone has committed cold blooded murder for e.g they deserve to die,next for those who have sexually assaulted or molested the Innocence of Children can follow suit and then I'd go on those involved in drugs you know my opinion.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy

post #4 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 13:18
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
Yes, we do know your opinion, all too well.

I support capital punishment for multiple murder, murder of a police officer or soldier, and treason. Anyone that suggests it be introduced/reintroduced/maintained for rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers, or anyone remotely distasteful for the tabloid press is clearly onto a losing cause.

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Cacěni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd über-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "
post #5 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 13:20
International

Teams: Cro NT, NY Islanders, USA NT, Notre Dame
No i don't like captial punishment.

But here in the US its an issue for the states to decide not the feds.
post #6 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 13:37
World Class Player
World Class Player

Except when it's a federal offence, of course.

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

post #7 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 14:06
International

Teams: Cro NT, NY Islanders, USA NT, Notre Dame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastin
Except when it's a federal offence, of course.
Thats cool with the batman along as they don't force their decisions down states throats.
post #8 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 14:20
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Yes, we do know your opinion, all too well.

I support capital punishment for multiple murder, murder of a police officer or soldier, and treason. Anyone that suggests it be introduced/reintroduced/maintained for rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers, or anyone remotely distasteful for the tabloid press is clearly onto a losing cause.
Why is the murder of someone who is statistically likely to be a workshy, cowardly, dishonest parasite apparently deemed worse than the murder of a child?
post #9 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 14:35
World Class Player
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila_the_Nun
Why is the murder of someone who is statistically likely to be a workshy, cowardly, dishonest parasite apparently deemed worse than the murder of a child?
Because that person is the primary representation of the law, and rejection of the authority of the law, to such an extent as to murder a police officer, is far worse than murdering someone in other circumstances.

And let's not be describing police officers as dishonest parasites. In Russia, fine (see the poll in last week's Economist), but not in the UK. There's nothing about the profession that makes an officer inherently workshy, cowardly, dishonest, or parasitic; the government is responsible for screwing up a honourable and noble profession, and making police officers work less efficient and capably as might be possible. If that's the only problem with them, that has to be changed, too.

post #10 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 14:42
BANNED!
Star Player

Russian police are corrupt, yes, but are much better than the British Police, who have a culture of extreme physical cowardice and an aversion to earning their salaries.
Killing them could be viewed as the act of a patriot attempting to save the taxpayer from subsidising a 1970s-style Red-Robbo-inspired workforce.
post #11 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 14:49
World Class Player
World Class Player

Quote:
Russian police are corrupt, yes, but are much better than the British Police, who have a culture of extreme physical cowardice and an aversion to earning their salaries.
If that's the case, anyone that murders a policeman would have to be going out of his way, even more than he would otherwise, to commit the crime. Even worse!

post #12 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 14:51
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

They can't be as bad as Dutch police officers, who routinely get beat up by 14 year old girls.

Well, ok not routinely. It only happened twice in one month. The other girls who beat up police officers are aged 14 and up.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #13 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:00
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
Quote:
Because that person is the primary representation of the law, and rejection of the authority of the law, to such an extent as to murder a police officer, is far worse than murdering someone in other circumstances.
But there are certain circumstances that sometimes bring violence upon the police. The problem is that the police can be aggressive Bastin, sometimes without good reason too. So killing a policeman is not worse than killing a civilian de facto because sometimes there are other issues involved. Any cold blood murder, be that against a policeman or soldier or civilian is a cold blood murder. It's the circumstances of a murder that should be examined, rather than the proffession of the murdered person. Should shooting a MP be considered worse than shooting a McDonalds salesman?

Quote:
And let's not be describing police officers as dishonest parasites.
I still haven't come across a policeforce of any country that did not have bad apples. Really bad apples. Not all of them are like that, but some of them are; enough of them to give the entire police a bad name.

As for the topic, I'm against the death penalty for any degree of crime. Not because some people don't deserve to die but because the risk of someone innocent getting executed is there, and because I don't think that any legal system can guarandee that this won't happen.

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.
post #14 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:07
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Rejection of the authority of British Law is a tradition which goes back centuries among our leaders; possibly to the extent that respect for the law could be termed 'un-British'. It is a much-loved tradition of our justice system to be obviously bent and farcical but nevertheless spoken about with awe and reverence.
post #15 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:09
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Should shooting a MP be considered worse than shooting a McDonalds salesman?
They are both an appalling waste of ammunition - take a machete to the buggers and chuck 'em on the compost heap, no fuss and nonsense.
post #16 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:21
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungaria
No!

1. Innocent people have been, and will be executed.
2. Its a harder punishment to sit in a cell the rest of your life without the possibility to be released (which should be the punishment instead).
:thmbup:

I completely agree with hungaria here :eekani:

Must be an alignment of planets today or smt.
post #17 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:28
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrija PFC

Must be an alignment of planets today or smt.
I was about to say the same
post #18 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:34
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrija PFC

poor hungy, I don't think he's glad about somebody agreeing with him
post #19 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:36
World Class Player
World Class Player

Quote:
Rejection of the authority of British Law is a tradition which goes back centuries among our leaders; possibly to the extent that respect for the law could be termed 'un-British'. It is a much-loved tradition of our justice system to be obviously bent and farcical but nevertheless spoken about with awe and reverence.
There's a line between mocking the law and killing a police officer.
Quote:
But there are certain circumstances that sometimes bring violence upon the police. The problem is that the police can be aggressive Bastin, sometimes without good reason too. So killing a policeman is not worse than killing a civilian de facto because sometimes there are other issues involved. Any cold blood murder, be that against a policeman or soldier or civilian is a cold blood murder. It's the circumstances of a murder that should be examined, rather than the proffession of the murdered person.
When did I ever claim that all of those committing those crimes should be executed? The debate over capital punishment (or proper life sentences, neutering of sex offenders, etc) always concerns the maximum tariff, not the minimum tariff.
Quote:
As for the topic, I'm against the death penalty for any degree of crime. Not because some people don't deserve to die but because the risk of someone innocent getting executed is there, and because I don't think that any legal system can guarandee that this won't happen.
And what if someone is imprisoned unjustly? Can you give that person 10/20/50 years of his or her life back? With just as much difficulty as bringing a person back to life. The same judges preside over the two different kinds of trials. (In this country) The same juries make the ruling. The moment that you question the fairness of a judge handing down a death sentence, for fear of getting it wrong, is the moment that you question any judge handing down any sentence. After all, they could be wrong, too.

post #20 of 196 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:43
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
Quote:
The moment that you question the fairness of a judge handing down a death sentence, for fear of getting it wrong, is the moment that you question any judge handing down any sentence.
I am. And this has little to do with the judgement of the judges itself, but with the nature of the various procedures and the way they are influenced by external factors like the press/goverment intervention/economical and social status of the defendant etc.

But while 10 years in jail is hardly something you can give back, but life is even harder, isn't it?

Got your point about the policemen though. I don't really see the point of it but I see where you're coming from, although I suspect discussing the circumstances the maximum penalty would be handed out would lead to more disagreement.

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in