Revelations that cause much shock!!! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2005, 18:32 Thread Starter
International

Revelations that cause much shock!!!

Suit: Siegfried taunts, torments, humiliates his magician partner Roy

By Lisa Sweetingham, Court TV Wed Oct 26, 6:25 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Court TV) — The bodyguard who once protected tiger tamer Roy Horn of the Siegfried & Roy magic duo claims that Siegfried Fischbacher is a "tyrant" who overmedicates and humiliates the ailing Horn, who is still recovering from a tiger-mauling incident.

"Siegfried was a tyrant and had loud, explosive outbursts at the plaintiff and at Roy," says the civil suit filed by Louis Mydlach, a former Siegfried & Roy insider.

"[Fischbacher] forced Roy to take medication, even when Roy begged to not be medicated," the suit claims.

Siegfried is also accused of refusing to hire competent medical workers to look after Horn's day-to-day needs, and painting a picture in the media of the "amazing physical rehabilitation of Roy" when those close to the star knew "it was all propaganda."

Mydlach says his role changed from that of security guard to caretaker, "in all the undignified matters concerning his debilitating condition ... including personal care cleaning, bathing and various bathroom duties."

Mydlach, who reportedly has no attorney, filed the suit himself on Oct. 11. He is seeking at least $10,000 in damages for emotional distress and wrongful discharge.

Horn, 61, was mauled on stage by one of his 380-pound white tigers during a "Siegfried & Roy" show at the Mirage in 2003. He is still in rehabilitation, he told the Las Vegas Sun earlier this month, and suffers partial paralysis after being attacked by Montecore, the white tiger he still visits, allegedly in ill-fitting clothes.

"[Fischbacher] declined to purchase new clothing for Roy, and Roy's clothing had to be pinned up to stay on because of his drastic loss of weight, causing him embarrassment and a loss of self-esteem," Mydlach's suit claims.

The bodyguard says he was on anti-depressants from the stress of having to watch as Horn "lay tormented" and "scared" of Fischbacher. He left his position last winter, and says he is still "haunted and distressed" by his concern for Horn.

During his tenure working at the pair's mansion, Mydlach claims he and Horn shared a secret code so that Horn could cue him whenever he needed to be removed from any uncomfortable situations.

He says that at Horn's request, he provided the magician with an emergency cellphone and a knife, "so that he could protect himself" from Siegfried whenever Mydlach was not there.

Shortly after his position ended, Mydlach says he received "dead air" phone calls from the emergency number he gave to Horn, but has been denied access to the property to check on his friend.

Mydlach, 34, met Siegfried and Roy as a child when they hired his father's company for security services. He says he has a "close and almost familial relationship," with Horn, but presumably not close enough to give him legal rights over Horn's care.

"As a non-family member," his suit states, "plaintiff believes that he has no standing to request that the courts grant him guardianship of Roy or to request that Roy be given an independent medical consultation."

Mydlach could not be reached for comment, but he told the Las Vegas Review Journal that he had photos, video and documentation to support his allegations.

Fischbacher's lawyer, John Moran Jr., issued a statement calling the allegations "totally false" and branding Mydlach "disgruntled."

"This complaint will be zealously defended against," Moran said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ct/20051026/...cianpartnerroy

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2005, 18:33 Thread Starter
International

its heartbreaking as well as absurd.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2005, 18:51
BANNED!
Star Player

I remember the Tiger mauling incident - it was a big worry whether or not he'd be OK after such an incident. I think we all feared the worst, but thankfully the news came through that the Tiger hadn't contracted the HIV virus.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 03:06
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
I'm surprised that Roy suffered as many injuries to his head as he did - I didn't think there was an animal capable of penetrating that helmet of hairspray of his. Goes to show how truly powerful these felines really are.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 03:24
Legend

Teams: Italia - Roma
Rumors here in Vegas say that the tigers are also gay.

Make Xtratime great again.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 03:27
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Not all of them, just some of them.

I have a cousin who knows these things.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 06:41
Legend

Teams: Italia - Roma
Interesting...yeah...

Make Xtratime great again.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 08:40
Star Player

Teams: Juventus, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila_the_Nun
I remember the Tiger mauling incident - it was a big worry whether or not he'd be OK after such an incident. I think we all feared the worst, but thankfully the news came through that the Tiger hadn't contracted the HIV virus.
You disgust me, with your 'HIV Virus', your 'PIN Number' and 'ATM Machine' and most likely 'LCD Display'.

:embarass: :embarass:
Are you watching enough TV?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 12:05
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubh-bán
You disgust me, with your 'HIV Virus', your 'PIN Number' and 'ATM Machine' and most likely 'LCD Display'.
I can now view most accronyms and stay calm, apart from PSV Eindhoven
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 13:43
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
You're not the only one disgusted, dubh-bán. Technically, only PIN is an acronym.

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Caćni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd über-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 14:31
BANNED!
Star Player

Ah, the penny drops (sorry for the delay). The unnecessary repetition. I have no idea what HIV stands for so I was unaware of the crime I committed, and since there was no mens rea I hereby acquit myself.

Bastin, LCD is an acronym = Liquid Crystal Display. Or are you going to introduce another definition of acronym?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 14:40
World Class Player
World Class Player

Quote:
Bastin, LCD is an acronym = Liquid Crystal Display. Or are you going to introduce another definition of acronym?
An acronym has form a pronouncable word that is pronounced in that way. Thus, PATRIOT (as in USA PATRIOT Act) is an acronym, because it's pronounced as "patriot". Ditto PIN, LASER, SCUBA, AIDS, NATO, etc. However, LCD is pronounced as a series of letters, so isn't an acronym. It's an initialism.

Carry on.

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:03
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastin
An acronym has form a pronouncable word that is pronounced in that way. Thus, PATRIOT (as in USA PATRIOT Act) is an acronym, because it's pronounced as "patriot". Ditto PIN, LASER, SCUBA, AIDS, NATO, etc. However, LCD is pronounced as a series of letters, so isn't an acronym. It's an initialism.

Carry on.
I disagree that it has to be pronouncable, because the boundary is too nebulous. Example: CSKA is usually pronounced Tseska, but I also hear 'Si-Es-Key-Ey' and neither is incorrect; so I'm not having the definition of a written form being decided by the pronunciation preferences of a speaker.
I would also dispute whether 'initialism' is good English, or whether it a new religion you've just founded.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:27
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
So how is CSKA supposed to be pronounced? I thought it was Tse-Es-Ka.

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:29
World Class Player
World Class Player

Quote:
I disagree that it has to be pronouncable, because the boundary is too nebulous. Example: CSKA is usually pronounced Tseska, but I also hear 'Si-Es-Key-Ey' and neither is incorrect; so I'm not having the definition of a written form being decided by the pronunciation preferences of a speaker.
There has to be a distinction between acronyms and initialisms, because they perform very different roles in pronunciation. Were a dictionary to call all of them 'acronyms' (or 'initialisms'), there'd be trouble.

CSKA being foreign, it is far more dependent upon preference. The same is true of some English ones, too (VAT, SATs, WHO, etc), but they are few and far between.
Quote:
I would also dispute whether 'initialism' is good English, or whether it a new religion you've just founded.
Initialism was the first term of the two to be used (in the OED in 1899, as opposed to 'acronym' in 1943). Most acronyms are special forms of initialisms (although not all are, e.g. Interpol, Gestapo). Surely, as a (sometime) English teacher, you should know the difference.

Carry on.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 15:33
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Yes, that's better with the double 'e'. But I don't think anyone says Tse-es-ka-a in Russia, so the first two letters are pronounced but the last two merge, which would make it half an acronym and half an 'initialism' chez Bastin.
I suppose we can save time and call them all abbreviations.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2005, 03:33
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I always thought ATM was pronounced, a-tim?! So, to me at least, it's an acronym.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2005, 03:35
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Really? I always pronounced ksaka in my mind...

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2005, 04:12
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
"initialism"? That's a new one. I thought "initialisms" were just plain old - abbreviations. Acronyms being a special type of abbreviation. Anyways...
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2005, 12:33
World Class Player
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrija PFC
"initialism"? That's a new one. I thought "initialisms" were just plain old - abbreviations. Acronyms being a special type of abbreviation. Anyways...
Both initialisms and acronyms are forms of abbreviation, and, most of the time, they overlap. However, they do not cover all abbreviations (e.g. "Abbrev." is neither an initialism nor an acronym), and it is neither necessary nor sufficient for an acronym to be an initialism. Thus, the three are different things.

As fun as this discourse on abbreviations is, I do urge you to Carry On.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in