Anyone else disgusted already? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 02:38 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Cro NT, NY Islanders, USA NT, Notre Dame
Anyone else disgusted already?

By the coverage of the bird flu?

I think the media really really loves to terrify people on trivial stupid things like this. Whether it be Sars, Bird Flu, Mad Cow etc. These diseases have killed like a grand total of 5 people at best. I think one would have a better chance of getting killed by a pack of wild donkeys then contracting one of these disease. Yet for some reason this makes front page stuff.

And the best part now is the government is probably now spending more money finding research for Bird Flu now then cancer research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 02:45
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
The others I dont know,but you shouldn't underestimate Sars,god knows it is/was serious.

Dont worry too much of what makes the front pages.After all,while people where starving and getting killed in various big conflicts,what made the front pages was some silly bride who ran away,and some playboy average actor who screwed the nanny.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 02:49 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman
The others I dont know,but you shouldn't underestimate Sars,god knows it is/was serious.

Dont worry too much of what makes the front pages.After all,while people where starving and getting killed in various big conflicts,what made the front pages was some silly bride who ran away,and some playboy average actor who screwed the nanny.
Brad Pitt or a war. HMMM. Brad Pitt is cute though

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 02:51
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
I agree the media likes to scare people, but diseases are serious business, and this sort of media coverage can push governments to take preventive measures (which is the only reason "like only 5 people" have been killed so far) and people to be more careful. I'm against paranoia but when it comes to infectious diseases I'd rather be on the safe side.

SARS is no joke btw, who knows how many thousands it killed in China, with the government just not reporting it. In the West it's different of course, partly due to the openness and media pressure.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 03:39
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian batman
Brad Pitt or a war. HMMM. Brad Pitt is cute though
It was Jude Law, not Brad Pitt.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 04:25
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Drama sells, which is why the media loves to sensationalize everything. At the same time, I'd imagine a lot of people would be upset about not having been warned enough if a pandemic were to break out and the media had not reported much on the possibility of it occuring.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 05:23
International

Teams: Red Star Belgrade, Serbia
My understanding is that it cannot be transmitted human to human. Only bird to human.

"Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 07:37
aca
International

Teams: Lazio
That is the situation now, but they expect it to mutate.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 09:02
Premier Player

Teams: PAO, Celtic, Greek NT, Lions, Pistons, Wings
This is no scare tactic, the threat of an avian flu pandemic is very real. The only thing keeping the avian flu down is as was previously stated its inability to transmit human-human. However flu mutates very easily as its an RNA virus not a DNA virus. RNA viruses mutate easily because RNA replication systems dont have the same error checking systems that DNA systems have, therefore the chance of a mutation occuring in an RNA virus is increased on the order of 10^6 (one million).

Right now the Asian avian flu (H5N1) is extremely lethal. It has been known to kill on the order of a third of the people it infects and there is currently no well distributed vaccine available.

Im very glad that the issue has received the attention it has, this means that the major corporations and govts are willing to give concerned researchers the resources they need to come up with good containment measures to prevent the deaths of millions given the flu doesnt mutate soon.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 09:09
Star Player

Teams: Juventus, Ireland
It's irresponsible, the papers should be warning us about impending earthquakes and hurricanes so we can save tens of thousands of lives instead of the lives of four people who can't cook chicken properly.

:embarass: :embarass:
Are you watching enough TV?
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 12:36
Star Player

Teams: Galatasaray, Milan, TURKIYE
Tell me that you are kidding right?

When I used to live in US, during september october (hurricane season) the only news you saw on the TV was hurricanes. Now hurricane is 400 miles off the coast, now it has changed it course, now it is coming etc...

Media gives the exact location of where the hurricane is going to hit and if it changes its course they report that too. So they do warn about hurricanes weeks before.

Most of the people who died in the recent earthquakes were the people who refused to leave their homes since they had no other place to go. Hence most of them were unfortunately African Americans with low income or other elderlies who were just living on some retirement plan who couldn't afford to leave their home and go somewhere else.

Earthquakes are a different case because there is no way to tell when or where it is going to happen. So far only animals can sense it just before it is going to happen and that does not help of course. So all media can do is to pay attention to the aftermath.

And this bird flu thing is a serious case that needs attention too. Firstly there is no cure for it. If you catch it, you die. Secondly there were not many deaths because the media paid a lot of attention to it and the governments (including mine) responded accordingly. And lastly if this thing mutates and becomes transferrable from human to human than we got a serious problem but it looks like it is not going to get to that.

"Without struggle there is no progress" Frederick Douglas.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 12:57
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubh-bán
It's irresponsible, the papers should be warning us about impending earthquakes and hurricanes so we can save tens of thousands of lives instead of the lives of four people who can't cook chicken properly.
I think they are worried that it will be as bad as the flu pandemic after WW1, which killed more people than WW1, so for once I sympathise with the doom-and-gloom merchants.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 13:16
Star Player

Teams: Juventus, Ireland
For the record, yes, I was kidding.
Also, for the record, fatality rates are around 50% for avian 'flu.

Are you watching enough TV?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 13:16 Thread Starter
International

The regular Flu kills 30,000 a year here in the US i don't see the coverage about the Flu like the bird flu is getting?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 13:49
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
For the record, yes, I was kidding.
Oops! :embarass: Sorry, after the third or fourth glass of Toilet Duck my reading skills deteriorate.
Quote:
Also, for the record, fatality rates are around 50% for avian 'flu.
I'll worry about that if I'm ever passing through Avia.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 17:30
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Crazy bout Parma, Barcelona
Remember what I said during Hurrican Katrina, I told you guys no-one got raped, molested or anything in the super-dome or anywhere. The media hypes up the bullshit because its drama and they play on peoples fears
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 17:48
Premier Player

Teams: PAO, Celtic, Greek NT, Lions, Pistons, Wings
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian batman
The regular Flu kills 30,000 a year here in the US i don't see the coverage about the Flu like the bird flu is getting?
Thats because that flu is the same one that you get annually, its only dangerous to the elderly. This new flu can kill anyone.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 17:51
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00nis
Thats because that flu is the same one that you get annually, its only dangerous to the elderly. This new flu can kill anyone.
And will probably kill between 10 and 100 times as many as the 'regular' flu kills each year.

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Caćni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd über-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 21:50
Lav
Legend

Teams: Hrvatska, A.C. Milan, Dinamo
yeah

im actually not liking this

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man’s soul and faith
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2005, 22:10
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
They say it's going to mutate for sure. It obviously depends how powerful the mutation is.

I heard a prediction of 50,000 deaths in the UK.

England the home of football.
MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
Fish are caught by there mouths, men by there word

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in