Gender and the national anthem - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 01:23 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona, First Vienna FC 1894
Gender and the national anthem

This could be an interesting discussion.

Although the actual occurence happened in Austria, this is more of a general discussion and I feel everyone can comment on the issue...
Here's what happened: The Austrian Health and Women minister (odd combination, I know) wants to change the lyrics of the Austrian anthem to make them less gender-specific (men-dominated).

Those are the lines in question (the words in question are in bold):
Quote:
"Heimat bist du großer Söhne" (Home [you are] of great sons)
is about to get changed to
Quote:
"Heimat, großer Töchter, Söhne" (Home of great daughters, sons)
and
Quote:
"Einig lass in Brüderchören,
Vaterland, dir Treue schwören," (Let's pledge allegiance in brother's choirs, to you, fatherland)
should read
Quote:
"Einig lass in freud'gen chören,
Heimatland, dir Treue schwören" (Let's pledge allegiance in joyful choirs, to you, home country)
according to the minister.

Agree or disagree?

And no, it seems we don't have any other problems.

I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 01:30
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Ridicilious feminism at work. Let's rewrite all anthems of all countries even if they make up a tradition of 100s of years just to make them more pc
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 02:54
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
That's easy for you to say, Andrija, because you are not the one always being left out. Even on legal documents here in the US, in the 21st Century, women are left out. Example: On real estate forms, single women are legally called "spinsters."

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 03:46
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Tricolor Paulista
doent SONS does not fit like a general term, meaning boys and girls like it does in english and portuguese for instance? If it does that just sounds a bit wacky

When I say my sons, it could mean boys and girls
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 03:48
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
Example: On real estate forms, single women are legally called "spinsters."
how cool is that term, I don´t see the reason to complain about it! Sounds so leet
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 13:10
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

In the Dutch constitution the husband of the Queen is referred to as the wife of the King.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 13:23
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

I remember a few years ago there was this group of British women, who objected to the use of 'his' and 'him' in many words. They wanted to change it to 'her'. So we would end up with Hertory instead of History, or Heralaya instead of Himalaya.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck

Last edited by Boyo; September 27th, 2005 at 14:04.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 15:18 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona, First Vienna FC 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo
I remember a few years ago there was this group of British women, who objected to the use of 'his' and 'him' in many words. They wanted to change it to 'her'. So we would end up with Hertory instead of History, or Heralaya instead of Himalaya.
Nah-uh!

My take on the issue: We'd be a lucky country if we wouldn't have bigger (gender-related) problems than this one. Well, we are a lucky country, but not that lucky, there are definitely bigger issues.
I don't care that much about the anthem, as it is piss poor, compared to others - I always envied other countries at Olympics or World Championships for their superior anthems - but that new piece "home to great daughters, sons" is plain ridiculous. How does that sound, only separated by a comma, "daughters, sons". What are daughter-sons supposed to be? She-males or just male grandchildren? A really poor effort, in my opinion.

Lit: "When I say my sons, it could mean boys and girls"
Not sure how you mean it, but Söhne, just like sons refers to male children, noone here says "these are my sons", when one of them is a girl, but rather "these are my kids".
Of course the sons-bit in the anthem is meant in a general way, and is not meant to discriminate (I guess), the lyrics come from a woman, by the way (Paula v. Preradovic).
What is even more ridiculous is the "fatherland"-thing. Are we changing "mother tongue", too?

One interesting thing is that you see women either agreeing or disagreeing with the minister, but I am yet to meet a man (including this thread) who agrees with her point of view. Coincidence?

I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 15:28
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Lazio, Blackburn, Ajax, Italy
Well, I don't see why not for the sons, daughters part if it doesn't disrupt the rhytm of the anthem too much and they remove the bloody comma. Can't they make it "home to great daughters and sons"? Seems a bit redundant but if it will make some women happier - why not? Of course, I would agree that there are probably much more important gender-related problems to be solved first.
The fatherland part is absolutely idiotic, though. Women also have fathers ergo they have fatherland. What's all the fuss about?

“But we're a university! We have to have a library!" said Ridcully. "It adds tone. What sort of people would we be if we didn't go into the library?"

"Students," said Senior Wrangler morosely.”
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 15:36
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Hmm, the Lebanese anthem's lyrics are "guilty of this fallacy" (speaking in the context of the thread topic of course!)

It starts off "Kullouna lil watan..." - Kullouna isn't gender specific in Arabic it basically means "All of us" roughly translated.

Then you have another lyric which goes "...manbiton lil rijaal" which again roughly translated means "where man flourishes/grows/thrives"

I don't think that last line has the intent of insulting, demoting, demeaning woman-kind. I guess if you interpret this linguistic habit historically you will find the word man appearing - as a substitute for humankind. (i.e. inclusive of both genders)

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 16:05
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxPx
Lit: "When I say my sons, it could mean boys and girls"
Not sure how you mean it, but Söhne, just like sons refers to male children, noone here says "these are my sons", when one of them is a girl, but rather "these are my kids".
in portuguese that applies you just say these are my filhos=sons. I thought in english people did the same
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 16:30
On Planet Z
International

Teams: AS Roma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liternit
in portuguese that applies you just say these are my filhos=sons. I thought in english people did the same
It's not done so much anymore...the term "children" is more likely to be used than "sons" to indicate descendants of either gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
By that logic, we should shove dead people back inside their mothers, so they'd be ending their lives exactly where they started. But of course, we would need to get a doctor to slap the corpse on the butt before putting it back inside the mother's womb.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 17:18
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
The United Kingdom must have the least sexist 'national' anthem in the world. It changes seemlessly between God Save the Queen and God Save the King, doesn't refer to men or women, and doesn't refer to the country at all (being the Royal Anthem, not a national one). That must reflect well on the UK and New Zealand.

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Cacìni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd über-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 19:59
International

Its ridiculous. Rendering history (hertory??) false by rewriting it because you arent mentioned by word (even though you arent excluded or deprived of anything concrete) is typical of the feminist agenda. It serves no practical purpose, only emotional gratification.

I'd be interested in hearing a woman defend this.

edit: I'd be interested in hearing a women defend ther.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 20:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
I propose that the French remove any gender from their national anthem. That involves le, la, il, elle, lui and any feminine or masculine nouns.

In Germany they can only use neuter nouns.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 20:06
International

You've turned me into a bean, arent you satisfied?

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 20:34
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Change your name to Bean. No Mr or Mrs.

No Siree....er...
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 20:50
International

New York salute to you!

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 20:55
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
That's easy for you to say, Andrija, because you are not the one always being left out. Even on legal documents here in the US, in the 21st Century, women are left out. Example: On real estate forms, single women are legally called "spinsters."
Hummy, you need to move to the UK. They are scrapping the terms "spinster" and "bachelor" in favour of "single". So no longer will I be the Spinister of the Parish

Bean, while I personally am not too fussed either way about whether a National Anthem is couched in terms of "he" or "she" (probably because the UK has the most boring, dirgiest, albeit gender fair, national anthem ever and has turned me off them), I do understand why those females who feel represented by a national anthem want female representation in it. Men are not left out of any official terminology, so fail to understand that for some people the constant non-referral of women in official nation speak can get annoying. But then as a history graduate, I know that the era when these anthems were penned, women didn't get the vote so weren't considered in the representation of the nation state.

Out beyond ideas
of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

All I possess in the presence of death
is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 21:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Heh imagine land of hope and glory?

Land of hope and glory,
Both parents of the free...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in