Rehnquist Dies - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 15:12 Thread Starter
World Class Player
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal, Watford, UK NTs, and dozens more.
Rehnquist Dies

Last night, Chief Justice William Rehnquist died of complications of his well-documented fight against thyroid cancer. Rehnquist was one of the most experienced jurists in the history of the Supreme Court, having been an Associate Justice for 14 years and Chief Justice for 19 years. He was 80 years old, and survived by his three children.

For most of his time on the Supreme Court, Rehnquist remained its staunchest conservative. He voted with the minority in Roe v Wade, supported states' rights, school prayer, capital punishment, and the defence of intellectual property, whilst opposing affirmative action and swift desegregation.

Rehnquist's death leaves President Bush with yet another big gap to fill in the highest court. Whereas the resignation of Sandra Day O'Connor was unexpected, Rehnquist's health problems had been known since his cancer was revealed in October 2004. Who will fill this second place in the Court? If Scalia is nominated as Rehnquist's replacement, will he get past the Senate?

Glen: "That last post of Bastin's is just too authoritative to argue against."

gOD: "It scares the f*ck out of me but I'm with Bastin here."

Cacìni: "Ah, there you go using that absurd über-memory of your's...not fair."

Boyo: "Even when it comes to rap, Bastin is an authority."

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

Humbird: "Bastin is very attractive when talking nautical! "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 17:53
Lav
Legend

Teams: Hrvatska, A.C. Milan, Dinamo
scalia wont be nominated

bush's goal is to institute the longest possible hold on the supreme court...thomas will get the nod, and his will be another fun thing to watch.

the intresting thing is who will he go for to replace rehnquist, will it be a thomas type, or a robertson type....or will he toss in a moderate independent (I WISH)

should be a fun few months with the court taking centre stage

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man’s soul and faith
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 20:41 Thread Starter
World Class Player
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav
scalia wont be nominated

bush's goal is to institute the longest possible hold on the supreme court...thomas will get the nod, and his will be another fun thing to watch.
That makes it even less questionable. Even if the numbers game works in his favour, Thomas will be filibustered all the way home. Thomas is comfortably the youngest of the Justices, but he's also comfortably the least experienced. When he was originally appointed in the first place, he was almost beaten by sexual harassment accusations. Moreover, he failed to get a 'Well Qualified' rating from the ABA (usually a given), he wasn't recommended by the Senate Judiciary Committee (7-7), and he was passed by the narrowest margin seen in the 20th Century: 52-48. Thomas is probably the least qualified person to sit on the Supreme Court in the past hundred years, so there can surely be little chance of him becoming Chief Justice.

At least Scalia, whilst being conservative, is experienced enough, is respected by his fellow Associate Justices (even the loose constructionists), and faced few problems being confirmed. As far as I'm concerned, it's going to be another internal appointment (which, if correct, would probably become a convention); any conservative from outside the Court would have all the baggage that comes with being right-wing, and yet not have the advantages that Scalia can boast.

Attila_the_Nun: "A most respected scion of Misty Albion, the illustious Bastin - the redoubtable defender of all our noble traditions."

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 22:01
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastin
...Thomas is probably the least qualified person to sit on the Supreme Court in the past hundred years...
Bwah! Cursory knowledge is a dangerous thing...give it up
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 22:04 Thread Starter
World Class Player
World Class Player

Why don't you go the whole hog, get it over with, and write about your f***ing biscione?

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 22:07
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Chief Justice isn't as important as it sounds. Basically, the advantage is that the CJ gets to sit in the middle in the official photograph.

Scalia really wants it though, and he is a friend of the President.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 22:18
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
My vote goes to Scalia.

"I think my greatest ambition in life is to pass on to others what I know"

"May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine"

"The best revenge is massive success"

Frank Sinatra

"There are as many opinions as there are experts"

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 22:48
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
I like him, obviously of Swedish heritage with that name.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 22:55
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
His family came from Värmland

"I think my greatest ambition in life is to pass on to others what I know"

"May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine"

"The best revenge is massive success"

Frank Sinatra

"There are as many opinions as there are experts"

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 11:40
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester United
This is a disgrace!!!!

Bush pays tribute to Rehnquist

William Rehnquist was known for his conservative views
US President George W Bush has paid tribute to William Rehnquist, the US Chief Justice who died on Saturday.

Mr Bush described Mr Rehnquist as a man of "character and dedication" whose "departure represents a great loss for our court and for our country".

Mr Rehnquist's death - months after another top judge announced her retirement - leaves Mr Bush with two vacancies to fill at the Supreme Court.

Correspondents say he faces a political battle over his choice of replacements.

Mr Bush said on Sunday that he planned to move fast to find new judges for the court. "There are now two vacancies on the Supreme Court and it will serve the best interest of the nation to fill those vacancies promptly," he said.

The job enables you to participate in some way... in the way the country is governed but you're able to maintain a private life as well
William Rehnquist

Mr Rehnquist was a powerful conservative voice in the most powerful court in the US, says the BBC's Jonathan Beale, and Mr Bush will want to replace him with someone like-minded.

He has already nominated a moderate conservative, John Roberts, to replace Sandra Day O'Connor, the Supreme Court judge who announced her retirement earlier this year.

Senators are expected to scrutinise Mr Roberts' credentials later this week as they decide whether to approve of his nomination.

The Democrats might put up a tough fight if Mr Bush were to pick another conservative for the court, our correspondent says.

Remarkable career

Mr Rehnquist died at his Virginia home aged 80, a year after he began treatment for thyroid cancer.

A Supreme Court spokeswoman said there had been a "precipitous decline" in his health over the past few days.

Although he appeared increasingly weak, and had to breathe with the help of a tube at President Bush's inauguration in January, he continued to work.

William Rehnquist administers the presidential oath to George W Bush
A frail Rehnquist presided over Bush's January 2005 inauguration

Our correspondent says Mr Rehnquist was politically attuned to Republican politics.

He championed states' rights, supported the death penalty and opposed abortion.

He was nominated to the Supreme Court in 1972, and appointed the nation's 16th chief justice by Ronald Reagan in 1986.

During a remarkable career, he oversaw the court's conservative shift, presided over President Bill Clinton's impeachment hearing in 1999 and helped decide the controversial election of George W Bush as president in 2000.

He was regarded as an efficient administrator, able to work with those who did not share his views.

The nine-seat Supreme Court is one of America's most important institutions and judges are named for life.

Its key responsibilities are to examine laws and government actions to ensure they do not violate the principles laid down in the Constitution.

Its future direction is likely to be the subject of an intense battle in coming months as Democrats fight to stop President Bush giving the two seats to conservatives.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a "tribute"?

Rehnquist was legendary, if this is all Bush offer he might aswell keep his big filthy mouth shut.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 12:25
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Crazy bout Parma, Barcelona
Yolk how is he a legend?

He only did a job like everyone else
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 14:25
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolk
Bush pays tribute to Rehnquist

William Rehnquist was known for his conservative views
US President George W Bush has paid tribute to William Rehnquist, the US Chief Justice who died on Saturday.

Mr Bush described Mr Rehnquist as a man of "character and dedication" whose "departure represents a great loss for our court and for our country".

Mr Rehnquist's death - months after another top judge announced her retirement - leaves Mr Bush with two vacancies to fill at the Supreme Court.

Correspondents say he faces a political battle over his choice of replacements.

Mr Bush said on Sunday that he planned to move fast to find new judges for the court. "There are now two vacancies on the Supreme Court and it will serve the best interest of the nation to fill those vacancies promptly," he said.

The job enables you to participate in some way... in the way the country is governed but you're able to maintain a private life as well
William Rehnquist

Mr Rehnquist was a powerful conservative voice in the most powerful court in the US, says the BBC's Jonathan Beale, and Mr Bush will want to replace him with someone like-minded.

He has already nominated a moderate conservative, John Roberts, to replace Sandra Day O'Connor, the Supreme Court judge who announced her retirement earlier this year.

Senators are expected to scrutinise Mr Roberts' credentials later this week as they decide whether to approve of his nomination.

The Democrats might put up a tough fight if Mr Bush were to pick another conservative for the court, our correspondent says.

Remarkable career

Mr Rehnquist died at his Virginia home aged 80, a year after he began treatment for thyroid cancer.

A Supreme Court spokeswoman said there had been a "precipitous decline" in his health over the past few days.

Although he appeared increasingly weak, and had to breathe with the help of a tube at President Bush's inauguration in January, he continued to work.

William Rehnquist administers the presidential oath to George W Bush
A frail Rehnquist presided over Bush's January 2005 inauguration

Our correspondent says Mr Rehnquist was politically attuned to Republican politics.

He championed states' rights, supported the death penalty and opposed abortion.

He was nominated to the Supreme Court in 1972, and appointed the nation's 16th chief justice by Ronald Reagan in 1986.

During a remarkable career, he oversaw the court's conservative shift, presided over President Bill Clinton's impeachment hearing in 1999 and helped decide the controversial election of George W Bush as president in 2000.

He was regarded as an efficient administrator, able to work with those who did not share his views.

The nine-seat Supreme Court is one of America's most important institutions and judges are named for life.

Its key responsibilities are to examine laws and government actions to ensure they do not violate the principles laid down in the Constitution.

Its future direction is likely to be the subject of an intense battle in coming months as Democrats fight to stop President Bush giving the two seats to conservatives.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a "tribute"?

Rehnquist was legendary, if this is all Bush offer he might aswell keep his big filthy mouth shut.
I've seen it all now. The President should "keep his big filthy mouth shut" because a cut and paste article wasn't tribute enough?

You people are incredible.

Yolk, turn off your computer, go outside, talk to your neighbors, get a beer...or two. You'll feel better soon.

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 14:33
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
He may be too young to drink...

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 14:45
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
A couple of Mars chocolates will do the trick then.

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 14:48
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.

Last edited by numerodix; September 5th, 2005 at 14:55.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 19:25
Lav
Legend

yeah i agree bastin, thomas is a twit, but i think the goal is long term hold on the court, jsut as the dems would try...

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 19:39
Lav
Legend

Bush did it

he nominated roberts as chief justice.....

i told you he would go for young guy, suprised it wasnt thomas, perhaps he wanted to avoid a nasty fight in the senate

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 21:26
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Lav it doesn't make any difference. The Chief Justice has no more power than any other justice. I'm not even sure why they have one, except it was originally an all-male organization, and as we all know, there always has to be an Alpha-Male.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2005, 05:12
International

Teams: Cro NT, NY Islanders, USA NT, Notre Dame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
Chief Justice isn't as important as it sounds. Basically, the advantage is that the CJ gets to sit in the middle in the official photograph.

Scalia really wants it though, and he is a friend of the President.
I think you forgot they get an extra stripe their sleeve!

RIP Renquist
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2005, 10:09
World Class Player

Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
Rip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in