Chavez wants to help poor people...in the U.S! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 20:20 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Chavez wants to help poor people...in the U.S!

Venezuela to sell cut-price heating oil to U.S. poor

CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) - Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez said on Monday his government plans to sell as much as 66,000 barrels per day of heating fuel from its U.S. Citgo refinery to poor communities in the United States.

The offer, made after populist Chavez held talks with U.S. civil rights activist Rev. Jesse Jackson, would represent 10 percent of the 660,000 bpd of refined products processed by Citgo. The deals would cut consumer costs by direct sales.

Venezuela's Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez said officials were still working on the details on how the oil would be sold from Citgo, a unit of the state oil firm PDVSA.

"We are going to direct as much as 10 percent of the production, that means 66,000 barrels, without intermediaries, to poor communities, hospitals, religious communities, schools," Chavez told reporters at a press conference.

The world's No. 5 oil exporter, oil cartel OPEC member Venezuela is a key supplier to the United States, providing about 15 percent of all U.S. energy imports.

But relations between Caracas and Washington have become strained since left-winger Chavez was elected in 1998 promising social reforms.

Chavez, a former army officer who survived a coup in 2002, frequently accuses the U.S. of backing efforts to kill him or topple his government. U.S. officials dismiss those charges but say Chavez has become a threat to regional stability.

----------------------------------------------

How embaressing, I wonder how Bush and co will respond

Imagine how hard it will be justifying invading a country helping your poor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 20:48
International

Teams: BESIKTAS
wow he's outmeneuvred Bush and Co...
Quite an impressive strategy, hats off to Chavez!

'The Besiktas jersey gives me incredible strength, peace, and trust.'
Gökhan Güleç
post #3 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 20:55
IVO
International
World Class Player

Bush will call him an evil man and enough people in America will believe him or be branded traitors. That's all the justification he'll need.

post #4 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 20:59
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
What about "The people he helped are all criminals and illegal immigrants"?
post #5 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 20:59
rae
Rising Star

Chavez is an idiot. This is only one proof of his insanity. He should be resigned or overset ASAP cuz of his policy Venezuela can not improve, even they have so much oil.
post #6 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:06
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
You would think that Chavez would worry about the mess that Venezuela is in rather than play stupid political games with Bush. A contracting economy, an ever increasing crime rate, the extincion of the small and medium business sector, a corruption rate similar to the goverments that he once tried to topple in his coup attempt, a goverment fixed exchange rate due to fear of fleeing capital, etc.......but I guess he thinks it is more important to give oil to the poor poeple of the USA:rollani:

Gràcies Pare, descansi en pau.
post #7 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:08
rae
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by barça
but I guess he thinks it is more important to give oil to the poor poeple of the USA:rollani:
Yeah, and to provide oil and money to Cuba with Castro too... :thmbdown:
post #8 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:19
IVO
International
World Class Player

Likewise, the American government could be spending money on health care, education, fighting crime, helping senior citizens, reducing pollution but instead they'd rather spend the money on going to war in iraq so that they could give oil money to their already rich corporations.

Yeah, and to provide some of that money to dicatorial regimes around the world...
post #9 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:24
rae
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO
Likewise, the American government could be spending money on health care, education, fighting crime, helping senior citizens, reducing pollution but instead they'd rather spend the money on going to war in iraq so that they could give oil money to their already rich corporations.
these corporations create job vacancies hence all these things you mentioned improves
post #10 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:24
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
this is a publicity stunt. Someone explain the logistics of how he's going to sell only to poor communities?

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #11 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:27
International

Teams: BESIKTAS
Of course its a publicity stunt, but much better than the 'weapons of mass destrution' stunt we witnessed at the UN before ther invasion of Iraq

'The Besiktas jersey gives me incredible strength, peace, and trust.'
Gökhan Güleç
post #12 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:31 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Haha guys, this guy is a president, ofcourse he has some dodgy dots in his past but hey atleast he isn't bombing them!

Killing them with kindness p
post #13 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO
And how is that related to Chavez? Or is this your way to critize the USA at any turn?

post #14 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:37
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVO

O.K., we won't donate food, money, clothes, goods, and other items that we usually do to the rest of the world. Is that better?
post #15 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Neville
Haha guys, this guy is a president, ofcourse he has some dodgy dots in his past but hey atleast he isn't bombing them!

Killing them with kindness p
He killed plenty of people during his coup attempt and trying to put down peaceful protests of his presidency.

post #16 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:38
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo

O.K., we won't donate food, money, clothes, goods, and other items that we usually do to the rest of the world. Is that better?
I'm still awaiting the outpouring of foreign support for the US hurricane victims. Not a peep so far.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #17 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:42
Flo
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
I'm still awaiting the outpouring of foreign support for the US hurricane victims. Not a peep so far.
It won't happen so don't hold your breath.

Meanwhile, my friend is trying to get in touch with his brother who lives in New Orleans. Lines are cut and everything is under water....
post #18 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:42 Thread Starter
World Class Player

OMG, don't tell me we are comparing the U.S goverment's faults to Chavez?!!

Since when was there a perfect president? I don't trust any of these bastards but if I had to make a list, Chavez would be ahead of Bush, no contest, their track records don't even compare.
post #19 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:47
rae
Rising Star

Quote:

Since when was there a perfect president? I don't trust any of these bastards but if I had to make a list, Chavez would be ahead of Bush, no contest, their records don't even compare.
at last I hear what I suppose to hear - the truth

Chavez is an idiot and a famous criminal who is a president of one country. Which is one of the most beautiful in the South America. And that beast keeps on making damage to it. I cant stand and look what's happening. He has to be overset immediately.

Last edited by rae; August 30th, 2005 at 21:56.
post #20 of 140 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:51
Flo
Legend

Quote:

Since when was there a perfect president? I don't trust any of these bastards but if I had to make a list, Chavez would be ahead of Bush, no contest, their track records don't even compare.
Really now? Why don't you ask our Venezuelan friends or South American friends like Rae how they feel about it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in