419 State of mind - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2005, 10:01 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Juventus, Nigerian National team
419 State of mind

The title of this post will ring a bell to some people and to some others it might not. Well I suggest you first checkout Wikipedia for a low down on what 419 is. 419 has grown to become one of the worst internet hoaxes such that there are now sites dedicated to fighting its spread. An example is 419 eater. A recent article on the trend was posted on CNNís website. With this much online interest on Nigeria in connection with 419, Modenine recorded a song on the phenomenon last year titled ď419 state of mind part 2Ē. Itís a great song; you should check it out. Itís from this same term that the London based Nigerian hip hop group ď419 SquadĒ got its name from.

Like most people out there Iím anti-419Öand thatís where it stops. Iíve never really bothered myself about the phenomenon. But a recent experience hanging out with a dude whoís into 419 made me learn a lot more about the industry and finally understand or grasp the idea behind some of the moves peeps around me have been pulling. Let me let you guys in on what Iíve learnt.

Before I start let me first make this statement. Iíve since known what 419 is and the measures one can take to prevent oneself from falling victim to the scheme. This Iím sure is also known by every internet freak. So it makes me really sick when Iím searching for stuff on Nigerian on Google and a lot of the results are from people running their mouth and hating on Nigeria because of 419 scam/spam. Fvck yíall! You know the safety measures, so implement them and shut up.

Most a times the fear of a bleak future, the need to fulfill financial responsibilities and sheer hardship push people into getting involved in the scam. Other times share curiosity; negative peer influence and greediness are the motives for involvement. And believe you me thereíve been many petty and big time successful 419ers.

In relation to online harvesting which people do through scam letters, there are two other common online scams. And these are perpetuated through chatting and through phising.

1) Via chatting, guys pose as ladies and try to sweet talk other guys into falling in love with them and ultimately to send them money. They use pictures of beautiful women sourced online in their chatting profiles and send it to their dumb victims via email. Also they often enlist the help of their female friends to answer calls from their dumb victims and keep up the guise. Their victims are often old white financially comfortably guys who are losers in the game of love. How else can one explain a guy swallowing all the bull rubbish that a girl from across the globe loves you, and then end up sending her money. Someone youíve never seen before. Ainít there girls in your city to checkout? Damn, the older the dumber.

2) Phising is not too common in Nigeria. And thatís because it requires brains and many of the 419 peeps ainít brainy enough (or are limited by resources and time) to sit down and learn. In Nigeria itís often perpetuated on a small scale and involves stealing peopleís password and holding it ransom in exchange for money. Victims of phising are often careless people and internet novices.

3) On-line harvesting is the big one, the center point of internet fraud in Nigeria. Greed is often what draws the perpetuators, what draws the victims and what in some cases eventually brings about the downfall of the perpetuators. And thatís because some people who hit it big still go on with the fraud instead of going legit until theyíre finally caught. The format for the trick is often via email; telling the unsuspecting recipient that thereís a large amount of money stashed somewhere not known by the necessary authorities. But if he/she can provide some money itíll be secretly secured and the loot shared 50-50. An advanced fee/money is always sought, thus the term ďadvanced fee fraudĒ (419 after section 419 of the Nigerian criminal code). The scammers make generous use of fax machines, email extractors, telephones and money transfer systems like Western Union to carry out their nefarious activities.

All this requires a lot of patience and investment in time and resources by the scammers. And Internet cafes often turn to the scammersí second home. To counter the menace the EFCC (Economic and Financial Crimes Commission) over here has been on its toes.

Methinks 419 runs (schemes) is boring and a waste of time. Itís better to engage in discovering the beauty of the internet through the millions of wonderful sites out there. 419 has never been my thing and Iím glad I channeled my internet freakism to other positive angles.

Some people think life is black
Other's think life is white
We all know it's black and white
FORZA JUVE

Check out my blog
Then read this.
THANK YOU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2005, 10:15
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Some 419 scams are very clever and obviously a lot of thought and effort went into making them. But when you know what to look for, they're quite easy to spot. The common theme is that they all promise you great riches, and that you have to provide them with your information.

There are people who have made a sport of exposing the scammers and post their tales on websites dedicated to 'scam baiting', complete with pictures of the scammers . Check it out: http://www.419eater.com/

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2005, 17:26
World Class Player

Ah so thats what they call them...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2005, 05:23
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
It's the old 'wallet drop' con, updated for the Internet era, and just like the old days it only works if the mark is greedy and/or stupid. There will never ever be a shortage of conmen because there will never ever be a shortage of greedy idiots to fleece. One would think people wouldn't be stupid enough to fall for them, but people have been thinking that since Cain first fleeced Abel...
I personally enjoy the emails I've gotten from Mrs. Sani Abacha and from Mrs. Charles Taylor, and I sure hope they find someone to get that $500,000 dollars out of escrow for them soon as they seem like nice old ladies.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2005, 07:40
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
I got a 419 phone call from Nigeria a couple months back at my direct office line. THankfully I dropped the contact. The pidgin English was funny. "How yu dey jo? Ah beg, yu sabi oyinbo?"

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2005, 08:53
Xtratime Legend

Here's a scambait our very own Andy Christ did a while ago:

http://www.xtratime.com/forum/showth...0&page=1&pp=15

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2005, 01:32
Star Player

Teams: Colo Colo, Lazio, Chelsea, Besiktas
Ive been reading and is very intersting ... i use to get eamils asking me for help form Nigeria, Sierra Leona and other countries.
The first time i was si surprised and asked some friends abt it, coz it was a terrible case ... very sad ... my friends told me ... forget it, dont be sensitive, those are bullshit ... but i started to receive almost daily from many many poor widows, orphans etc...
The last one my husband got is a attorney that was looking for te ppel with his last name, coz some rich english man died and had not heirs
But i really got bored to that ... the colapsed my email :rollani:

Colo Colo es lo mŠs grande!!!

Alija, you will be for ever in our heart

http://laziofever.bigforumpro.com/index.htm
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2005, 00:06
International

I found the EFCC website quite inspiring.

especially this article: http://www.efccnigeria.org/index.php...d=518&Itemid=2

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2005, 12:04
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
Thanks for bringing that thread up again Boyo it's quite halarious. I've gotten quite a few of them, the sad thing is some people are gullable to believe them.

England the home of football.
MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
Fish are caught by there mouths, men by there word
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2005, 12:15
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
Oh my... read this please. I can't stop laughing.

http://www.419fun.com/phillipepage1.htm

England the home of football.
MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
Fish are caught by there mouths, men by there word
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2005, 12:48
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Just a question, how do we seek these 419ers? Or do they seek their "victims"?

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2005, 12:59
Xtratime Legend

You can find some tips here: http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in