France briefed Iraq on war - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 19:13 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Liverpool
France briefed Iraq on war

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...5E1702,00.html

Quote:
FRANCE gave Saddam Hussein's regime regular reports on its dealings with US officials, The Sunday Times reported, quoting files it had found in the wreckage of the Iraqi foreign ministry.

The conservative British weekly said the information kept Saddam abreast of every development in US planning and may have helped him to prepare for war.

One report warned of a US "attempt to involve Iraq with terrorism" as "cover for an attack on Iraq", according to The Sunday Times.

Another, dated September 25, 2001, from Naji Sabri, the Iraqi foreign minister, to Saddam's palace, was based on a briefing from the French ambassador in Baghdad and covered talks between presidents Jacques Chirac and US President George W Bush.
Discuss.

"In six months, the Benitez era will seem like a golden age" - Dion Fanning, 9th May 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 19:18
Star Player

they should give more information. the one about linking iraq with terrorism was common knowledge and not something hussein was unaware of. itd be interesting to see exactly what they told him and whether or not the french will deny this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 19:19
Lav
Legend

conservative weekly...trying to widen gap perhaps....?

so what im getting is that the US told France every step of its war and then france relayed this to iraq.

dont be ridiculus bush scans all communication to and from iraq im sure he would of picked this up and it would of been headline news all over world if it indeed was true.

These allegations are very serious and i hope that the magazine knows what its doing cause to me there are too many holes in this theory for it to work out.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 19:22
Lav
Legend

also

as luigi said, saadam could get more info from time or jsut watching tv as he can see where the US is.

lisening to rummy and co would give u more info then anyhting else bout war plans
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 19:42 Thread Starter
International

I'm sure Saddam is just sat at home, having a beer and a cigar tuned in all relaxed to CNN or the BBC.

"In six months, the Benitez era will seem like a golden age" - Dion Fanning, 9th May 2010
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 19:50
Lav
Legend

best way to get news...

though id turn on FOX and lisen to Rivera

in effect the western media really talks to much. and the live broadcasts of troops moving is crazy.

i mean its like the hostage situation that they did with cameras and they wondered why it was botched...the guys were watching tv and knew were they were coming from.

the fact is CNN and other networks need to put ratings second. to have so much knowledge of war plans is ridiculus. does the public really need to know that there are 500 men 20 miles from baghdad and that they will attack when the supplies arrive from the east road.

i mean :wtf: if i was Franks i would of made no cameras on anywehre withing 10 miles of my men and id be damn sure to know that those oppurtunistic pigs dont get to know where im goin and how im going.
thats just palin stupid letting live coverage of fighting...i mean its WAR not a video fame....though here is was like a reality show with dead people...no wonder it got great ratings.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 19:59
On Planet Z
International

Teams: AS Roma
Quote:
Originally posted by Lav
best way to get news...

though id turn on FOX and lisen to Rivera
Precisely!
I reckon Geraldo will be getting the Award for Biggest Journalistic Blunder sometime soon--good LORD, Wartime Journalism 101 says "Do not give away your army's position!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
By that logic, we should shove dead people back inside their mothers, so they'd be ending their lives exactly where they started. But of course, we would need to get a doctor to slap the corpse on the butt before putting it back inside the mother's womb.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 20:15
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
Re: France briefed Iraq on war

Quote:
Originally posted by RazorUK
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...5E1702,00.html

Discuss.
More right-wing scare mongering against the French perhaps?

Because we all know that the English & American media have got some incredibly ridiculous anti-France stance. Calling them cowards for having the guts to stand up for what they believe in, I'll never understand. If that's a coward, then we need more cowardly nations willing to stand up the US's imperealistic march.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009 View Post
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2003, 20:19
Lav
Legend

Re: Re: France briefed Iraq on war

Quote:
Originally posted by cam
Calling them cowards for having the guts to stand up for what they believe in, I'll never understand. If that's a coward, then we need more cowardly nations willing to stand up the US's imperealistic march.
i know they are wimps for standing up agaisnt the imperial overlord and telling him to sit his ass down and chill.

the irony is surely not lsot on even u andrew.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2003, 02:55
Legend
Legend

Teams: Magico Milan/Les Bleus
Funny how you don't mention how America has been financing and arming Irak in the 80's during the Iran-Irak war. Funny how America in fact has been financing and putting into place most of the world's dictators. Funny that you only emphasize on minor points while the real issues are smartly silenced as to make sure the people never get a word of that. Funny how the medias can manipulate opinions and eventually the way people think, believe and what they know.

Now, here's a question to ponder on: do you believe there is a selective coverage by the media or in other words, do you think the media uses censure to inform their already docile readers?

Discuss.

Cheers.

"En su vida, un hombre puede cambiar de mujer, sus opiniones politicas o su religion pero no su equipo de futbol." Eduardo Galeano, Uruguayen poet.

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

Comprate chi volete, ma il nostro spirito non l'avrete mai!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2003, 03:35 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by San_Siro_1
do you believe there is a selective coverage by the media or in other words, do you think the media uses censure to inform their already docile readers?
I believe that if you want answers to what is going on in the world, you can find it online on the internet.
True, you will never get the whole truth from one source, but if you are open minded enough to go and read varying news sources from varying nations across the world, you'll at least be able to take what is on offer to you from all sides, and form your own opinion based upon the slanted information that each countries media offers to it's people.

So to answer your question, yes I am sure that there is a selective coverage by the media, but, and this is a very important but, it isn't just the UK and American media that has it's selective coverage of events.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2003, 04:06
International
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United and England

Quote:
Originally posted by cam

Because we all know that the English & American media have got some incredibly ridiculous anti-France stance. Calling them cowards for having the guts to stand up for what they believe in, I'll never understand. If that's a coward, then we need more cowardly nations willing to stand up the US's imperealistic march.
France owe their political and cultural existance to England and America. However, since the end of the Second World war, they have done their best to isolate England in Europe, marginalising them or excluding them from the Union as just one example. I don't think that you're average joe on the street in England or America hates his counterpart in Paris etc...but certainly, there is good cause for criticism of French policie and stance. When it suits them, France is capable of brutality on the world arena. Lets not forget Algeria or Vietnam. We need to have more than one perspective here.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2003, 08:39
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by cam

Do you honestly think Jaques Iraq has ideals? That thief and liar? Maybe some leftwing politicians stand up for their ideals, the bigger part of the french government is simply going after personal and national gain.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2003, 12:20
bob
International

i totally agree about Chiraq. theres nothing great about the guy. he is just doing what serves his best interest. in the end it didn't pay of anyway.. can you ebelieve he is actually nominated for the nobel peace prize !!!!?

unbelievable.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2003, 13:27
Ane
Rising Star & XCC Winner 2002
Rising Star

Teams: Lazio, OB
Re: Re: Re: France briefed Iraq on war

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Elliot
However, since the end of the Second World war, they have done their best to isolate England in Europe, marginalising them or excluding them from the Union as just one example
That is only a very small part of the truth. Yes France worked against UK getting into the Union but since they got in it has been the UK who has kept a distance - not been shut out.

It isn't a smart move to proclaim that you don't want to pay a single penny for the membership if you want to be regarded a key member of the Union.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2003, 14:07
On Planet Z
International

Teams: AS Roma
Re: Re: Re: France briefed Iraq on war

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Elliot
France owe their political and cultural existance to England and America.
America owes its existence as a non-Commonwealth nation to France, yet it's strange how often we forget that when we dismiss the French as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys". Sacre-bleu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
By that logic, we should shove dead people back inside their mothers, so they'd be ending their lives exactly where they started. But of course, we would need to get a doctor to slap the corpse on the butt before putting it back inside the mother's womb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in