Wireless Internet Connection - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2009, 11:00
Magyar Angol

Wireless Internet Connection

Recently bought my wife a little net-book thingy so she can use around the house etc.

Problem is the connection in some rooms downstairs are very low and then result in dropping the connection completely.

Clearly my plans of winning browny points have backfired with frustration from her not being able to "surf" as it were downstairs or out in the conservatory.

My question is does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to improve - boost the signal downstairs?

I had heard of something that plugs into wall sockets and have also been suggested I get a better router upstairs? We need to maintain a "wireless" environment

Does anyone one have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2009, 11:21
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
I think there's also an option of getting a second router that would basically extend the wireless range of your network.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2009, 11:31
A10
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Never in B
Range booosters?

or

Mutiple Access Points?
http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/lin...&thread.id=781

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2009, 12:00
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Is there any chance you could place the wireless router downstairs rather than upstairs? You'll find the signal travels better upwards than it does downwards.

Other than that, give us the model of the router and we can look at a few things. Some routers are capable of what numerodix posted above, others not.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2009, 12:15
♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣
Star Player

Teams: ♣♠♣ SRBIJA ♣♠♣
I had the same problem until a year ago, The internet connection would drop for a few seconds and then come back on, extremely annoying when you're chatting or watching a video.

I solved this problem by getting a stronger router, I also changed telecom company, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

"I took shrooms at a naked beach. Fat people looked like they were made out of melting wax. I thought the homos had lasers for eyes and when they checked me out I'd feel burning on my skin. That's a day I'll never forget, for sure."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2009, 13:03
Magyar Angol

Thanks for the feedback so far folks!

In short and in answer to a few questions. I kinda want to boost the signal for sure.
I can't fix the Router downstairs no. My house is on 3 floors, router sits in the middle.

The router itself was supplied by my ISP and I have had no issues with it or them to be honest. I get a constant 6MB speed.

ZyXEL P-660HW

Router Features
- 4 x Ethernet 10/100 Mbps port
- DHCP automatically manages IP addresses
- NAT allows all PCs to share one IP address
- 802.11g compliant (up to 5x speed of 802.11b)
- Range up to 50m indoors and 250m outdoors (in ideal conditions) (so they say)

P.S. I'm really not that techy btw but just want a reasonably simple solution so the wife can be happy = I am happy - peaceful life
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2009, 16:00
Star Player

Teams: Gills, ┌jpest, Celtic, Hungary, Inter, Barca, Hampton
The other thing I tried was the angle of the router/aerial, turned it 45 degrees and it worked much better when connecting downstairs. If it has to be on your middle floor have you tried turning it a bit?

Also, I assume the netbook works OK upstairs?

HAJR LILK

╔S

MAGYAROK!

http://twitter.com/lilakgillsbhoy

NB1 and various other football pix at:

http://tinyurl.com/UGfoci

Hungary, Art, Bikes, Travel, Speedway, Hoki and more at:

http://tiny.cc/UGphotography
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2009, 11:29
Magyar Angol

Yes, somebody else suggested I try moving the aerial around. Sounds very 20th century IMO like those old TV's where you used to have to move the aerial around to get the best signal and then had to stay there holding it a la Mr Bean style lol.

However, I will give it a try

Yes, perfect reception both on the same middle level and upstairs. Just below and to the right so I'll try to angle it in that position. Kinda makes you think whether below left will then be affected? lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 14:18
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
Anyone else get headaches from wireless routers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in