Obama picks Magyar to be his bean counter - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 15:05 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: US, Revolution, Ferencvaros, Man Utd, Hungary
Obama picks Magyar to be his bean counter

He was born here, but he comes from Magyar parents like me.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...m2OowD94LK7QO2

Sounds like a smart guy.

The last Magyar in the Executive office was none other than Ari Fleisher. Bush's Press Secretary from his first term. He was the voice of the Ministry of Truth.

"Why move around the world, if Eden was so near" - Neil Peart - Territories

Business Blogging Social Media Management Search Engine Optimization
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 18:24
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
No bolatix thx.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 22:54 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
No bolatix thx.
Politics aside. He comes from an interesting family. His Father is a Professor at Yale University.

"Orszag specializes in fluid dynamics, especially turbulence, computational physics and mathematics, electronic chip manufacturing, computer storage system design, and other topics involving scientific computing."

Like I said, politics aside, interesting Magyar family. I guess the Mother is equally impressive too.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2008, 00:48
Star Player

Teams: VfB, Magyar U21
There was also Lantos Tamas the Democrat US Senator

Though he never worked directly for any administration.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2008, 02:00
AKA Galloping Shakespeare
Premier Player

Teams: Ferencvaros & Honved, Hungary varsity
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyarStuttgart View Post
There was also Lantos Tamas the Democrat US Senator

Though he never worked directly for any administration.
That's true the honorable Ari Fleisher, President G.W. Bush's first press secratary was American with a Hungarian background. The honorable George Pataki was the governor of the great state of New York, and the honorable Tom Lantos both were Hungarian-American.

The honorable Peter Orszag comes from Hungarian-American parents tapped as Director of Office of Management and Budget, he's a senior fellow at the Brookings Institute and head of its Hamilton Project, which studies ways to achieve growth and economic security. He graduated summa cum laude from Princeton University (my step-dad's alma mater) and the London School of Economics and served in the White House during the Clinton administration.

One thing about Princeton, Oh man ... nothing but good feelings towards Princeton football baby!! My step-dad went to both Princeton and Swarthmore and graduated with a post-doctorate degree in social anthropology. When I was younger we always followed Princeton Tiger and Cleveland Browns football. I and my dad remember talking about an incrediblely strong and powerful full-back coming out of Princeton named Keith Elias in the late 80s early 90s who could really impact the NFL.

This white fellow plowed lanes through good collegiate Ivy League and division-2 lines and tore through secondary level linebackers for years and was a consesus All-American highly drafted by the N.Y. Giants. Keith Elias was the white Jim Brown of the Ivy League and Div-IAA, this full-back was dadgummit elusive and strong at point with a ballast and balance only a few could possess. He started as the NY Giants ace first-string ace running-back for a while.

Keith Elias of Princeton:

Elias was one of the few and especially scarce Ivy leaguers stars to end up starting for a NFL team; at the same time Stanford had "Touchdown Tommy" (Tommy Vardell) consesus All-American and another full-back drafted by the Cleveland Browns (my dad's pro team). My dad said his Princeton-Cleveland Brown connections were legendary, hehe. :smileani:

Back on topic, MagyarStuttgart ... Peter Orszag is a protege of Robert Rubin, and will make a valuable contribution to the Obama team, he's one of the brighter stars on the team. Obama is really putting together an all-star cast to tackle a worrying coming recession in our country.

Last edited by Florian1972; November 26th, 2008 at 05:01.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2008, 02:24
Star Player

Teams: VfB, Magyar U21
Yeah, but it's important to keep in mind that he doesn't speak any Hungarian nor has he ever visited the country(soure: http://www.delmagyar.hu/hirek/magyar...taban/2078653/). So I wouldn't bother getting over-enthusiastic about his ethnicity

Lantos Tomi on the other hand was pure 100% Hungarian, was born in Budapest and spoke with a very thick eastern English accent his whole life. He even brought up the treatment of Hungarian minorities in Slovakia in the US Senate! Legend
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2008, 02:59
AKA Galloping Shakespeare
Premier Player

Teams: Ferencvaros & Honved, Hungary varsity
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyarStuttgart View Post
Yeah, but it's important to keep in mind that he doesn't speak any Hungarian nor has he ever visited the country.

Lantos Tomi on the other hand was pure 100% Hungarian, was born in Budapest and spoke with a very thick eastern English accent his whole life. He even brought up the treatment of Hungarian minorities in Slovakia in the US Senate! Legend
MagyarStuttgart - Tom Lantos had been through a lot, first the Holocaust then dictatorial communism - he's seen and experienced the worse parts of the 20th century and ascended to a very high position within U.S. government. He passed away as a very well remembered democratic American and dignified person with an extended family. His fight for Magyar minority rights in Transylvania & Slovakia are recognized.

It's not a big deal that Peter Orszag never bothered to learn Hungarian or visit Hungary, that's not really that important as he's an American; he's also a virtuoso accomplished "brain" that the U.S. government will use as it projects itself into the 21st century.

Congradulations to the honorable Peter Orszag.

Last edited by Florian1972; November 26th, 2008 at 05:13.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2008, 11:50
Rising Star

Teams: Hungarian NT/IFK GBG/FTC/LFC
jaaah it just show that he do not care about his real homeland he is american now
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2008, 18:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnis View Post
jaaah it just show that he do not care about his real homeland he is american now
Actually he is supports the stereotype that Magyars make good mathematicians.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2008, 08:29
Rookie

Teams: Hungary, Vasas, Arsenal
The Honorable Fleisher
The Honorable Lantos
The Honorable Pataki
and now the Honorable Orszag

a few of these honorables I consider significantly less so.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2011, 06:22
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali bácsi View Post
He was born here, but he comes from Magyar parents like me.
Not true!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in