Hungarians that grew up outside of Hungary - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2008, 11:16
Magyar Angol

Hungarians that grew up outside of Hungary

Somewhat of a research thread I wanted to post here and would really genuinely appreciate your feedback and help.

In short, I wanted to ask how many people on here, who are of Hungarian origin, are living "outside" of Hungary and how you managed to be where you are now.

Also, if relevant, were you taught Hungarian when growing up by your parents or guardians?

I'll explain why I am asking.......
Recently my Magyar wife and I have had our first child, a baby boy. Clearly we are very keen to teach him Hungarian as he grows up and to make him very much aware of his "roots".

I'd love to hear some feedback from you with any stories, advice or just situations you found yourselves in over the years.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2008, 14:21
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magyar_Angol View Post
In short, I wanted to ask how many people on here, who are of Hungarian origin, are living "outside" of Hungary and how you managed to be where you are now.
born outside. Germany.

Quote:
Also, if relevant, were you taught Hungarian when growing up by your parents or guardians?

not really. taught myself after school and when in Hungary 1990-1992.

Quote:
I'll explain why I am asking.......
Recently my Magyar wife and I have had our first child, a baby boy. Clearly we are very keen to teach him Hungarian as he grows up and to make him very much aware of his "roots".

I'd love to hear some feedback from you with any stories, advice or just situations you found yourselves in over the years.

Many thanks
great idea. grwowing up bi-lingual is always beneficial. especially if it's a language with a complete different grammatical system, but that may be just me, the grammar and linguistics nerd. anyways, I can't see any disadvantage if 2 parallel linguistic systems are running on one's hard disk in the head.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2008, 14:52
Rising Star

Teams: Hungary, Újpest FC
born in Germany, too. No, I wasn't taught Hungarian and I really can't understand why not! my parents (especially my dad) really dont know either now.. think they never really thought about it before.
So try to let your child grow up bilingual. It's a big advantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap
...but Serie A, give me redbull, cocaine, speed, extasy, redbull, espresso, guaraná and mate tea at once, I will fall asleep after 2 minutes.

EPL I might stand 3 minutes, Spanish crap 4 minutes, Bundesliga 5 minutes.

NB1 and magyarfociválogatott I could watch to eternity even with hard sleeping pills in me vains.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2008, 14:56
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
Born in Hungary but raised abroad. Didn't learn Hungarian fluently, just picked up some words from the family. Didn't bother to learn it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2008, 15:21
International

Teams: Hungary
There is really no disadvantage in being raised a bilingual from the get-go. If I have children they'll definitely be bilingual. Even if the father is Hungarian as well. p
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2008, 16:03
Magyar Angol

Thanks for the replies so far, very interesting they are too!
Very impressed that some of you decided to learn some of the language on your own.

Of course my wife is already speaking to him in Hungarian and I in English. Not that he will understand anything right now seeing that he is only 3 weeks old lol!!!

Clearly we hope that his "Hard-Drive" can cope with this and with frequent family visits to Hungary and living in England, family school etc we hope we will get there. I am very much in favour of him learning about Hungarian history, culture and of course FOOD

So, two ppl from Germany, Holland? and Hungary (Elyria?)

I'd love to hear from anyone that grew up in English speaking countries. Benny?

Thanks for your comments so far
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2008, 20:50
Magyar Angol

I thought there might be a few more replies on here p

Hey ho
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 00:59
Legend

Teams: FTC, Hungary
I was born in Canada.

Both my parents are Hungarian - so they only spoke Hungarian to me (it was my first language) I would play on the streets when I was rly young and speak Hungarian to everyone and they would b like wtf ? LoL!

I went to Hungarian school on Saturdays where I learned how to read and write, grammar, everything else... I read Hungarian books and listened to Hungarian music and watched Hungarian movies. I can understand Hungarian perfectly and speak it very well, but obviously not on the level as Hungarians in Hungary...

All I can say is when you are really young, you can learn a lot of languages quite easily, so plan out how you will do this. For a while I used to speak Portugese because my babysitter was Portugese and thats the language she would speak to me in...

Én soha nem felejtem,
Magyarnak születtem!

Itt élek Európa szívében, vízilabdában mi vagyunk a császárok és igenis nálunk élnek a világ legszebb női. Magyarország, én így szeretlek!

Tehetségben nincs hiány, hiszem hogy jó lesz még a magyar foci!

RIA,RIA, HungáRIA!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:49
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: USA/Hungarian NT
I was born in New York City and grew up in Montclair, New Jersey.

Both my parents are 100% Magyar. Dad (Nemeth Geza) was born in Szombathely, his family eventually settled in Kispest (Puskas baby!). Mom (Szekely Eva) is Jewish, was born in Budapest.

I grew up in a pure Magyar household. Magyar was my first language, when I started school I took English as a second language (so Im told). Although both of my parents are proud of being Hungarian, my dad was by far the most extreme case. If he were to ask me something (always in Hun) and I would answer in English, he would immediately correct me and say "nem 'yeah'" hanem "igen." He would blast Kalman Laszlo's radio program on Sundays so much the house would shake. My love of foci comes directly from him.

As I have no real family in the US my parents stuck me on a plane most summers to go visit all of my family, grandparents, aunts, cousins etc...There was no real Hun community where I lived so I was almost viewed as being a bit different. A friend would
jokingly refer to me as the "Hungarian Nightmare" when we were playing sports ha ha..

I think its great you want to teach your boy Magyar. I definitely appreciate it more now as an adult than when I was a kid. There are some Huns I've come across who never spoke it, or just forgot and it really makes me even more thankful for being in touch with my roots.

All this being said I think there is a fine line when it comes to being patriotic. My dad was so to the point that it (in my eyes) blinded him. For example, he would make fun of baseball just because he didn't understand it or cuz it was too American (proud Mets fan here). The key is to find the right balance so you don't miss out on other people's perspectives. Knowing two cultures can really be a blessing.

Last edited by Aron; October 22nd, 2008 at 05:58.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:19
Xtratime Elite

I really envy you guys. as for me, only my dad was magyar (from Somogy) and my mum is austrian jewish (from Vienna) and they would never teach me hungarian because it was considered useless in the 1st place back then and my mum wouldn't speak it anyways so the lesson was the boy has to learn proper german and nothing else but the problem was as the boy went to school system in germany with latin (from 5th grade), english (from 7th grade), french (from 9th grade) and italian (from 10th grade) he began to think about wtf theres something missing so he went to bloody Hungary after érettség to learn his father's tongue. well, it's anoher thing he never suceeded in it, so bloody hell, put him to concentration camp that's the place he deserves to be after all the lazy bastard.

szövkap, kill him, or torture him, he is just a bloody prick and a son of a bitch

Last edited by szövkap; October 22nd, 2008 at 05:25.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:27
Xtratime Elite

I don't really know if I have any right to be here. I think I don't. I should go and arse licking of the german or austrian forum if they ever accept me. which is what I doubt they'd do. I just suck.

szövkap
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:29
Legend

Teams: FTC, Hungary
My parent's just didn't teach me the language, but the history, culture, and everything else. For all school projects, I would choose Hungarian related topics. My dad said that even though we are living here, never forget your roots, because it makes you the person you are today.

Én soha nem felejtem, MAGYARnak születtem!

Én soha nem felejtem,
Magyarnak születtem!

Itt élek Európa szívében, vízilabdában mi vagyunk a császárok és igenis nálunk élnek a világ legszebb női. Magyarország, én így szeretlek!

Tehetségben nincs hiány, hiszem hogy jó lesz még a magyar foci!

RIA,RIA, HungáRIA!!!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:30
Xtratime Elite

please someone remove my fm rights right now. I am not worthy to be in this place let alone be a "forum manager". :thmbdown::em barass::notlist:
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:33
Xtratime Elite

magyar gyerek = hero

szövkap = vesztes and has nothing to do in here

so gudbáj and viszlát boys I am off I am not even worthy to kiss your feet
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:41
Star Player

Teams: Hungary,MTK Hungaria,Liverpool FC
I was born in Budapest went to kindergarden at home. i lived in hungary for 6 years then i moved to Canada. My parents thought me hungarian very well so i speak the language perfectly like in Hungary..whats interesting is my dad and mom taught me. My mum is Hungarian jewish and my father is from Madagascar. He finished his university in Budapest and got his degree in electrical engineering from the Muszaki egyetem. He knows perfect Hungarian and we still talk in hungarian between each other (in family). My brother was born in Canada but speaks the language perfectly since my parents taught him and i taught him as well. He reads , writes just like everyone in the family.

= Torres+ Nemeth =
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:43
Star Player

Teams: Hungary,MTK Hungaria,Liverpool FC
And its very important to learn the motherland's language. Like people say its to keep your roots. We are Hungarians and we are proud. Hajra Magyarok!

= Torres+ Nemeth =
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:56
Forum Manager
World Class Player

One thing I've heard is that the whole immigrant's relationship to their roots changes by the generation. Like now in America its considerred important no matter what nationality you are. You have parades of all different cultures in NYC, its a sense of pride, but it wasn't always like this. The generation before my parents saw it very differently. To them the point was to leave behind their roots and start over as Americans. They saw themselves as that first and foremost above anything else. So their original culture took a back seat somewhat.

One of the Huns I was referring to who used to speak Magyarul is just about the only person in the USA that is somewhat (distant) family to me. He is about my mom's age (early 60s). I think he is a product of this way of thinking.

I always assumed this is why Joe Namath's name is spelled the way it is.

Last edited by Aron; October 22nd, 2008 at 06:08.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:58
Xtratime Elite

dan 895 = hero

me, I am a bloody Jürgen and subpar of anyone here

szövkap

may I go to hell as soon as possible. I don't know how to speak hungarian. english either. so spit you all on my grave. I don't deserve any better.

I am a traitor and loser and a son of a bitch. bloody Hitler just forgot me.

Last edited by szövkap; October 22nd, 2008 at 06:08.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:16
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Looking back, I think I could've summed myself up with one true statement...

I grew up in NJ with a cat named "Mecske."

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:47
Premier Player

Born and raised in Hungary by a Magyar father and an ethnic German mother (echte Donauschwäbin). But my German is really poor, I would like to improve it. My English is also shite (I have learned it only for 11 months and only in Hungary). You can miss a lot in your childhood if your parents don't teach you for other languages, since growing up as bi-lingual is really advantageous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in