Internet firms in file sharing deal - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 11:21
Magyar Angol

Internet firms in file sharing deal

Six of the UK's biggest net providers have agreed a plan with the music industry to tackle piracy online.

The deal, negotiated by the government, will see hundreds of thousands of letters sent to net users suspected of illegally sharing music.

Hard core file-sharers could see their broadband connections slowed, under measures proposed by the UK government.

Waynkers

This doesn't just apply to music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 11:26
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
It had to happen sooner or later. My friend is in shyt for sharing. He's facing time in court.
I'm gonna change his hard drive and he's gonna say his connection was stolen through his wireless router
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 11:29
Magyar Angol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
It had to happen sooner or later. My friend is in shyt for sharing. He's facing time in court.
I'm gonna change his hard drive and he's gonna say his connection was stolen through his wireless router
Was he a heavy user though Benny? Also who was his ISP? Did they grass him up?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 11:32
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magyar_Angol View Post
Was he a heavy user though Benny? Also who was his ISP? Did they grass him up?
I wouldn't say he's a heavy user. But he regularly downloads. He's with virgin media (20 mbit). They took his IP from a torrent of the game 'two worlds'.

I have the letter...hold on I'll just get it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 11:35
Magyar Angol

Quote:
He's with virgin media (20 mbit).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7486743.stm

WaynKers:thmbdown:
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 11:35
Magyar Angol

Quote:

I have the letter...hold on I'll just get it.
Sure......
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 11:45
Magyar Angol

Thanks for "sharing" (pardon the pun) this Benny. So cut along story short they are going after your mate for between 600 - 1000.

Damn, damn and double damn. I'm gonna check my ISP's terms and conditions. However, looking at this letter it seems that they approached Virgin Media, explained what was going on and they released the name and address etc of your mate for Davenport Lyons to prosecute.

Again... Waynkers!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 11:54
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magyar_Angol View Post
So cut along story short they are going after your mate for between £600 - £1000.

Yeah that's correct, that's also around the same price they are going after many other people. 4 people have successfully been prosecuted so far. Mainly because they didn't defend themselves. But I've made it very clear to him nobody can prove it was him that downloaded it. There are currently 5 other people living with him. 2 others with laptops. It was him btw p but I'm just saying so they have to prove it was him. It's just scare tactics to get people to pay up.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 12:44
Rising Star

Teams: RIA RIA HUNGARIA!
Quote:
Yeah that's correct, that's also around the same price they are going after many other people. 4 people have successfully been prosecuted so far. Mainly because they didn't defend themselves. But I've made it very clear to him nobody can prove it was him that downloaded it. There are currently 5 other people living with him. 2 others with laptops. It was him btw p but I'm just saying so they have to prove it was him. It's just scare tactics to get people to pay up.
you shouldn't post such things, once something is on the internet it potentially stays there forever - wouldn't want there "Cyber IT Forensic Experts" reading this!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2008, 12:47
Xtratime Elite

It was him, it was him, it was him....this can really be used in court

Prosecutor "on the 24th July on XT forum a member known as "Bentex" AKA "Bentex the god" AKA "Bentex the legend" posted "it was him".... I rest my case
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2008, 15:52
Magyar Angol

UK, Wednesday August 20, 2008

Thousands of gamers who have shared files illegally online are about to get a nasty surprise through the post - a fine for hundreds of pounds.

The makers behind popular games such as The Lord Of The Rings and the Colin McRae rally series are set to serve 25,000 people with the legal notices.

The families targeted must then pay 300 to settle out of court or face the possibility of a trial.

They are accused of sharing games by top makers Atari, Codemasters, Topware Interactive, Reality Pump and Techland, illegally.

Roger Billens from the law firm leading the action, Davenport Lyons, said his clients were "incensed" by the large numbers of file-sharers.

"In the first 14 days since Topware Interactive released Dream Pinball 3D it sold 800 legitimate copies but was illegally downloaded 12,000 times. Hopefully people will think twice if they risk being taken to court," he said.

Partner David Gore blamed faster internet download speeds for the problem and said it results in "millions of pounds of losses to copyright owners".

The scale of the crackdown dwarfs the efforts made by the UK music business against illegal downloaders as they have reportedly launched action against just 150 people in the last decade.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2008, 18:43
Xtratime Elite

LoL, scare tactics! they can't prove they downloaded the game. All they can prove is their internet connection was used. Anyone could have downloaded it or it was stolen from their wireless router. Like they are going to take 25,000 people to court
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2009, 17:14
Xtratime Elite

Now they're going to cut us off

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...u3Eg0QjXV8u5Nw

Slowing down people's internet didn't work
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2009, 17:45
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
Just buy a laptop and log on to other peoples wireless routers There is always someone who doesn't know how set a password or change them.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2009, 17:49
Xtratime Elite

I have wireless on desktop Angela (whoever she is) has a really fast download

My nephew logs onto Mr Ramathula's
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2009, 17:54
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
I have some dude/women named Kasi

When I was on the island I logged in to the bosses blackberry account and downloaded around 1gig Luckily I wasn't there anymore around the time the bill came in.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2009, 14:28
Magyar Angol

Well, it's all bullsh!t really. Clearly the likes of Peter Mangell-son stepping up and saying Digital Britain (2012) has to come quicker and be brought forward really makes me laff.
Corrupt muther fudders like him and our government as a whole doing deals with Libya etc etc can go take a running jump. PR!CKS.

Bring on the Gen Election I say.

For those that haven't already.... it's all about Usenet
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2011, 23:33
Xtratime Elite

Angela added a password

Now I have to download on my own account

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in