Austro-Hungarian Air Aces of WWI - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2008, 22:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Austro-Hungarian Air Aces of WWI

Hi guys
just reading the book of Dr.Martin O´Connor - Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 1914-1918

The best Hungarian was Josef Kiss with 19 confirmed victories, followed by Stefan Fejes (16 confirmed/4 unconfirmed victories).

list continues:
3. Karl Kaszala, Alexander Tahy, Ferdinand Udvardy - 8
6. Josef von Maier, Johann Risztics - 7
8. Johann Frint, Alexander Kasza - 6
10. Julius Busa, Bela Macourek/Maklary, Rudolf Szepessy-Szokol - 5

Dr. O´Connor did great job with exploring after-war life of many Air Aces, unfortuntaley in case of some pilots he didn´t succeed. F.e. part about Stefan Fejes end following: His activities after WWII are unknown except that it was belief of julius Arigi that Fejes was alive in Budapest at least into 1950s.

Stefan Udvardy: Unfortunately, other details of his life are lacking, save for the fact that, acc.Friedrich Hefty´s son, Udvardy died soon after WWII.

Johann Risztics: Somewhat later (after WWI) Risztics served as Chief Test Pilot for the Junkers firm in Germany. There he set 2 world records while flying the Junkers G-4 aircraft. Other details of his life are unfortunately unavalaible.

Bela Macourek/Maklary - other details lacking

Do you think there is any possibility to get the missing details sonewhere, f.e.hungarian literature ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2008, 05:54
Premier Player

Martin O'Connor's book is an excellent one. Sadly, he passed away in a quite young age...

As for the missing details and some extra stuff, you should wait my book about them (incl. a 'new' pilot, Újvári, who scored 4 confirmed kills in WWI, his 5th confirmed air victory was a Romanian plane in 1919)
It will be not as large as my book about WWII aces:
http://konyvnet.hu/konyv.php?konyv_i...WI2X8uwHsZ0aNt
since much less pilot but perhaps it will be in English (my WWII aces book was available only in Hungarian language and it is sold out)

Last edited by Aruns; June 6th, 2008 at 06:22.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 07:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Writing books about air aces ? Unbelievable, I´m lucky one to meet you on football forum.

Unfortunately I can´t speak hungarian, I´d buy your book despite and try to get some help from my hungarian speaking friends.

Dr.Martin O´Connor already passed away ? I believe he was born in 1942. That´s sad.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 07:58
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
The forum is full of celebrities like myself p
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 08:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

hey Bentex where in hell are you recruiting your forum pals ? In Slovak forum always the same 3-4 lazy bums as me
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 08:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ferdinand Nandor Udvardy. On Aerodrome archive 1999 have found information that his medals were for sale at Niemann. If it´s true that he died soon after WWII (acc.Friedrich Hefty´s son), who was keeping his medals for long 50 years ? I believe he had some descendants.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 08:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Would be nice to know more about only slovakian Air Ace of Austro-Hungarian Empire, Franz Wognar.

Born in 1890 in Nagyszombat / Trnava, he married slovenian girl after WWI. Died in 1943. Further details of his life are missing.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 17:45
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoo View Post
Writing books about air aces ? Unbelievable, I´m lucky one to meet you on football forum.

Unfortunately I can´t speak hungarian, I´d buy your book despite and try to get some help from my hungarian speaking friends.

Dr.Martin O´Connor already passed away ? I believe he was born in 1942. That´s sad.
Martin O'Connor passed away in the '90's. Big loss...
As for the WWI pilots: you know, I have a kind of time-table. Since all of them passed away long time ago, there is not a hurry with them. At the moment, I'm concentrating to the WWII aviators. That's a desparate race with time. More, than 99,5% of the RHAF's WWII material went missing, so the remained information at veterans, their close relatives and friends are priceless. This is a kind of duty to me to collect, preserve and publish these materials. I'm still doing this.

Regarding Udvary - I don't know any relatives but I do not tried to catch his family yet. But sadly, it happens sometimes (I mean, selling the heritage). Sometimes even the old chaps doing it. For example Heinz Ewald, a Ritterkreuzträger pilot of JG 52 (84 kills) from WW II sold his Knight's Cross and other wartime stuffz to a collector in the USA for multiple thousand of $ He was a strange fellow.

Do you know the publications about K.u.K. Fliegertruppen in Austria (books, articles)? There are some experts in Austria, most notable Wolfgang Meindl. They publish mostly technical details, but perhaps they have some more biographical details as well (for example about Wognar - since he was not Hungarian, I do not plan any serious hunt after his relatives)
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 18:38
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Détári +10
Don't tell me you haven't talked to each other before. I find it surprising, to say the least, that someone opens a very special theme thread in a community of 15 people and an other one is writing books about it.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 19:04
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Máté View Post
Don't tell me you haven't talked to each other before. I find it surprising, to say the least, that someone opens a very special theme thread in a community of 15 people and an other one is writing books about it.
I don't know him and I have never posted any aviation stuff here before, since there are no aviation topics (I mean, among general English off-topic titles in xtratime)

But aviation history is quite popular. Not as popular as football, of course, but still:smileani:
By the way it is possible, that he noticed my former avatar and it was the inspiring factor for the topic
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 19:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Máté View Post
Aruns first avatar was Josef Kiss one, so I supposed he could know something about WWI aviation

TBH I had no clue about WWI aviation but when my dad passed away 2 months ago I decided to do little genealogical research and among my ancestors have found some interesting names. One of them was my great uncle Karl Semmelrock (born in Répcelak, Hungary), pilot of FLIK 30 and FLIK 51J, flying on ALbatros DIII (OEF) who was shot down by canadian ace William Barker in 1918, Feb 5th at 12:00 about 3kms NW of Oderzo (Battle of Piave, Italy). Since I´d like to know more about the WWI stuff I opened the thread and hoped someone like Aruns could know more.

Another Karl Semelrock´s co-pilots of Flik 51J were Benno Fiala von Fernbrugg (28 victories), Eugen Bönsch (16), Stefan Fejes (16), Franz Rudorfer (11), Alexander Tahy (8), Ludwig Hautzmayer (7), Wedige von Froreich (5), Friedrich Dechant (2), Karl Balzareno (1), Franz Schwarzmann (1), Eugen Ziegler (1), Sigmund von Josipovich, Ernst von Pontalti
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2008, 19:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruns View Post
Martin O'Connor passed away in the '90's. Big loss...
that´s pretty sad, he was the guy who talked to Brumowski´s wife/daughter, to Arigi itself, Banfield etc. Thanks to GOD he put down their memories and wrote his book. May his soul rest in peace.

Quote:
As for the WWI pilots: you know, I have a kind of time-table. Since all of them passed away long time ago, there is not a hurry with them. At the moment, I'm concentrating to the WWII aviators. That's a desparate race with time. More, than 99,5% of the RHAF's WWII material went missing, so the remained information at veterans, their close relatives and friends are priceless. This is a kind of duty to me to collect, preserve and publish these materials. I'm still doing this.
I know what are you talking about, 2 weeks ago died Imrich Štosel (93), last living slovak pilot of WWII.

Quote:
Do you know the publications about K.u.K. Fliegertruppen in Austria (books, articles)? There are some experts in Austria, most notable Wolfgang Meindl. They publish mostly technical details, but perhaps they have some more biographical details as well (for example about Wognar - since he was not Hungarian, I do not plan any serious hunt after his relatives)
Have heard about Wolfgang Meindl, he has great archive with many pics, some of them were used in O´Connors book.

I would like to visit Kriegsarchiv in Vienna and try to find the place where is my great uncle buried. Have some nice photos of him, his Albatros DIII, him with his fiancee, his crashed plane or pics from his burial. With my cousin and auntie I´d like to identify the place of his burial. Me and my cousin could make short family re-union trip to northern Italy, have some beers together and give a credit to our forgotten great uncle who passed away exactly 90 years ago.

Howabout Wognar, don´t even know where to start. No people with such a name living in Trnava. He married slovenian girl after WWI and died in 1943 in Odessa/Ukraine, nothing known in between. Other interesting fact is that Wognar was born in 1890, January 6th. My wife was born in 1980, January 6th too. From numerological point of view, they should be of same temperament

Last edited by Kajoo; June 11th, 2008 at 21:25.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 05:52
Premier Player

Quote:
Aruns first avatar was Josef Kiss one, so I supposed he could know something about WWI aviation

TBH I had no clue about WWI aviation but when my dad passed away 2 months ago I decided to do little genealogical research and among my ancestors have found some interesting names. One of them was my great uncle Karl Semmelrock (born in Répcelak, Hungary), pilot of FLIK 30 and FLIK 51J, flying on ALbatros DIII (OEF) who was shot down by canadian ace William Barker in 1918, Feb 5th at 12:00 about 3kms NW of Oderzo (Battle of Piave, Italy). Since I´d like to know more about the WWI stuff I opened the thread and hoped someone like Aruns could know more.

Another Karl Semelrock´s co-pilots of Flik 51J were Benno Fiala von Fernbrugg (28 victories), Eugen Bönsch (16), Stefan Fejes (16), Franz Rudorfer (11), Alexander Tahy (8), Ludwig Hautzmayer (7), Wedige von Froreich (5), Friedrich Dechant (2), Karl Balzareno (1), Franz Schwarzmann (1), Eugen Ziegler (1), Sigmund von Josipovich, Ernst von Pontalti

A friend of mine bought the kind of personal diary (!) of Tahy from his relatives long time ago. Unfortunately, he cocentrated only WWII stuffz, so he sold it (!) even without making a copy (!)
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 05:54
Premier Player

Quote:
that´s pretty sad, he was the guy who talked to Brumowski´s wife/daughter, to Arigi itself, Banfield etc. Thanks to GOD he put down their memories and wrote his book. May his soul rest in peace.

I know what are you talking about, 2 weeks ago died Imrich Štosel (93), last living slovak pilot of WWII.

Have heard about Wolfgang Meindl, he has great archive with many pics, some of them were used in O´Connors book.

I would like to visit Kriegsarchiv in Vienna and try to find the place where is my great uncle buried. Have some nice photos of him, his Albatros DIII, him with his fiancee, his crashed plane or pics from his burial. With my cousin and auntie I´d like to identify the place of his burial. Me and my cousin could make short family re-union trip to northern Italy, have some beers together and give a credit to our forgotten great uncle who passed away exactly 90 years ago.

Howabout Wognar, don´t even know where to start. No people with such a name living in Trnava. He married slovenian girl after WWI and died in 1943 in Odessa/Ukraine, nothing known in between. Other interesting fact is that Wognar was born in 1890, January 6th. My wife was born in 1980, January 6th too. From numerological point of view, they should be of same temperament
Last Slovak pilot died? What about Cyprich?

Anyway, Kriegsarchiv is the first place for the serious reserach. However, if you are interested in their biographical details after WWI, they are not able to help you.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 06:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
A friend of mine bought the kind of personal diary (!) of Tahy from his relatives long time ago. Unfortunately, he cocentrated only WWII stuffz, so he sold it (!) even without making a copy (!)

That´s BRUTAL !

Whom your friend sold this diary ?
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 06:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Last Slovak pilot died? What about Cyprich?
still alive and kicking in Trencin, sorry for misinformation. Somewhere´ve read article about Stosel´s death where it was mentioned and I didn´t check it because I´m not much into WWII stuff. My bad :thmbdown:

Quote:
Anyway, Kriegsarchiv is the first place for the serious reserach. However, if you are interested in their biographical details after WWI, they are not able to help you.
do you think that Kriegsarchiv contains some usefull information about place of pilot´s burial ? I´d like to see places where were buried Semmelrock, Kiss, Linke-Crawford f.e. Was thinking about Ö-Schwarzes Kreuz assistance.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 07:11
Premier Player

Quote:
That´s BRUTAL !

Whom your friend sold this diary ?
Dunno, it was long time ago (kinda 15+ years) IIRC he bought a box from an old lady, who was a widow of a descendant of Tahy. The box contained the diary too (which was damaged and hardly readable, but still) He was pretty young and did not realize the value of the document.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 07:25
Premier Player

Quote:
do you think that Kriegsarchiv contains some usefull information about place of pilot´s burial ? I´d like to see places where were buried Semmelrock, Kiss, Linke-Crawford f.e. Was thinking about Ö-Schwarzes Kreuz assistance.
Many cemeteries were closed or contracted after WWI (Kiss was re-buried because of this too) But he has an extra memorial in Pergine's Peace Park. Italians holding his memory in high esteem
Unfortunately, I'm not up to date with every WWI aviator grave but thse are registered for sure (re-burials too) in Italy.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 07:50
Premier Player

BTW mate,

do you know the exact date, when Frantisek Hanovec deceased (and where)?
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 09:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Died at age of 85, in 2001, April 14th. He´s buried in his native village Bánová (now part of Žilina, NW Slovakia)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in