Best Movie of '07: Transformers! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 04:27 Thread Starter
AKA Galloping Shakespeare
Premier Player

Teams: Ferencvaros & Honved, Hungary varsity
Best Movie of '07: Transformers!

As a kid growing up in the 80s, there were two big cartoons: GI Joe and Transformers.

In short, this was one of the most entertaining films I have ever seen. Tthe lip-quivering awesome special-effects, direction, and above-the-shelf acting make it to one of my all-time greats.

This film, is a solid grade A from the plotline to scale and again the realism of CG effects. I recommend it as the best film of 2007, and all MSV members should go out and see it.

http://www.transformersmovie.com/

Here are some user reviews: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808716430/user

Go & see this movie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 04:33
JESTER OF SORTS
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Dortmund, Leverkusen
Optimus & Megatron are brothers in the movie.

That is all you need to know to rip up your ticket and leave.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 05:09 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK ANDY
Optimus & Megatron are brothers in the movie.
You must be in your 30s and have watched some of the original cartoons in the 80s to know that Andy. I'm sure you know of GI Joe, but I'm curious if you know or heard of this series called Thundarr the Barbarian, it was featured in the early 80s. If you have then you're in elite cartoon sci-fi company.

Nonetheless, even if Optimus and Megatron were brothers, all the more to watch this film. Have you read the reviews, I'm giving it 8 1/2, almost 9 bags of popcorn out of 10.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 06:01
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingMajor
As a kid growing up in the 80s, there were two big cartoons: GI Joe and Transformers.
Transformers, He-Man, Mask we're some I remember but not GI Joe. There was Thundercats too.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 06:05
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
And the British supershow Thunderbirds
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 06:06
Xtratime Elite

Never watched it
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 06:14
Xtratime Elite

I thought this was a 'special effects' film but some of them story ratings are very high. Nearly all visual ratings are A+ though.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 06:52 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex
Transformers, He-Man, Mask we're some I remember but not GI Joe. There was Thundercats too.
Just strictly talking 80s, the Big Two were Transformers and G.I. Joe if you were in the American market. Oh man, you really did miss out Bentex, where were you in the mid-80s not to hear of G.I. Joe? He-Man was fairly big also, that and Thundercats probably rounded out probably the big four in the American market in the 80s. Man, I'm sour that you missed out on GI Joe Bentex, you woulda loved it, absolutely loved it.

Remember how the next generation that took after ours was heavily agog with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and that was mega-huge for that crowd. Just think, the generation I was wedged in with was the Pac-Man - MTV gen, that loved Transformers, the Generation X variety, baby-boomers' kids. It's great thing to be in Gen X, it has its perks.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 07:16
Xtratime Elite

Quote:

Remember how the next generation that took after ours was heavily agog with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and that was mega-huge for that crowd.
Yes I remember that. It was huge. It was the biggest thing of its time. I dunno what has been around since then that was as big as that. It was a truly great product merchandise everywhere.

Do you not remember Mask?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQdgbs0IUDg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQdgbs0IUDg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Along with transformers that was the big thing.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 07:19
Xtratime Elite

What a world we live in with this internet
http://www.world-of-cartoons.de/mask/ I can't imagine living without it now
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 07:59 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Yes I remember that. It was huge. It was the biggest thing of its time.
Bentex, for Pete's sake, will you change your avatar, its creeping my fair sensibilities out.

I'm not exactly sure how old you are but if you're a true Gen Xer, well you have to be somewhat (birth years 1961-1981), but some true Gen Xers will convey that G.I. Joe and Transformers were the highmark of the Gen X cartoon experience and that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were for "dorks", and although I don't share that opinion, G.I. Joe and the Transformers were the high watermarks for Gen X tv pop culture . Gosh darnit, you never saw G.I. Joe Bentex, dadgummit (that's ol American slang for damn), you truly missed out man.

Quote:
Do you not remember Mask?
. Honestly, I never heard of that toon, but if you really want to talk about the greatest cartoon series ever made you probably never seen it. It's called Thundarr the Barbarian. If you were seven years old and watched till nine years of age, you'd also claim it was the greatest cartoon series ever made. So much I want to share to you Bentex, culturally speaking.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 08:04
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
well you have to be somewhat (birth years 1961-1981)
Well you're right I was born in 1979. I feel like an old man now when I should be in my prime My prime was actually when I was about 19
I've never heard of Thundarr. I've heard of GI Józsi but I don't think I watched it or it wasn't on over here.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 08:08 Thread Starter
Premier Player

How fast is your internet connection Bentex?

I'm sure its blazing and will run circles around mine.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 08:11
Xtratime Elite

20mbit

If you want to check yours go here http://www.speedtest.net/
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 08:21 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Lip-quivering fast Bentex, you're Ferrari fast which is a really great thing. Do this for me, I want to guage your taste as an aficianado for cartoons. Again, I say Thundarr the Barbarian was the greatest cartoon ever created so here's a challange for you on the 4th of July which is a holiday here in the U.S..

Go to : http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

I'm sure you know how to download a YouTube file. Do me a small favor, and pick the first one at the top that says Thundarr the Barbarian Cartoon Intro (1980), and tell me what you think. You probably won't be disappointed.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 08:25
Xtratime Elite

The thing is I'm 27 now so I can't really appreciate it.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 08:49 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
The thing is I'm 27 now so I can't really appreciate it.
Did you still appreciate the Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Tron and the Transformers (the movie, which you haven't seen yet). I'm 34 now so a tad wiser than you, and this stigma that 30 year olds are supposed to be super-adults is myth-making Bentex in full swing, most of us are responsible adults with some or a lot of kid in us. That's we like and talk sports for instance with balls on occassion. To gain a piece of creative genius and appreciate the works of other adults, you have to double back and circle around to again check out the cartoons that were made for us when we were kids.

Come on, do Galloping Major a small favor download that intro piece here: http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

Tell me what you think, I value your opinion Bentex.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 08:58
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Did you still appreciate the Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Tron and the Transformers (the movie, which you haven't seen yet).
I've not seen any of them, I will watch Transformers though. But probably
wait for a download than go to the cinema. I dunno if there are many films we both like remember I don't like Westerns either. My fave American movies have to be Donnie Brasco, Goodfellas, Big Daddy <---- great movie, Meet the parents and I-Spy

Quote:
I'm 34 now so a tad wiser than you,
Age has little to do with wisdom. You should read some of the posts I have to deal with on this forum from 40+ year olds.
Quote:
Come on, do Galloping Major a small favor download that intro piece here: http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

Tell me what you think, I value your opinion Bentex.
I did watch it, but like I said before I can't appreciate it because I don't have the mind of a 5 years old anymore. Sorry I'd like to for you but sadly I can't I can tell you what I liked at the time though.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 09:18 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
I've not seen any of them, I will watch Transformers though.
You mean you've never seen the Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Tron? I can respect pacifists but what kind of movie goer are you exactly? Don't answer that Bentex. :P

Quote:
Age has little to do with wisdom. You should read some of the posts I have to deal with on this forum from 40+ year olds.

Just goes to show about what I said about adulthood, but most 40+ year olds would tell you they're having fun and want to let their kid out to play, but years certainly bring wisdom Bentex, it always does, that's the general rule.

Quote:
I did watch it, but like I said before I can't appreciate it because I don't have the mind of a 5 years old anymore.
You missed the whole point entirely Bentex, its not about regressing in age and going back in time, its about appreciating the artistic and novel stories that we were exposed to and grew up with.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 09:29
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
You mean you've never seen the Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Tron? I can respect pacifists but what kind of movie goer are you exactly? Don't answer that Bentex. :P
No I've never seen any of those. It doesn't flick my switch. I'll answer your question anyway. I like movies with funny/clever dialog. Lock stock and two smoking barrels is a masterpiece for me. But I understand why people who can't speak cockney or have an understanding of it don't value it as much as me. It's really genius. There is also trainspotting thats a great movie. What I like about Big Daddy is that you are giving useless information during the start which isn't funny or interesting but later on in the movie because it's still in your mind for you to 'get' the later jokes.

Quote:
but years certainly bring wisdom Bentex, it always does, that's the general rule.
That's what you say. But many people gain more experirence and wisdom in 2 years than some people in 20. I'd say I learned more between 16-18 than I did since then

Quote:
You missed the whole point entirely Bentex, its not about regressing in age and going back in time, its about appreciating the artistic and novel stories that we were exposed to and grew up with.
I think you misunderstood me. I can't appreciate that anymore because it no longer flicks my switch. Sorry but I feel nothing when I watch it now. Maybe when I was 5 I might have enjoyed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in