No name thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2007, 13:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
No name thread

Casual strolling is relaxing. I just let my mind drift.

[I've probably contributed to every single off-topic thread in this community, it's one of my things. Hello]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2007, 14:12
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
Hello nice to meet you, even if you are a gooner
post #3 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2007, 22:37
International

Teams: Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex
Hello nice to meet you, even if you are a gooner

Hey ILA. *waves*

Little sis love, (hope you don't mind):

She is the second with hands in the water. I only realize how much I miss her when I go home for the weekend and have to come back to Budapest on Monday.

post #4 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 02:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Cool picture. Well, my sympathies on that, although I hate that these words feel so empty.

Unfortunately I haven't learnt how to swim, during primary school some of the worst days would be when I'd be in the bus, driving to Dingley [suburb where the pool hall is], with an intense feeling of foreboding. The smell of chlorine, maybe not so bad in itself but I despised it! Usually my fears were confirmed, especially once when I panicked and thrashed around in the water, oh no I'm going to drown! but of course one of the teachers chanced along to rescue me.

Still, I say "unfortunately" because I enjoy the feeling of water. Once I spent a holiday alternating between lazing about in the spa and sleeping.

I watch it occasionally as a sport, not to say I'm a big fan of it but as we're good at it, coverage is comprehensive and is shoved down our throats when our elite swimmers are involved in major events. It can get quite exciting at times, still I don't go out of my way to follow it. My favourite water sport is diving, I appreciate the elegance involved.

And, thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; June 12th, 2007 at 02:32.
post #5 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 02:28
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILA
Cool picture. Well, my sympathies on that, although I hate that these words feel so empty.
Thanks

Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't learnt how to swim, during primary school some of the worst days would be when I'd be in the bus, driving to Dingley [suburb where the pool hall is], with an intense feeling of foreboding. The smell of chlorine, maybe not so bad in itself but I despised it! Usually my fears were confirmed, especially once when I panicked and thrashed around in the water, oh no I'm going to drown! but of course one of the teachers chanced along to rescue me.
Still, I say "unfortunately" because I enjoy the feeling of water. Once I spent a holiday alternating between lazing about in the spa and sleeping.
I know the feeling. I remember when I was taught how to swim, as soon as I stepped into the water my lips started to tremble, my whole body shook and I started crying. :-\ I don't know why, because I love being in the water, but I always feared of drowning. Must be some kind of childhood trauma I can't remember, because it's buried deep down in the back of my mind.

Quote:
My favourite water sport is diving, I appreciate the elegance involved.
Be careful, Bentex might jump on this sentence.
post #6 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 02:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Urgh I didn't anticipate someone would be awake in Europe during this moment. And was updating my last post with these photographs.

A continuation of sorts

And again

Once more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyria
Be careful, Bentex might jump on this sentence.
Is that due to his belief that diving isn't a sport? That's happened to me in the past, I'm prepared.

The bulk of your message, I'm trying to think of a response but my mind is blank at the moment. Even if you say it's not necessary, unfortunately I'm an irrational bastard to the core and am sensitive to how people think about me. You responded well to me and I feel I'm not returning that, so I feel this stupid guilt and place negative thoughts into your mind.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #7 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 02:46
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILA
Urgh I didn't anticipate someone would be awake in Europe during this moment.
I have insomnia. It is handy when you work night shifts. p
Beautiful pictures.

Quote:
Is that due to his belief that diving isn't a sport? That's happened to me in the past, I'm prepared.
Haha, no. It's more due to him being a ManU fan, you an Arsenal, and diving. I have seen that kind of kidding many times.

Quote:
The bulk of your message, I'm trying to think of a response but my mind is blank at the moment. Even if you say it's not necessary, unfortunately I'm an irrational bastard to the core and am sensitive to how people think about me. You responded well to me and I feel I'm not returning that, so I feel this stupid guilt and place negative thoughts into your mind.
For me, it's enough that you care. I love people with sensitive soul. You can keep me company here. Bentex is usually up too, but looks like he is away now.
post #8 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 02:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
I have insomnia. It is handy when you work night shifts. p
Well, of course I wouldn't appreciate insomnia, but I've embraced the quietness and calm of the night. Often I slowly stroll around in our backyard, casually kicking my football around, my thoughts drifting idly. In the past doing this would of scared me, but now my mind doesn't jump so frequently to the possibility that a scary man wearing a balaclava is waiting for me in the darkness. We live in a quiet area and have only encountered crime once in our lives, maybe that's why and a rare case of rational thinking of my behalf. I enjoy writing a lot and can stretch things out like this, even if at the beginning it wouldn't be an expected shift.

I don't work at the moment but who knows, maybe I'll take up work which involves the night shift. There's a bakery across the road, when I look out of the window and see the light on, and knowing that there's workers inside preparing for the coming day, it's a comfort for me.

Quote:
Beautiful pictures.
I'm glad, and not surprised! trekearth is one of my favourite sites, talented photographers who submit their work and from all around the world. Sometimes after sampling a particular gallery, that would be all the motivation I need to desire to travel to whatever country.

Photography is very important to me and one of my interests for sure. I'm not particularly good, still it's enjoyable. More than that, and why I say "important" is because it gave the area in which we live a new perspective, a new motivation to go out which is fantastic as I'm recovering from a social anxiety disorder.

Also, based on my experiences with contacts online, most don't know a great deal about Melbourne and the surrounding areas, so I'm keen to share the sights, my sights, with my international friends.

Quote:
For me, it's enough that you care. I love people with sensitive soul. You can keep me company here. Bentex is usually up too, but looks like he is away now.
It's comforting to be amongst a couple of nightowls. Often I say "it's so and so late hour where I am," and the response is usually one of freaking out. hehe

And about Bentex, I'm cautious about banter. Because like I said, I'm sensitive and I'm concerned that I'd step over the line and offend whoever. And even if I didn't, I'm paranoid and may read into a situation which in all actuality, doesn't exist. Needless stress, the usual, most of my problems are given to me by myself.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; June 12th, 2007 at 03:05.
post #9 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 03:22
International

Wow, you have a way with words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILA
Well, of course I wouldn't appreciate insomnia, but I've embraced the quietness and calm of the night. Often I slowly stroll around in our backyard, casually kicking my football around, my thoughts drifting idly.
I'm the same actually. When I was a kid I often stayed up all night and was thinking. What will happen to me when I die, will I just cease to exist? Absorb into nothingness? Obviously this is something every child goes through when they meet death the first time. I was so terrified that I always tried to keep my sister (the other, not the swimmer) awake with me.
Nowadays... my last line of thoughts was about why and where do my half pair of socks disappear? I think I've finally found a solution.

Quote:
In the past doing this would of scared me, but now my mind doesn't jump so frequently to the possibility that a scary man wearing a balaclava is waiting for me in the darkness.
I smell a story behind this.

Quote:
More than that, and why I say "important" is because it gave the area in which we live a new perspective, a new motivation to go out which is fantastic as I'm recovering from a social anxiety disorder.

Quote:
Also, based on my experiences with contacts online, most don't know a great deal about Melbourne and the surrounding areas, so I'm keen to share the sights, my sights, with my international friends.
Melbourne looks beautiful. One of my good friend's from there and always shares photos with me. I'd love to hear more about it.

I have to admit, you are really sweet in your insecurity. I never thought I'd see guy like you here. Don't worry about Bentex, he's not someone you can offend easily. And he is harmless too.
post #10 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 03:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
I'm the same actually. When I was a kid I often stayed up all night and was thinking. What will happen to me when I die, will I just cease to exist? Absorb into nothingness? Obviously this is something every child goes through when they meet death the first time. I was so terrified that I always tried to keep my sister (the other, not the swimmer) awake with me.
For me, when I was a child we lived in a different house from this one. It was quite large, especially I remember the ceilings being particularly tall. Despite that I say this, we only had one bedroom! My parents, my brother and myself, all in there together. I remember easily that the darkness scared me and I preferred the light to be on. Now that I type this, I wonder what problems this presented for the others...? Unsurprisingly this has changed completely and I must have the light off.

As for death, rarely do I fear it for myself. There was an occasion earlier in the year though, while watching a movie - not a particularly good one, mind, so once more my mind went on walkabouts. At this time, I was thinking about what I'd like to do for the future. These thoughts excited me a lot, but suddenly I realised that one day everything I've done, everything I'd thought, everything I knew, would be taken away from me.

Still, that was the exception to the rule and when I think of death, I think of it as an eternal sleep and by using that description, it doesn't sound that bad or scary to me. Mainly I just ponder on what I can make possible with my life.

What does scare me quite often is the thought that one day my family will die. Especially I worry about my mother as she's the centre of my life, with my brother [not so close to my father, alas]. I don't worry about him so much because obviously he's far younger. If my mother passed away I can't imagine how it would affect the dynamics of my life.

On the weekend my mother complained about stabbing pains to the chest. She didn't want to call for an ambulance because what if it was a false alarm? She didn't want to waste their time, that was foremost amongst her thoughts, seems. However I told her, "it's risky business to take a chance with your well-being, perhaps even your life. Better to be safe than sorry". Eventually she called and two men arrived from the service. It was frankly scary and for the most part I hid away from the scene, in the backyard. After some minutes I heard the unmistakeable sound of a stretcher being moved across the stone path in our front yard. She was taken away.

My father told me they suspected the problem was angina. I booted up the computer and read up about this condition and was set somewhat at ease; she had never complained of this before and if it's caught quickly, the problem can be nullified with aspirin. Afterwards I sat down with my father to watch Aussie Rules football, quite calm under the circumstances. It was comforting to know she was being taken care of, and of course the info I'd read up on prior.

Still it was a freaky few hours, you wake up and you think "this is just another day". A part of me couldn't believe what was happening, such a spanner being thrown into the works of our family! I read a book many years ago, the author passed along this observation: "people see tragedies occur to others, they comfort them, but deep down they never think something really bad will happen to them". A part of me was like that. I couldn't believe what was happening to her, and to us.

However she returned and was well. It wasn't angina, I think indigestion was the diagnosis?

Quote:
Nowadays... my last line of thoughts was about why and where do my half pair of socks disappear? I think I've finally found a solution.
haha, often I go to bed wearing my socks. And often, when I wake up, I discover that one of them has fallen off. I'm tired so I don't bother to look, get out of bed and reach into the dresser for a new sock. So it's not an uncommon sight for me to wear socks which don't match.

Quote:
I smell a story behind this.
Actually, I can't say there is.

I have a lot to say about the other part of your post which I haven't responded to yet. But I want to and I will, I just realized how long I've been writing this and in the back of my mind I fear that I'll lose you to sleep [that sounds dodgy given the recent line of discussion! But don't take it that way].

I'm way too bashful. You've been very kind and I appreciate it, I'm throwing this in in case you think I'm giving you the cold shoulder. Ridiculous yes, here I go again, I realize that I'm wrong but still I cannot stop myself.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; June 12th, 2007 at 03:52.
post #11 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 04:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Melbourne looks beautiful. One of my good friend's from there and always shares photos with me. I'd love to hear more about it.
These past two years, I've been to the city four or five times. Speaking personally, I'd sum up my experiences by saying that even though it's busy with lots of people, I can relax and feel safe. Lots to do and one of Australia's strongest "personalities" is the presence of migration, so to hear a diverse supply of languages in the flesh was unique and special to me.

I've mentioned my feelings about night time, still I would say my feelings differ while being out at night amongst so many people. The mere idea of it fills me with apprehension, so one of the boldest steps was for me to attend MIFF [Melbourne International Film Festival]. The film I'd elected to view was the Iranian "Offside". It's an expose into the ludicrous rule enforced by the Ayatollahs which prohibits females from attending football matches. The main characters were a bunch of girls attempting to gain entrance. Surprisingly it's presented as a comedy, a variety of comical scenes effectively highlighting how dumb this rule is [one example, the main girl stuck a poster of Ali Karimi's face over her own head hehe].

Anyway, while walking through the city streets, I didn't have any reason to fear my situation. Indeed I could appreciate the beauty of the city at night, while it's pleasant during the day it doesn't compare. Especially the St Pauls Cathedral was stunning, has your friend shown you that? If not, I took a photo of it [during the day, alas] and will dig around a bit to share it with you.

I wish to also mention my experience inside the theatre, aside from the movie. This theatre was grand and magnificent, the scope far usurping any theatre I'd been inside, prior. The ceiling stretched upwards and upwards. Soon after taking our seats the director himself, Jafar Panahi, stepped out onto the stage, in the flesh! I couldn't believe he was there, one of the most respected directors of Iranian cinema [which is blossoming in recent decades] standing in front of me.

He needed a translator but what he expressed to us was cool. In particular congratulating Australia's efforts at the World Cup. Aside from that he explained his motivations for making this film; his daughter was bugging him to take her to a football match.

Last Saturday a new Australian drama premiered [this is relevant, trust me!], Kick. It's set in Hope St., a working class street which makes up part of Brunswick, a part of Melbourne's suburbia. The majority of characters have backgrounds away from Australia, but what's refreshing is that they don't focus on this so much; in the past, the tendency would of been to concentrate on the culture clashes, the usual cliches. Instead it's just a coming together of people and their day to day lives... that's it. Of course, it's not where we're from which defines us as individuals. Also for me personally it was an exciting setting, I can't remember the last time I seen an Aussie drama set in or around Melbourne.

Incidentally my avatar is one of the main characters, Layla, a Lebanese girl.

There's surely more I can say but I hope this sheds sufficient light on aspects which define Melbourne [and indeed Australia].

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; June 12th, 2007 at 04:17.
post #12 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 04:11
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILA
I remember easily that the darkness scared me and I preferred the light to be on. Now that I type this, I wonder what problems this presented for the others...? Unsurprisingly this has changed completely and I must have the light off.
Hmm, aren't you my other personality by any chance? I had mortal fear of darkness, but I never told my parents, as I didn't want to make them worry, so the lamp was always switched off. I just hid under the blanket in fetal position breathing slowly. When graduating from grade school, my hairdresser made a pretty 'do that shouldn't have been ruined, so no blanket over the head - the scare in my eyes would have inspired Wes Craven. Incidentally this was the night that finally 'cured' me of my fear.

Quote:
What does scare me quite often is the thought that one day my family will die.
Me too. I don't really want to think about it, because I'm more surely than not will start crying. I love my little sister the most. Of course I couldn't imagine what would I do without my parents, but I'm the closest with Bogyó, I love her more than everything else. Losing her would kill me too.

Oh, I hope your mum is all well now.

Quote:
haha, often I go to bed wearing my socks. And often, when I wake up, I discover that one of them has fallen off. I'm tired so I don't bother to look, get out of bed and reach into the dresser for a new sock. So it's not an uncommon sight for me to wear socks which don't match.
Hehe, you might find there is more to it than just falling off! If you want I can share my theory. It involves an evil socks seductress, alternate dimension and the balance of the universe.

Quote:
Actually, I can't say there is.
Aww, I'm disappointed.

Quote:
I have a lot to say about the other part of your post which I haven't responded to yet. But I want to and I will, I just realized how long I've been writing this and in the back of my mind I fear that I'll lose you to sleep [that sounds dodgy given the recent line of discussion! But don't take it that way].
Don't worry about that, sleep is far away. I don't know if I should feel happy or frustrated about it. But reading your posts, I'd say I'm not frustrated right now.

Quote:
I'm way too bashful. You've been very kind and I appreciate it, I'm throwing this in in case you think I'm giving you the cold shoulder. Ridiculous yes, here I go again, I realize that I'm wrong but still I cannot stop myself.
post #13 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 04:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Look above your last post.

In the meantime, I'll see what I can come up with in response to your last post.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #14 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 04:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Hmm, aren't you my other personality by any chance? I had mortal fear of darkness, but I never told my parents, as I didn't want to make them worry, so the lamp was always switched off. I just hid under the blanket in fetal position breathing slowly. When graduating from grade school, my hairdresser made a pretty 'do that shouldn't have been ruined, so no blanket over the head - the scare in my eyes would have inspired Wes Craven. Incidentally this was the night that finally 'cured' me of my fear.
I can't bring up examples of such submissiveness during my childhood, but in recent years one of my strongest traits is, indeed, just that. Maybe someone suggests I read a book they like, it doesn't interest me personally but when I say this they express disappointment so I end up loaning it from the library.

Sometimes someone is bringing up a line of discussion which isn't in my field, I can't connect but I do my best to contribute as I fear what they'd think of me - would they be offended if I just gave "yeahs" and "uh-huhs"? While when I say something I'm interested in and they clearly don't have my interest, they understandably don't give much in return, which I readily accept because I want to avoid confrontation if at all possible.

This submissiveness which has taken over me in day to day life, it is not ideal but it's important as for there to be a calm and tranquil environment between me and others sets me at ease and makes me happy and content.

You mention Wes Craven, coincidentally I noticed Scream was being aired on Movie Extra [pay-tv channel which makes up part of the service we've subscribed to, Foxtel]. The scenes designed to scare do just that, that's one of my tendencies; while others will say "oh some guy chasing someone with a knife, I've seen it all before", it works effectively against me.

For some years I've embraced the Asian horror scene, they're far different than the fare you see coming from Hollywood; the effect they have on me, a small feeling of tension hovers throughout, slowly building, eventually leading to something truly disturbing. However they don't scare me nearly as much as a slasher flick.

Not to mean that as a detractor though, like I said I've embraced the radically different style and appreciate them for different reasons; the style, the mood...

Quote:
Me too. I don't really want to think about it, because I'm more surely than not will start crying. I love my little sister the most. Of course I couldn't imagine what would I do without my parents, but I'm the closest with Bogyó, I love her more than everything else. Losing her would kill me too.
I'll try and improve the mood by looking at the hour glass half full. The intensity of these feelings shows how much we appreciate the presence of those around us.

Quote:
Hehe, you might find there is more to it than just falling off! If you want I can share my theory. It involves an evil socks seductress, alternate dimension and the balance of the universe.
I... don't know what to say.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #15 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 04:38
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILA
These past two years, I've been to the city four or five times. Speaking personally, I'd sum up my experiences by saying that even though it's busy with lots of people, I can relax and feel safe. Lots to do and one of Australia's strongest "personalities" is the presence of migration, so to hear a diverse supply of languages in the flesh was unique and special to me.
Must be something like the Váci street in Budapest. One of my favourite passtimes (when I have time at all) is to walk down the street and mentally check which languages can I hear and recognize. Of course it's more like tourism and not migration.

Quote:
The film I'd elected to view was the Iranian "Offside". It's an expose into the ludicrous rule enforced by the Ayatollahs which prohibits females from attending football matches. The main characters were a bunch of girls attempting to gain entrance. Surprisingly it's presented as a comedy, a variety of comical scenes effectively highlighting how dumb this rule is [one example, the main girl stuck a poster of Ali Karimi's face over her own head hehe].
I've seen the movie, and I loved it. What I appreciated the most that Panahi handled the issue quite sensibly and (more importantly) subtly, not in-your-face. And you just have to love the characters in their colourful life philosophy, young naivety and limitless freedom.
Also, it must have been a great experience to meet Panahi.

Quote:
Especially the St Pauls Cathedral was stunning, has your friend shown you that? If not, I took a photo of it [during the day, alas] and will dig around a bit to share it with you.
No, she didn't. She mainly shows random signs (which I especially asked, I love all kind of signs) and the beach. So, If you would be so kind.

Quote:
Of course, it's not where we're from which defines us as individuals.
Very true.

Quote:
There's surely more I can say but I hope this sheds sufficient light on aspects which define Melbourne [and indeed Australia].
This was indeed educating, and I'm glad you told me.
post #16 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 04:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

And again

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #17 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 05:01
International

Submissiveness. I can relate.
I never had a problem with listening to people. I always pay attention to every conversation around me, even if I have no interest in it. But that rarely happens. What I have hard time is joining in. I usually feel uncomfortable, what if I say something stupid? Or boring? I must be a really boring discussion partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILA
You mention Wes Craven, coincidentally I noticed Scream was being aired on Movie Extra [pay-tv channel which makes up part of the service we've subscribed to, Foxtel]. The scenes designed to scare do just that, that's one of my tendencies; while others will say "oh some guy chasing someone with a knife, I've seen it all before", it works effectively against me.
I can't say 'me too' because I don't like horror movies myself. They don't have any effect on me. Now some well executed thrillers on the other hand...

Quote:
I... don't know what to say.
Don't say anything, just listen:
Let's look at an average pair of socks' life: you buy them, you put them on in a morning, you take them off in the evening (or in your case, you don't), put them in the laundry, then they are put into the wash-machine, dryer and back to the drawer. Then you put them on again, etc...it's the circle of life.
Until the faithful day comes. You just know that when you can't find that certain half-pair of socks, it's a thing for the past.

In my humble opinion there is a rather obvious and easy yet difficult solution to this mystery. Of course it isn't the official explanation, make no mistake, just a bit of a contemplation.
So, I believe there are really, and I mean really thin walls between the wash-machines and the drawers, which are the so-called dimension walls - separating the different dimensions from eachother. These are functioning as gates. In my theory the socks find these little gates/gaps and just slip through them.

Of course not all at once, no, that would be to conspicuous, they are slowly leaving our dimension one by one, sometimes in pairs, but that's a rare exception, for example that happened to my favourite coyote socks (r.i.p.).
Sometimes these socks can find the little pinches on different places - like with you ILA, you go to sleep with your socks on, and when you wake up there are only one on your feet. These will later turn up from behind the bed or under the radiator, but sometimes not.

The dimension where they go, is the Empire of the Lost Half-pair Socks, Pens, Cigarette-lighters and Keys.

How do they slip through the holes? Easily: when the socks get dirty, they accumulate a certain material, which indicates a sort of kinetic energy from the hyperspace to help the socks changing dimension.

It's not clear why the socks decide to go there. Of their own will? There is some force out there? Or there is an evil Sock Seductress? Do they want a better life, because let's face it, they are the lowest form of the underwear life, they are constantly tread upon, etc. ?
That remains unknown...for now. At least until we find out a machine that can speak the sock language.

Another observation: There are many leaky socks turning up after washing, way more than expected.
There are two obvious explanation:
- the poor souls wanted to get into the dimension, but were only half successful
- they didn't want to go through but the force, if it exists, almost made them. The holes are war-injuries.

What if some of those 'emigrated' turn up once? Well, there is a logical explanation: they get bored with life in the other dimension, or just aren't satisfied with the living conditions.

Many question to be answered, hopefully one day we'll be closer to the truth.
post #18 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 05:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Must be something like the Váci street in Budapest. One of my favourite passtimes (when I have time at all) is to walk down the street and mentally check which languages can I hear and recognize. Of course it's more like tourism and not migration.
I'm glad I can dig once more into my memories and share something to further add to these exchanges. I don't want this to end.

A few months ago I was sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office. Sitting across from me were two elderly women, exchanging lively and rapid dialogue. I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't be sure at all as to what language they were conversing in, I can only throw out a few uncertain guesses. Spanish?... Greek?... Hopeless, see? :embarass:

I feel embarrassed because for years now the majority of films I see are in a foreign languages. In my youth it was Hollywood this and Hollywood that. Gradually I lost interest in that scene, of course there's still some outstanding productions but by and large the concepts don't interest me, so I've set my sights elsewhere, especially Asia which I believe contains the highest standard of film in the world.

One other excellent Iranian film is "Baran", have you seen it? Well, if not, I'd give my highest recommendation! Beautiful acting, beautiful cinematography, just a wonderful production which left me thinking about it for days afterwards. Indeed they still linger at times, as is the case now. I've observed that there's some films with similar titles as this, so just in case I'll add that the director is Majid Majidi. I won't divulge details about the film out of fear of saying something too revealing.

Quote:
And you just have to love the characters in their colourful life philosophy, young naivety and limitless freedom.
Before I seen it, I'm quite sure I read an article which mentioned that the actors are non-professionals. I was pleased to read this as from my experiences, non-pros usually give very convincing performances! What springs to mind first is Marina Golbahari, who before being chosen to act in the Afghan film Osama [another extraordinary film, off the top of my head the most emotional in recent memory] was living in the streets of Kabul. But yes, and despite fearing that this wording has come into overuse, she gave a heart-wrenching performance.

Quote:
No, she didn't. She mainly shows random signs (which I especially asked, I love all kind of signs) and the beach. So, If you would be so kind.
Thankfully the photo in question was part of a larger grouping. Enjoy.

... and time for me to look upwards!

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #19 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 05:17
International

No name thread

Looks like we have two lines of discussion now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILA
A few months ago I was sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office. Sitting across from me were two elderly women, exchanging lively and rapid dialogue. I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't be sure at all as to what language they were conversing in, I can only throw out a few uncertain guesses. Spanish?... Greek?... Hopeless, see? :embarass:
Haha, too cute. I love languages, I love hearing foreign people talk. I've a nice collection of songs in almost every language. I think it's almost impossible to guess all the foreign language we hear, and if I say language one more time the redundancy police will take me away. But I'm proud that I can recognize many of them. I can even hear the difference between Swedish and Norwegian.

Quote:
I feel embarrassed because for years now the majority of films I see are in a foreign languages. In my youth it was Hollywood this and Hollywood that. Gradually I lost interest in that scene, of course there's still some outstanding productions but by and large the concepts don't interest me, so I've set my sights elsewhere, especially Asia which I believe contains the highest standard of film in the world.
When I was younger, we didn't really have a choice. It was Hungarian or Hollywood. The first movie I saw in theatre was Free Willy. (I just threw this there randomly. ) I have recently discovered the beautiful world of European cinema. It was a love at first sight.
I'm really behind in the Asian movie scene. Of course I know WKW and HHH's works. But that's about it.

Quote:
One other excellent Iranian film is "Baran"
I haven't seen it, so thanks for the recommendation.

Looks very nice. But I was more fascinated by the station and the railway. I have a thing for those.
post #20 of 1424 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2007, 05:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Submissiveness. I can relate.
I never had a problem with listening to people. I always pay attention to every conversation around me, even if I have no interest in it. But that rarely happens. What I have hard time is joining in. I usually feel uncomfortable, what if I say something stupid? Or boring? I must be a really boring discussion partner.
Some of these problems I can relate to, others not so much. The first part, well, while I try to contribute, sometimes my mind drifts to something else, and when my consciousness returns to the conversation, I may have to ask whoever to repeat themselves [my brother or mother pretty much]. I know this must be quite a tendency because sometimes my brother says something, and I knew it because he'd already said it! So it's difficult to accept that this lack of faith exists in this department, and I rarely ever say "yes, you said that, you don't have to repeat yourself," because that, or something along those lines comes across to me as too confrontational.

And yeah, on the latter part I can relate. Sometimes after saying something, even if I have some faith in it, *just in case* I lower my face and cover it with my hand, maybe adding a "or not.........?" Just in case, just in case I said something wrong. A security blanket which guards against my vulnerability in these moments.

Quote:
Don't say anything, just listen:
Well, I just thought of something, but I'm not sure at all about the relevancy of it.

A few weeks ago I lost my gloves. I searched everywhere for them: in the bed sheets, under the bed itself, the drawers beside my bed, the narrow cranny behind the drawers, at the foot of the bed, under the pile of books standing atop the drawer, under the cushions of the couches in the lounge area, the drawer on the desk in which this computer is perched, the seats which surround the kitchen table, the aforementioned couches in the lounge area, BEHIND THEM... and on and on and on.

I despaired some days for this. It was cold around then and when I'd go out I'd slip a pair of socks over my hands. They compensated for this loss quite well actually.

They did turn up soon enough, thankfully. Where were they? The drawer in the lobby - which was incidentally added not so long ago, the former owners renovated, you can tell because the door between this area and the kitchen is quite difficult and annoying to budge. Anyway, the gloves. The drawer in the lobby, the gloves could be found stuffed inside the pocket of some pants of mine.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in