RIP Ian Porterfield - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 21:55
Baron Dants

RIP Ian Porterfield

i don't know what to say. May he rest in peace..

What a warrior. Fought until the very end I'm sure, and still showed up to our National Team's games. His stay with us was tragically short, but it won't soon (or ever) be forgotten.

Thank you for everything you gave us Mr. Porterfield. You gave us pride, honour and dignity, and it was an honour for us to have you among our ranks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 21:59
Baron Dants

FA Cup hero Porterfield dies

Former Sunderland midfielder will be forever remembered for his FA Cup winning goal

Staff and agencies
Tuesday September 11, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

The man whose goal produced one of the greatest FA Cup final shocks has died at the age of 61.

Ian Porterfield, who fired Second Division Sunderland to victory over the mighty Leeds at Wembley Stadium in 1973, has died at a hospice in Surrey.

Porterfield was diagnosed with colon cancer earlier this year, but carried on with his duties as manager of Armenia's national team until just before his death.

Indeed, he took charge of his side for their superb 1-1 draw against Portugal in Yerevan on August 22 which left Luiz Felipe Scolari's superstars facing a fight to qualify for the European Championship finals in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

Porterfield's widow Glenda said: "He may have been a football man all his life, but I know him best as a wonderful human being who was liked by everyone he came in contact with.

"He had his wish to die in harness. Just over two weeks ago, we flew to Armenia for the Portugal game and I'll always remember what happened at the open training session at the stadium on the day before the game.

"The stadium was packed to see all the Portuguese stars like Ronaldo, Deco and the rest, but when Ian walked out, they all stood up and shouted his name. It was very moving."

Dunfermline-born Porterfield began his management career in December 1979 at Rotherham, where he guided the South Yorkshire club to the Division Three title, and had a successful spell at Sheffield United before replacing Sir Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen following his compatriot's departure for Manchester United in 1986.

He also took charge at Reading and, for 20 months until February 1991, Chelsea, before embarking upon his international odyssey.

Porterfield took charge of the Zambia, Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe, Oman and Trinidad and Tobago national teams, as well South Korean club side Busan I'Park, before accepting the Armenian FA's offer of employment.

Ferguson said: "His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football. It isn't long ago when he was coaching in Korea that I spoke with him with the intention of getting a few young players over to United.

"I played against him when he was with Raith Rovers. He was an exceptional footballer, blessed with a lot of natural talent."

It is as a player that Porterfield will be most fondly remembered on Wearside though. Along with goalkeeper Jimmy Montgomery's heroics and manager Bob Stokoe's run across the Wembley turf on the final whistle, his FA Cup final goal is one of the abiding memories of an afternoon which for 34 years has been a central component of Sunderland folklore.

That 31st-minute volley with his weaker right foot overturned seemingly insurmountable odds to secure a remarkable giant-killing act.

Midfielder Porterfield began his playing career at Raith before making a £45,000 move to Sunderland in December 1967. He made 266 appearances for the club and scored 19 goals before, after a loan spell at Reading, leaving for Sheffield Wednesday during the summer of 1977.

In the meantime, he had been left seriously injured by a car accident in which he suffered a fractured skull and a broken jaw in December 1974.

Porterfield made 130 appearances for Wednesday before hanging up his boots and climbing on to the coaching ladder.

His death robs football of one of its most travelled managers and Wearside of a genuine hero, but one whose exploits on that May afternoon in 1973 will never be forgotten.

BD: This thread will remain a sticky for the next 40 days
post #3 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:01
Baron Dants

I am glad that our boys were able to give him such a strong showing in what would be his last game ever. Bravo to the Armenian fans who shouted out his name when he arrived on the pitch (as mentioned in the article).

I hope they were able to take some of his pain away in his last moments.

post #4 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:03
Rising Star

Teams: French and Armenian NT,Asoav,fc Ararat,Pyunik
THanks for all Mr. Porterfield. You have provide pride and dignity for a

Ararat Yerevan will never die
post #5 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:03
Rising Star

Teams: Liverpool, Armenian NT, Ararat FC
WOW what a shocker. I knew he was sick but this is just shocking wow.

May He Rest in Peace and we Thank Him for everything he has done

R.I.P. Ian Porterfield

Forza Pyunik LA

PyunikLA Website
http://www.freewebs.com/pyunikla/
post #6 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:06
Star Player

Teams: Armenia, Germany ,Arsenal
Oh my... i cant belive this
what a great men
thank you for the all you have done for us
rest in peace
post #7 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:09
Premier Player

Teams: Armenia NT
the last couple of weeks have been so strange and weird and now i hear this news. i don't know what the hell is going on... RIP
post #8 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:10
Rising Star

SO SAD
RIP BARON PORTERFIELD
post #9 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:10
Premier Player

Teams: Armenian NT, AFC Ajax Amsterdam, Impact
OMG,

just today I watched this movie and there was a quote that stood out, someone said ''He died because he lost the fight againts cancer''

And right away, I pictured Ian laying in his hospital bed... I could so see the expression on his face.

A true Football Icon he was this man.

May God bless his soul.

R.I.P.

Everything is Possible...
post #10 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:10
Rising Star

Teams: French and Armenian NT,Asoav,fc Ararat,Pyunik
He has given pride and dignity to armenian football.We will never forget you Mr Porterfield.

Ararat Yerevan will never die
post #11 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:11
Rising Star

Teams: Armenia NT, FC. Pyunik, Canada NT
This is a shocker, my god.

May he rest in peace, a strong, courageous man.

Rest in peace Mr.Porterfield, you won't be forgotten.

"Life is a Game, Football is Life" Frank Xavier Rolon
post #12 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:14
I love you Vardan.M
Star Player

Teams: Olympique de Marseille, Armenian teams
RIP Poterfield.
Every armenians think at you today .. you dont deserve this die and we will not forget you.
You was the best

Go Armenia, GO MINASYAN

Olympique de Marseille in my heart for ever

"I've got an erection !!" @ Me after Slovakia-Armenia 0-4 And I enjoyed !
post #13 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:16
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal|Armenia
RIP to a legend,
Armenians will never forget you IAN...
This man will always be a true football hero...
post #14 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:17
Premier Player

Teams: Armenian NT, AFC Ajax Amsterdam, Impact
Hands down the best coach Armenian NT has ever had.

Everything is Possible...
post #15 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:19
Rising Star

R.I.P IAN PORTERFIELD (
post #16 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:20
Rising Star

Teams: Armenia NT, FC. Pyunik, Canada NT
Armenia coach Ian Porterfiled has died at age 61. Porterfield had been undergoing treatment for colon cancer, and he passed away on Tuesday evening.

Exotic postings

Armenia had been steadily improving under Porterfield's guidance and he was in the dugout last month when they achieved one of their most remarkable results, a 1-1 draw with Portugal in qualifying for UEFA EURO 2008™. The Armenia job was the latest in a long line of exotic postings for the Scottish manager, who will be best remembered in Britain for what he achieved as a player rather than as a coach.

Famous goal
Born in Dunfermline, he started his career with Scottish side Raith Rovers FC but moved south of the border to make his name in English football during a spell at Sunderland AFC. He became a hero there by scoring the winning goal against odds-on favourites Leeds United AFC in the 1973 FA Cup final to secure one of the biggest shock results of the age. Having finished his playing career at Sheffield Wednesday FC, he moved on to manage Rotherham United FC and then Sheffield United FC, helping them win two promotions before being dismissed in 1986. He then coached Aberdeen FC and Reading FC before spending two seasons as manager of Chelsea FC between 1991 and 1993.

Ill-starred return
That was to be his last English posting for a while as he stepped in to take charge of the Zambian national team shortly after an air crash had robbed the African nation of some of its finest players. After spells as coach of Saudi Arabia and Zimbabwe, he made an ill-starred return to England as assistant manager of Bolton Wanderers FC in 1996. Subsequent seasons saw him take charge of Oman, Trinidad & Tobago and Korean club side Busan I'Park before he being named Armenia manager in April 2006.

©uefa.com 1998-2007. All rights reserved.

"Life is a Game, Football is Life" Frank Xavier Rolon
post #17 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:24
Premier Player

I can't believe this... Rest In peace Mr. Porterfield, an Icon among Armenian football fans. We will never forget and never stop thanking you for your hard work.

"It's a long way to nowhere, and im leaving very soon"
post #18 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Sorry to hear that....RIP Ian Porterfield and my deepest sympathies too to his family

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #19 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:45
Premier Player

Teams: FC Racing Beirut,Lebanon,Armenia,Liverpool
very shocking ...i would never forget what his done to armenian NT ...Short but great memories & thanks for everything uve done ...
RIP

Back to normal...
post #20 of 157 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 22:45
Rising Star

Teams: Armenian NT, FC Lori Vanadzor, Feyenoord, RKC
Thank u Ian, thank u for all the great things u did for the Armenian football. U will never been forgotten! U are a hero for every Armenian! We will allways love you! 4ever in our hearts! U deserve a statue(Arcan) in Armenia. Thank u!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in