*Official* Sheffield Wed/Utd thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2003, 12:50
Wimps

*Official* Sheffield Wed/Utd thread

The mighty Sheffield has two mighty teams that are rising again. Get together lads!:fero:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2003, 22:24
Premier Player

i wouldnt say Sheffield United are on the up! they've won a few games recently but they are still in relegation trouble and are deep in debt

Sheffield United are a great team though, i hope they get promoted.
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2003, 05:54
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Sibon Moves To Heerenveen; Wednesday Target Kanchelskis
Latest News | News Archive

01/16/2003. Sheffield Wednesday have targeted Southampton's unhappy winger Andrie Kanchelskis after offloading Belgian striker Gerald Sibon to Dutch side Heerenveen.

The money saved on wages by Sibon's departure has also enabled Chris Turner's side to sign former Derby midfielder Darryl Powell from Birmingham.

The Saints former Manchester United and Rangers Russian international has recently hit out at Gordon Strachan's failure to give him a single first team start since arriving at the start of the season.

A spokesman for Sheffield Wednesday said: "It's just speculation. Chris (Turner) said he's interested in him (Kanchelskis), but I don't think anything's imminent at all. Chris has spoken to Gordon Strachan and he has okayed it, but we haven't managed to speak to either Andrei or his agent yet."

soccerage

================

Boro To Sign Eustace On Loan, As Windass Leaves
Latest News | Latest Transfer News | News Archive

01/16/2003. Middlesbrough are to sign Coventry's midfielder John Eustace on a month long loan deal, while veteran forward Dean Windass has signed for Sheffield United.

A statement on Coventry's website said: "If successful, Eustace will join Middlesbrough on Friday with the possibility of a permanent move."

Windass has joined the high-flying Blades for ?00,000.

soccerage

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

Last edited by Carson35; January 17th, 2003 at 05:57.

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2003, 06:55
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

sheffield united 4-3 ipswich...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=74250&cc=5901

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2003, 10:29
Star Player

I saw on MOTD that Micheal Brown scored another cracker.
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2003, 12:42
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Everton FC, Australia
And on his birthday too!
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2003, 22:15
Premier Player

It would be a wrench to see the Owls in Division Two, I really hope they stay up, Turner could become a very good manager for them if he's given a chance that other's haven't been given recently.

I despise the Blades though, I hate their fans and don't want to see them in the Premiership, I'd much rather Ipswich get promoted.
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2003, 22:17
Star Player

I don't like Neil Warnock, he encourages his players to play dirty.
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2003, 11:52
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Same here I remember last season utter disgrace all too well!

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2003, 03:41
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

February 3, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheffield United reject Juve offer
Sheffield United have reportedly rejected a £3m bid from Juventus for midfielder Michael Tongue. The youngster has been watched by the Italian giants over the last few months after some excellent displays.

channel4

post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2003, 20:00
Star Player

Norwich will play both teams from the Steel City over the next few weeks.
But both matches are away from Carrow Road.
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2003, 22:48
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Carson35
February 3, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheffield United reject Juve offer
Sheffield United have reportedly rejected a £3m bid from Juventus for midfielder Michael Tongue. The youngster has been watched by the Italian giants over the last few months after some excellent displays.

channel4
Tongue?!?
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2003, 06:43
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

FA Cup Fifth Round Preview: Sheffield United v Walsall
Sheffield United - Walsall | Latest News | Match Preview | News Archive

Pedro Matias is just one of a number of overseas stars at Walsall who will pose a threat against Sheffield United (ALLSPORT)
02/14/2003. Background
Sheffield United are currently enjoying one of their best seasons for years. Having reached the semi-final of the League Cup and sustained a promotion challenge thus far, the Blades are now one step away from the FA Cup quarter-final. Boss Neil Warnock, who was recently awarded Manager of the Month for January, though is looking for a boost with his side having lost three of their last four games.
"Despite what some people have said, this isn't going to be an easy game," he said. "Walsall are always going to make it tough. We know this is going to be difficult, but we've prepared for that."
After their terrific charge up the First Division and superb League Cup run, the wheels, whilst not falling off their bandwagon, have buckled slightly and all their hard work so far is in danger of being ruined. Warnock was not happy to see his side squander a two-goal lead against ten-man Ipswich last week and he has stated that it is now time for the fans to really get behind the side and spur them on to glory.
"The crowd can make all the difference," he explained. "That's what the home fans did at Ipswich last week and that's what gave them the impetus to claw themselves back into the game.
"It's important for the supporters to really get behind us."

Walsall can forget about their league struggle for 90 minutes and concentrate on booking a rare place in the last 16 of the world's greatest cup competition. Despite their lowly placing and relatively small support, the Saddlers are one of those sides that conjure up an idyllic vision due to the amount of overseas stars on their books.
With two Brazilians, a couple of Portuguese, a brace of Australians, a pair of Jamaicans, a Spaniard and a New Zealander, manager Colin Lee certainly possesses a very cosmopolitan squad and there were five more in the squad before the summer clear-out happened. But in today's football world where it is cheaper to look abroad than plunge for home-grown talent, Walsall have taken advantage of some serious bargains and they are more than holding their own in Division One and look set to prolong their stay even further.
Progression to the quarter-final would something the club would only have dreamt about before the season began, and with a whole host of Premiership sides already fallen by the wayside, Walsall have a great chance of going even further. But first Sheffield United, a side that the Saddlers don't have a recent good record against, but with nothing to lose, boss Lee is sure to have his troops fired up for the big occasion.

Current Form
Sheffield United (League only): WDWWLL: After a tremendous run that has seen the Blades mount the pressure on the division's top two, they have just gone off the boil in recent weeks, losing their last two league games, at Millwall (0-1) and Ipswich (2-3). They were 2-0 up against ten-man Ipswich, but proceeded to turn a probable victory into a defeat. In their two league games this season, United have taken four points off Walsall and so have the upper hand psychologically.

Walsall (League only) LDLDWL: Colin Lee's men have only two of their last 11 games – against Wimbledon (2-0) and Brighton (1-0) and are without a win away from home since beating Nottingham Forest 2-1 in the League Cup way back at the beginning of October – a run of 12 games. That said though, they are actually unbeaten on their travels in the year 2003 having drawn at Reading twice and Forest once.

Team News
Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock will be without influential striker Dean Windass who is cup-tied, so either Wayne Allison or Tommy Mooney will start in his place. On-loan defender Wayne Quinn should be fit despite limping off during the defeat at Ipswich.

Walsall have been boosted by the return of defenders Ian Roper and Danny Hay. Roper has recovered from a groin strain, while summer signing Hay returns after serving a one-match ban. Neil Emblen won't be available as he has returned to Norwich following the end of his loan spell.

Players To Watch
Sheffield United: Michael Brown: The former Manchester City midfielder has enjoyed a superb season in the centre of midfield for the Blades, so much so that he's constantly being linked to Premiership sides. Always quite a decent player at Maine Road, he has improved ten-fold since arriving at Bramall Lane and with him on board, promotion to the top-flight looks a distinct possibility.

Walsall: Junior: The Saddlers have a knack of unearthing foreign gems and this Brazilian striker is another one. Having initially joined on loan from Brazilian side Trezze, Junior is now a permanent member of the Bescot Stadium set-up and his strike partnership with Jorge Leitao is one of the most eye-catching outside the Premiership.

soccerage :fero:

post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2003, 06:52
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

FA Cup Report: Blades Underline Cup Pedigree
Sheffield United - Walsall | Latest News | Match Report | News Archive

Ndlovu headed the Blades' second (Allsport)
02/15/2003. Sheffield United confirmed their superb Cup pedigree this season with another composed victory, defeating fellow First Division side Walsall 2-0 at Bramall Lane, eventually with something to spare.

Neil Warnock's side always looked capable of winning this match, though until they fell behind Walsall posed threats of their own.

But the Blades showed the greater attacking quality, Michael Brown setting up Steve Kabba for a powerful, low right-foot drive from the edge of the area which James Walker tipped beyond his right-hand post.

But a timely challenge from Shaun Murphy was needed in the 12th minute to prevent Junior from testing Kenny after Corica and Leitao had combined to open up the home defence.

Brown then saw his superb drive blocked by team-mate Mooney before Phil Jagielka set up Peter Ndlovu, who turned his marker to create an opening but shot straight at Walker in the Saddlers' goal.

Walker was then relieved to see Brown's whipped-in 25-yard free-kick ripple the side-netting.

Just after the half-hour, Michael Tonge curled in a cross to the near post where Kabba headed into the side-netting.

But eight minutes from half-time, the Blades made the breakthrough, Kabba feeding Brown for a 16-yard curling shot which Walker could only turn into the path of Tommy Mooney, on-loan from Birmingham City, who tapped home for his first Blades goal.

Walsall were lively on the break in the second-half, but with Michael Brown in great form, the Blades looked the more likely to get the next goal. It duly arrived when Brown's pace and vision set up their second. He left defenders in a whirl with a run to the by-line, from where his right-wing cross was perfectly flighted for Peter Ndlovu to head home, doubling United's lead and effectively ending the contest, enabling the Blades to cruise to the final whistle.

They will prove to be a major obstacle for anyone to overcome in this year's competition – especially at Bramall Lane.

soccerage

post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2003, 09:40
International

Quote:
Originally posted by Alfy
i wouldnt say Sheffield United are on the up! they've won a few games recently but they are still in relegation trouble and are deep in debt

Sheffield United are a great team though, i hope they get promoted.
I believe you meant Sheffield Wednesday in that first paragraph. But I agree, from what I have seen this season, Sheffield Utd are definately becoming a very decent side again. I enjoy watching them, they have style and flare to there gameplay. They also have a few exciting players of Premiership quality. The Blades are a club I would like to see in the Premiership next season.
post #16 of 95 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2003, 11:03
Star Player

Micheal Tonge and Micheal Brown are top quality,
but I'm not sure about their strikers,
or their central defence.

Steve Kabba is decent forward.

I don't really rate Paul Peschisolido, Carl Asaba, or Wayne Allison though.
But saying that, have been super-subs for the Blades on occasions this season.

Dean Windass is a good division 1 striker,
and on loan Tommy Mooney was impressive for most of last season for Brum.

If Sheffield Utd do get promoted,
they would need to sign a few strikers and a couple of central defenders to have a chance of staying up IMO.
post #17 of 95 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2003, 11:27
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Yeah I'd agree with most of that.
The gulf of class between the 2 divisions is only apparent when a team gets promoted. If Sheff Utd do get promoted unless they sign a lot of good quality players, they will get hammered(sic) on numerous occasions.

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #18 of 95 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2003, 11:41
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Everton FC, Australia
The Blades, contrary to what some people think, are capable of playing good football. Brown and Tonge are talented matchwinners and the team with a few additional signings might be better than certain Premiership sides.

Although he has not featured this season due to injury, goalkeeper Simon Tracey is the sole survivor from their Premiership days and has been awarded a testimonial year as this is his 15th season at the club.
post #19 of 95 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2003, 04:59
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

final: crystal palace 0-0 sheffield wednesday...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=49503&cc=5901

final: norwich beat sheffield united 1-0...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=49510&cc=5901

post #20 of 95 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2003, 10:21
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
>> > > Actual post on Sheffield Wednesday website...
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > November 29 2002 at 2:02 PM Anonymous (no login) from IP address

>> > > 212.120.136.146
>> > >
>> > > This was actually posted on the Sheffield Wednesday Website.
>> > >
>> > > "I'm feeling all angry about these modern day footballers, I
>> > > know
>why
>> > > they
>> > > have
>> > > gone all soft - It's because of poncy names. That's what it is.
>> > >
>> > > Remember in the old days, when foot players kicked a f**king
>> > > ball
>made
>> > > out of ten pound of clay stitched inside a steel-reinforced
>> > > leather shell with laces made out of piano wire?
>> > >
>> > > Well, in them days players could only survive the rigours of the
>game
>> > > because
>> > > they were called things like Albert, Arthur, Bert, Harry, Bill,
>> > > Eddie, Bob, Jack and Tommy. F*cking tough names for tough men,
>> > > them
>> > was.
>> > > And what do we have now? Jason, Wayne, Dean, Ryan, Jamie,
Robbie.
>> > > F*cking tarts' names, they are. Great big f*cking puffs. No
>wonder
>> > the
>> > > ball's like a f*cking balloon and shin pads is like slices of
>> > > bread.
>> In
>> > > the old days you never saw a Len Shackleton or a Billy Wright
>> > > with
>a
>> > > puffy
>> > > little Sondico piece of paper down his little thin socks.
>> > > F*cking shinpads in them days was made out of library books, and

>> > > socks was
>> like
>> > > sackcloth.
>> > >
>> > > Same with the jerseys. F*cking shirts with holes in now so they
>> > > can breathe. Yes, so that little Jody's hairless chest can
>> > > breathe and he doesn't get a chill. F**k off. Stanley Matthews
>> > > used to dribble
>round
>> > > Europe's finest wearing a f*cking tent and shorts cobbled
>> > > together
>> from
>> > > the jacket of his de-mob suit. Aye,he f*cking did. No wonder
>players
>> > > fall over all the time whenever an opponent comes anywhere near
>them.
>> > > And they never used to show their arses at one another either.
>> > > Can
>> you
>> > > imagine what might have happened if Don Revie had flashed his
>> > > ring
>at
>> > Nat
>> > > Lofthouse during a City-Bolton Wanderers game? He'd have got one

>> > > of Them size 10 hobnail f*ckers up his b*stard chuff.
>> > >
>> > > F*cking therapy for stress my arse! Stan Collymore slaps his
>> > > missus about and he takes three seasons off with stress
>> > > counselling. What
>the
>> > > f*ck is that all about? In the old days it was expected for
>> footballers
>> > > to belt the old sow about a bit, specially after a bad defeat.
>> > > And
>the
>> > > women used to expect it, and so they should have. They was lucky

>> > > to
>be
>> > > married to footballers.
>> > >
>> > > Ha! Trevor Morley got a kitchen knife in his back off his wife
>> > > and
>was
>> > out
>> > > of
>> > > action for three month. Soft tw*t. Archie McShitt of Port Vale
>> > > got
>run
>> > > over
>> > > with
>> > > horse and cart one Friday night and he still turned out against
>> > Bradford
>> > > the
>> > > following day. And he scored two goals.
>> > > That's cos his name wasn't "Trevor". Good old Archie. Broke his
>hip,
>> > Both
>> > > his
>> > > legs, murdered his wife and buried her under the patio and still
>made
>> > the
>> > > England team for the Home Internationals. Did he have any
>> > > "stress counselling"? Did he b*llocks!
>> > >
>> > > And drugs? There was none of that in the old days. Oh, no. In
>> > > them
>> Days
>> > > it
>> > > was a quick shot of morphine before kick-off and you was lucky if
>You
>> > got
>> > > that. By half-time it had all but wore off so they pumped you>
>> > > full of laudanum. None of this cocaine sniffing and shooting up
>class
>A
>> > > narcotics.
>> > >
>> > > Goal celebrations? Don't talk to me about goal celebrations.
>Crawling
>> > > On the floor and thrusting their hips at the crowd. Huh! I'd
>> > > like to have seen Cliff Bastin do that after a run down the left

>> > > flank
>and
>> > > crossing for Alex James to fire home a winner. Handshakes...and
>that
>> > was
>> > > all
>> > > you got. That and a w*nk in the showers afterwards. But it was a
>> proper
>> > > w*nk...all man stuff. None of these puffy w*nks between blokes
>> > > that
>> you
>> > > get
>> > > nowadays with players like Greame Le Saux and Stephen Gerrard.
>> > Allegedly.
>> > > In
>> > > them days,there was nowt wrong with it cos it didn't mean nowt.
>They
>> > used
>> > > to
>> > > say there was a "gay atmosphere" in the dressing room after the
>match.
>> > > But
>> > > it
>> > > didn't mean owt mucky. Just a bit of harmless spanking the plank
>among
>> > > healthy
>> > > young sportsmen. Aye. I know. Me dad told me.
>> > >
>> > > Sixty grand a f*cking week! Ha! I wouldn't pay 'em tuppence. Two
>bob
>> > > Tommy Lawton used to get...a month! And Tom Finney still worked
>> > > as a plumber four days a week when he was playing for England.
>> > > It's
>true,
>> > > you know.F*cking is. Players had to work them days just to make
>> > > up
>> > their
>> > > money. Not like today. Stan Pearson had to clean sewers and
>> > > doubled
>up
>> > > as Old Trafford shithouse cleaner. He had to go off during one
>> > > game because some c**t had built a log cabin and blocked the
>> > > U-bend. And that Eddie Hapgood was a male model...though he
>> > > never liked to talk
>> > about
>> > > it.
>> > >
>> > > So I say we start calling kids real male names again. If you're
>having
>> > > a kid, don't even consider puffy names and sh*te names like what

>> > > people call their kids these days. Otherwise what we gonna get
>> > >

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in