Official QPR Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1209 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2002, 12:02 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Leeds United
Official QPR Thread

Ok, this might sound dumb but I'm going to try to start a thread on QPR. A great English team in the 2nd Division and I have seen a few people around that support em' or like watching them. Might kick off but let's see what happens. Anyone wanna join the convo?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Season Review 2001/2002 - November

The loss of Chris Day for the rest of the season was a massive blow to the side - particularly as the keeper had been in impressive form.

A few weeks before Day's injury, R's manager Ian Holloway had signed experienced stopper Fraser Digby for the rest of the season and it proved to be a crucial move.

Nobody had expected Digby to play for much of the season, but the injury to Day thrust him into the spotlight at Notts County at the start of November. During that week, Holloway had taken Chelsea's young England keeper Rhys Evans on loan for the rest of the season and many saw it as only as matter of time before Evans became first choice, but Digby had other ideas.

Digby was in inspired form at Notts County. Indeed, Evans later admitted in a Q & A on qpr.co.uk that it was the best performance he'd ever seen from a keeper. Digby laid the foundations for Rangers to come away with a 2-0 win - courtesy of Andy Thomson's double-strike.

A week later and Tranmere Rovers visited Loftus Road for what turned out to be a dramatic match. Jason Koumas gave the visitors the lead on 72 minutes and it looked as if Tranmere were heading for a victory, but Andy Thomson popped up to equalise in injury-time. However, Tranmere immediately broke upfield and Stuart Barlow fired home the winner to give his side a 2-1 victory.

What followed a week later was probably Rangers worst performance of the season. In front of the television cameras, a first-round FA Cup clash at Swansea ended in a 4-0 defeat. To make matters worse, Rangers also lost Chris Plummer to a broken ankle - an injury that would keep him out for the rest of the season.

However, from that low point the season could only get brighter - and it started a few days later with the return of Kevin Gallen to Loftus Road. The R's hero had left two seasons earlier and had spells with Huddersfield and Barnsley. His return to the club he loves had an immediate impact as he created three and scored the other in a 4-0 win over Swindon Town.

That win lifted Rangers just in time for the clash with west London neighbours Brentford at Griffin Park. It was a game surrounded by much hype leading in the days leading up to the clash, but it delivered little as both sides cancelled each other out, ending in a 0-0 draw.

"I'm assured that if the Fowler deal goes through, there will be no other players leaving..." Terry Venables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1209 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2002, 12:14
Star Player

Teams: Colchester United FC
What happend at to the 3-1 defeat you had at Layer Road cheers lads! You can watch Colchester walk over QPR here

Link: The U's Vs QPR
Attached Images

Barside Barmy Army!
post #3 of 1209 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2002, 17:36
Rod
Star Player

QPR - very sympathic team. I even once been to Loftus Road.
I like their looser-image... does anybody know their fan chant:
"2-1, 2-1, 2-1...
u just beat us 2-1.
While everyone scores 3,
u just beat us 2-1"
Thats brilliant IMO

post #4 of 1209 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2002, 22:24
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
I never really had feelings one way or another about QPR until some muppet from their supporters, in the season they were relegated to div 1, said "Oh god here we go playing the dogs like Barnsley and West Brom.

Hah revenge was sweet 2-0 at Loftus Road.

Disliked them ever since.

Contrasting the fact that I always liked going there!
Into the Moon pub on Shepherds Bush Green before and after the game, and having a blast. Nice club shame about the fans!
post #5 of 1209 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2002, 13:30
Rod
Star Player

I don't think u can judge all fans by one example.
From what i heard QPR has a very nice fanbase without hooligans which i think is really cool.
And that they give teams like Barnsley or your WBA stick... my god, that belongs to football IMO.
And i can tell you we Rovers fans also laugh about small clubs like Manchester Utd or Arsenal London...
post #6 of 1209 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2002, 19:47
Star Player

Me and my Colchester barside friends was singing to QPR

"Your staying down with us, You staying down with us, and now you gotta belive us and now you gotta belive us and now you gotta belive us, your staying down with us" That was funny because all the QPR fans was shocked that there "Play-Off dreams" ended at Colchester Utd! The only thing the QPR fans was singing was

"We are QPR We are QPR" and "Oooo Rrrrrrrrr QPR" but they was not singing for long....

Barside Barmy Army!

Last edited by Whizz; April 29th, 2002 at 19:49.
post #7 of 1209 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:20 Thread Starter
Star Player

Sorry I took so long to get back to this thread lad's. I didn't think I would get such a large response... QPR has like no hooligans, it's pretty claean. Except when Vinny Jones used to play for em'... I have never been there, or England for that matter. But I will when I come to Yorkshire...

"I'm assured that if the Fowler deal goes through, there will be no other players leaving..." Terry Venables
post #8 of 1209 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2002, 21:46
Star Player

I heard that Richard Langley got called up to the Jamaica squad

Barside Barmy Army!
post #9 of 1209 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2002, 11:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

I'm not 100% sure. I will find out

post #10 of 1209 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2002, 19:10
Star Player

Cheers leeds_utd_lad

Barside Barmy Army!
post #11 of 1209 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2002, 08:13
Star Player

Has this thread died? :depress:

Barside Barmy Army!
post #12 of 1209 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2002, 10:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

Yes it has Martin. But I'm going to bring it back to life and I'm sorry to take so long again! I want this to eventully become a forum, imagine a 2nd Div club having a a forum here. That would be great...

Ok then, down to business. Our top scorer has signed a new two year contract so that is some positive news, Andy Thomson. Stockport were interested in buying him, but we got smart and decided to keep him. QPR will need him if they are to issue a challenge to gain promotion to Division 1. There have been quite a few things going on with Transfers and all, too much to put into one thread. We need a forum.

Here are some Headlines...

1. Swansea City striker Mamady Sidibe is being given a trial at QPR.

2. Marc Bircham has left Millwall to join the club he has supported all his life - Queen's Park Rangers.

3. QPR's young left-back Danny Murphy has signed a new one-year contract.

4. QPR vs Celtic = 10 goal thriller (more later)

This season should be very interesting and I'm hoping to see the lad's go far. I will be back later to talk more, hope to see you all here...

post #13 of 1209 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2002, 11:00 Thread Starter
Star Player

CELTIC, QPR PLAY OUT TEN-GOAL THRILLER

CELTIC, QPR PLAY OUT TEN-GOAL THRILLER

If QPR's Division Two season is half as exciting as this pre-season friendly against Scottish champions Celtic, the Loftus Road fans are in for a real treat.

Many condemn friendly matches with their endless substitutions as a complete waste of time but despite the teams making 19 changes between them during the match there were no complaints from the 15,000 plus crowd who basked in the sunshine and saw 10 goals and some full bloodied tackling.

It was QPR who grabbed first blood after just nine minutes when Andy Thomson's clever backheel put in Kevin Gallen – who slotted in from six yards.

But classy Celtic were level within five minutes when a corner was cleared to the edge of the box and Colin Healy drove the ball into the bottom corner.

Celtic wingers Steve Guppy and Didier Agathe were causing havoc down the flanks and it looked only a matter of time before they were in front.

And the Scottish champions gained the advantage in the 26th minute when John Hartson got down the left to cross and Chris Sutton picked up the loose ball to curl superbly into the top corner.

On 33 minutes it was 3-1 as the strikers combined again.

This time Hartson was the beneficiary after playing a one-two with Sutton before slipping the ball past Nick Culkin and into the corner.

QPR changed all but two of their players at the break and it seemed to have the desired effect as they pulled a goal back within four minutes of the restart.

Karl Connolly crossed from the left and the unmarked Oliver Burgess, playing his first game since suffering a cruciate ligament injury last October, headed home.

However once again that merely spurred Celtic into retaliation as Bobby Petta won a free-kick just outside the box and Shaun Maloney thumped the ball in off the underside of the bar.

Back came QPR again when Lyndon Duncan's cross was tapped in by Mamady Sidibi to make it 4-3 with Jonathan Gould in the Celtic goal stranded.

But the Scots moved up a gear with the introduction of six more substitutes.

David Fernandez made it 5-3 with a simple tap-in after QPR's Danny Murphy had put a free-kick straight into the back of a Celtic player and a minute later Mohamed Sylla played a superb one-two with Fernandez to give him a simple tap-in to make it 6-3.

QPR kept battling to the end but the gulf in class between the sides, with Celtic's World Cup players still missing, was immense.

And with five minutes to go they made it 7-3 when Fernandez grabbed his second goal, heading home Sylla's inch-perfect right-wing cross.

post #14 of 1209 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2002, 01:55
paw
World Class Player

I thought this was old news. If I am not wrong, I have even seen the highlights of it.

paw
post #15 of 1209 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2002, 07:33 Thread Starter
Star Player

It is a bit old but it has not been shown here yet,

post #16 of 1209 (permalink) Old September 13th, 2002, 03:59 Thread Starter
Star Player

Ok then, our next game is against Swindon Town at home and it should be a cracker. We are on 11 points and they are on 7, if we lose then they come to within a point of us so it is a crucial game. (Not saying that every game isn't) Should be a good match...

post #17 of 1209 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2002, 18:06
Star Player

Who do you reckon are QPR's best players at the moment then?
post #18 of 1209 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2002, 06:35 Thread Starter
Star Player

Well the lad's pulled of a well deserved 3-1 win away to Bristol City at Ashton Gate! That takes us to the top of the league on goal difference. Two of the goals were from Karl Connolly! Great Stuff. Match Report

Next game in the league is against Cholchester. Shall be good, I'll be back then.

post #19 of 1209 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2002, 14:27
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
beat Colchester 2-0.

we're looking good at the moment. 1 point behind the leaders.
Hoping for promotion this year.

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #20 of 1209 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2002, 14:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

Yes, and I really think we can and deserve to do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in