Plight of Portsmouth - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2014, 22:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Plight of Portsmouth

Was looking at the tables of the English lower leagues during these midweek fixtures and I see Portsmouth, winners of the FA Cup and 'consistent' Premier League side only about 5 years are falling like a rock in the English Football League table

They are currently third from bottom in League 2, and only two points above the relegation zone at the moment. Relegation would take them completely out of the football leagues and into the Conference! All this in a time when their rivals Southampton are having a great season in the EPL as well.

Would be sad to see them go out of the football league but they have themselves to blame with the financial mess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2014, 22:59
Xtratime Legend

You'd think they would hang on and survive, surely... :undecide:

How quickly things change, 08/09 Saints getting relegated from Championship and Pompey playing Milan in EL and playing them well, amazing.

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2014, 23:15
10'un Adi Lefter
World Class Player

Teams: Fenerbahçe, Juventus, PSV, Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
That was a shot. However, when he hits those trivelas one of two things happen-

1-Joshua has an orgasm.

2-Queresma scoress, and Joshua has an orgasm.

This time he got a lucky assist, but you can still bet Joshua had an orgasm.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2014, 23:45
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
holy f...they're at the brink of dropping into the conference now? it seems just like yesterday when the won the FA Cup

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2014, 00:07
10'un Adi Lefter
World Class Player

Teams: Fenerbahçe, Juventus, PSV, Santos
Just six years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
That was a shot. However, when he hits those trivelas one of two things happen-

1-Joshua has an orgasm.

2-Queresma scoress, and Joshua has an orgasm.

This time he got a lucky assist, but you can still bet Joshua had an orgasm.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2014, 16:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Seems as though they have recovered since the opening of this thread. One more win and then they will be safe (3 matches left). The new manager who has come in March has turned things around
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2014, 22:42 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

they have cleared all their debt so they are moving towards the right direction. They are in the upper half of the League 2 table

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/po...ebts-1-6326146
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2014, 06:20
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
They will eventually get back to their rightful status as a championship club, they were only ever premier league due to irrational over spending.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2014, 13:09
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Yes, and they've payed the price. Funny how 'Arry Redknapp (the man who gave Utaka £80,000 per week) gets no flak from the media whatsoever about his role in their decline.

Must congratulate their fan owners on successfully clearing their debt though, 2 years ahead of their schedule for it.

Financial Fair Play should help prevent another Portsmouth scenario, especially with the rules now in place in the Football League.

Also I miss DavidSilk24 as a poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2014, 22:41
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Yes, and they've payed the price. Funny how 'Arry Redknapp (the man who gave Utaka £80,000 per week) gets no flak from the media whatsoever about his role in their decline.
Yeah, especially after the way Advocaat was lambasted for playing his part in the eventual liquidation of Rangers by over spending on players during his time there. Maybe 'Arry gets a free pass because he's English and the media likes him.

Great to hear that things are on the up for Pompey, hopefully they can slowly climb and find their way back in the Premier League someday. Would be worthy of a Hollywood movie if they manage to do it, showcasing the story from how they went up to down to back up.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2015, 11:37
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azulgrana View Post
Yeah, especially after the way Advocaat was lambasted for playing his part in the eventual liquidation of Rangers by over spending on players during his time there. Maybe 'Arry gets a free pass because he's English and the media likes him.

Great to hear that things are on the up for Pompey, hopefully they can slowly climb and find their way back in the Premier League someday. Would be worthy of a Hollywood movie if they manage to do it, showcasing the story from how they went up to down to back up.
There's already a story like this with Swansea who were very close to relegation from Football League only as recently as 2003 but came back from there under fan ownership, got promoted to EPL in 2011, won the League Cup season later and made it to Europe.

For some reason Hollywood hasn't come knocking though...

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2015, 11:39
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

although now I found out that there is in fact a British movie made about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_to..._Swansea_Story

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2015, 23:05
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Fair to say that the Championship is about the right level for Pompey. Pity for them they don't look like they'll be there any time soon. Currently 16th in League 2. Seeing Saints 4th in the Prem and Bournemouth 2nd in the Championship must rub salt in the wounds .
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2015, 05:43
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
although now I found out that there is in fact a British movie made about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_to..._Swansea_Story
Just watched the whole documentary on it and it was quite an amazing story indeed. Never knew things were as bad as they got there and it's hard to believe they achieved everything that they did less than a decade onwards. The beauty of it cannot be described enough in words.

For those who enjoy these kind of stories, here's the full version of it on Youtube. I recommend watching it if you have the time.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2015, 16:10
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
They will eventually get back to their rightful status as a championship club, they were only ever premier league due to irrational over spending.
Indeed, they did well back in the 30's, 40's and 50's, after that apart from I think 1 season in the 80's they were always second division and often lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2015, 22:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

top of League Two and still unbeaten, looking good for promotion after a couple of nearly half a decade of horrible seasons
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2017, 20:42 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Congrats to Portsmouth who earned promotion to League One today; also some rumors of new ownership from the US
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2017, 19:25 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Portsmouth started the day in third place but managed to win the League 2 title after couple results went their way
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2017, 10:07
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
It's taken a few years but they're back on the up, will be interesting to see how they fare in league one next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in