2013/14 Championship Promotion and Playoff Chase - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Which 3 Teams will Promote to the Premier League?
Leicester City 5 83.33%
Queens Park Rangers 3 50.00%
Burnley 1 16.67%
Derby County 0 0%
Nottingham Forest 3 50.00%
Reading 2 33.33%
Brighton & Hove Albion 2 33.33%
Blackburn Rovers 0 0%
Middlesbrough 0 0%
Wigan Athletic 0 0%
Leeds United 0 0%
Ipswich Town 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2014, 19:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
2013/14 Championship Promotion and Playoff Chase

There are 20 more matches to go in the Championship season and as usual the race for the two automatic promotion spots and the four playoff spots should be exciting right until the last kick of the season.

The heavy promotion favorites in the start of the season, QPR, have struggling to score goals but defensively have been spectacular which means they are still getting good results despite the offensive struggles. At the moment though the in form team is Leicester City who are running away with the league and should promote unless they completely fall apart.

The playoff race will be much tighter and the surprise team is certainly Burnley who have only lost 3 of 26 matches but the many draws they have is hurting their automatic promotion chances. Two clubs have fired up the table thanks to coaching changes, the most notable is Steve McClaren's Derby who should be able to get at least in the playoffs. The other side is Middlesbrough, currently outside the top 6 but who have been in fire since the arrival of Karanka, Mou's assistant manager at Real Madrid.

The other playoff contenders are the usual suspects: Nottingham Forest, Reading, Blackburn Rovers. Also including are two teams who maybe haven't been as good as touted: Leeds United and Wigan Athletic. McCarthy is doing a good job at Ipswich and has them in the playoff hunt

Here is the table as of January 18

1. Leicester City 57
2. Queens Park Rangers 52
----------------------------------------
3. Burnley 51
4. Derby County 47
5. Nottingham Forest 44
6. Reading 41
-----------------------------------------
7. Brighton 39
8. Blackburn Rovers 37
9. Middlesbrough 36
10. Ipswich Town 36
11. Wigan Athletic 36
12. Leeds United 35
13. Huddersfield 34
14. Blackpool 32
15. Watford 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2014, 22:15
0-1, Huth.
International

Last week was a milestone for us as we secured our safety with 54 points.

If Carlsberg did forum signatures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:
Nottingham Forest 2-5 Yeovil Town

May 2007
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2014, 22:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Leicester are really starting to separate themselves from the rest of the pack, eight straight wins see them 8 points above QPR and 11 points above third place Burnley (albeit both QPR and Burnley have a game in hand)

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2014, 02:10
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
Leicester seems certain of EPL next season; hopefully we would be able to make a good challenge for the 2nd position.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2014, 16:35
Seasiders
Rising Star

Teams: blackpool
Leicester will win the league easy as they're he best team!
Sadly, QPR probably look to have bought the 2nd automatic ticket to the premieshit with the signings they have just made in January.
Nottm Forest too look good and should defo win the play-offs.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2014, 21:57 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Looks like 2nd place is now a four-horse race (Burnley, QPR, Derby and Forest). Burnley are currently second but QPR have a game in hand on all three.

There is a gap between 5th (Forest) and 6th (Reading) developing, but the fight for the final playoff position I would say involves 7-8 teams.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2014, 17:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Three straight losses for QPR and four without a win, plus Redknapp didn't even include some of the "high profile" players in their squad today They simply cannot score, its not all doom and gloom though because they have a game in hand but 2nd place is starting to slip away.

Burnley and Derby the inform teams and at the moment the clear contenders for 2nd place. They play next week in Burnley.

In terms of 6th; Wigan improving under Uwe Rosler and to me are very much on pace to get into the playoffs.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2014, 16:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Leicester 8 points clear of Burnley and 13 points clear of automatic promotion, looking good for them.

Burnley beat Derby 2:0 at home for control of 2nd place. Burnley now have 5 point edge on Derby and their form has been consistent.

QPR continue to struggle, held to a draw at home to Leeds and top two is looking unlikely. Redknapp complaining about injuries after the game, he should be cruising in the division with the squad and money they have alm:

Wigan's rise under Rosler continues as they get an impressive victory against Nottingham Forest and are back into the playoff positions with a game in hand as well. Top two finish for Forest looks unlikely now. Reading the big losers of today, held to a draw at home by Yeovil.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2014, 18:26
0-1, Huth.
International

I'm now confident we'll be playing Premiership football next season. Even with our tendency to bottle it, we look rock solid when we play and I think its just a matter of time until we are up.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:

May 2007
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2014, 09:38
Xtratime Legend

Burnley coming out of nowhere to hold down 2nd strongly atm, their squad is nothing special.

That Bamford kid at Derby looks talented btw.

Œuvres complčtes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2014, 13:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
That Bamford kid at Derby looks talented btw.
On loan from Chelsea and he tore League 1 with MK Dons. Unfortunately for him its unlikely he will ever be a key player for Chelsea
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2014, 22:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Burnley looking real good for automatic promotion, even with QPRs game in hand they have at least a 7 point edge on third place (should QPR win this game in hand). Though Burnley conceded an injury time goal which would have put them at least 9 points clear.

With Forest hitting some poor form in the last few weeks there are now two playoff places up for grabs. Wigan and Brighton have games in hand so they are in decent position at the moment
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2014, 17:43
0-1, Huth.
International

Wigan are looking good. I think they will displace either Forest or Reading.

Quote:

May 2007
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2014, 23:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

QPR lost their game in hand, 3:0 away defeat at Sheffield Wednesday playing most of the match with 10 men, their automatic promotion hopes took a big hit, currently 10 points behind Burnley

Even Wigan failed to take advantage of one of their games in hand (they have one more), crazy 3:3 draw with Yeovil but they are still in good position to make the playoffs but they too have little chance at automatic promotion.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2014, 22:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Forest sacked Davies over the weekend after their loss to Derby, Warnock turns them down and today they lose at home to Charlton, playoffs looking unlikely with the way they are going even though they are only two points behind Reading.

Leicester surprisingly drop points at home to struggling Yeovil but they are still in good shape to win the league. Don't see anybody catching up to Burnley, they will return to the Premier League

Queens Park Rangers have righted the ship a bit, but still struggling to score goals. They should be able to finish 3rd place though, probably not enough games to catch Burnley who are 10 points ahead.

Seems nobody wants 6th place, the form of Forest and Reading have been poor but nobody behind them is taking advantage either. Brighton have a game in hand which could be crucial
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2014, 17:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Leicester beat Burnley putting them in a very good position to win the league. Despite the loss Burnley still have 9 point lead over QPR who drew at home to Blackpool
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2014, 02:09
0-1, Huth.
International

I love our approach to games - very aggressive and methodical at times. Every man knows his job.

19 games unbeaten (15 wins & 4 draws). We just need 7 more points to confirm promotion - starting with Wigan away on Tuesday.

We are back in the big time.

Quote:

May 2007
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2014, 16:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

LEICESTER CITY PROMOTE TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE (with 6 games to spare)

Burnley draw but neither QPR or Derby capitalize as they both lose alm:

Big winners today are Wigan and Reading who are close to cementing playoff spots.

All in all a pretty disappointing end to the season, big gaps forming between 2-3 and 6-7.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2014, 21:42 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Burnley are one step closer to the Premier League, with 5 games to go they have 11 point lead over Derby

QPR lost again, they are in danger of falling to 5th but they will make the playoffs regardless. Wigan lost at home to Millwall and they fail to move up

Reading holding on to 6th but teams like Brighton, Ipswich, Bournemouth, Blackburn and Watford (who have game in hand) closed the gap. Nottingham Forest is in the picture as well but their form is still dire. Should be interesting, none of these teams are consistent enough but Watford is making an interesting late surge
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2014, 09:54
Xtratime Legend

Bournemouth making it would be epic.

Œuvres complčtes de Fikret Smiljanić

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in