Championship Player of the Season - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2007, 22:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Preston North End & Stade Rennais
Championship Player of the Season

Nominations in here- I'll make a poll in the future, so just add players to the list if you really think they've been outstanding for you or another team this year, and give reasons if you want to persuade others in the voting later!

For myself, I obviously have to start with David Nugent. He's been known as the best striker outside as the Premiership, called up to the full England squad, and scored a good deal of goals for PNE and the England U21s, as well as providing them for a plethora of partners (Agyemang, Ormerod and Dichio all have at least 5 for the season and Ricktts and Mellor have started to hit the net too!). The hype is deserved- Nugent is a class act.

I have no sig. If anybody would like to make me one, please inform me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2007, 00:04
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Ipswich, Parma
I think it's really hard to single out one person with the league being so close at the top.... safe to say, NO-ONE from ipswich should be anywhere near the nominations... Legwinski has been immense sometimes and would probably get into most of the team's midfields in the league... but no tractor-boy deserves it!!

.... I would say Mcsheffery has impressed me on TV, but against Ipswich he has been woeful so personally i can't say i'd vote him. On what i've seen at Portman Road, i think the most dangerous looking players were Kamara and Phillips of Birmingham. But if i go by how teams played against us then it's unfair as the only team to out-play us at home this season has been West Brom...

Not one team has an outstanding defensive record in the league so choosing a defender or goalie would be hard... and so many midfileders ARGH.... i'll be interested to see what other players come up in this list???
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2007, 10:50
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Steve Howard

He's just been awesome, 17 goals this season so far playing as a loan striker for the majority of the time. He leads the line better than anyone I've ever a seen and wins so many headers, it's just a shame we hardly ever have anyone getting on the end of his flick ons.

But that's only half the story, I was told as a young boy as a team you start defending from the front (your strikers) and we certainly do with Howard up there, he will chase down everything and not worried about flying in with the tackles either, and when defending corners it's like having a 3rd centre back in the box (indeed that's the position he started his career at) and in the last few minutes if we're hanging on, he'll happily come back and play as an extra defender, leaving someone like Barnes to use his pace up the top.

Players from other clubs in with a shout, Kamara (West Brom) McSheffrey (Birmingham) Nugent (Preston) Chopra (Cardiff)

That's mostly from seeing them on the telly, the only one who's really impressed me when playing against Derby is Chopra, he was first class in both games, and we were lucky he had to go off on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2007, 15:17 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Preston North End & Stade Rennais
They did seem like the 5 who jumped out at me at the start- possibly with the additions of Bale and Huckerby.

I'm not sure whether to count loanees- Muamba, Bendtner and Hendrie could be in with a shout too...

I have no sig. If anybody would like to make me one, please inform me
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2007, 17:49
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Dont forget to include in your poll the Welsh Wizard, Jason Koumas
What should I add about The Championship Player of the year ...he became first team regular again since Tony Mowbray joined, best creative midfielder in the league IMO, has scored 7 goals so far and was chosen man of the match many times this season and he's clearly best WBA player along with Diomansy Kamara.
As you know he's also a key component in Welsh squad since his brace in november against Lichtenstein.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2007, 22:38
0-1, Huth.
International

For us its between our two centre backs, Kisnorbo & McAuley. Both have been excellent in their own way. Gareth McAuely has stepped up two divisions from Lincoln City to play in the Championship and the way he has settled and produced performance after performance in his first season is just marvellous. Patrick Kisnorbo has not only been holding our defence together, but he's also saved our arses time after time with his goals. A special mention to Ian Hume, he's been holding the whole weight of Leicester City on his shoulder. And with his commitment, passion and loyalty, he's definetly one to hold on to.

Quite frankly, when only those 3 have won Player of the month at Leicester this season says a lot. McAuley is leading the lot with 4 Player of the Month awards.

But having said, I still dont think either of them deserves it more than Jason Koumas, Steve Howard or David Nugent. Preferrable, Steve Howard who's been leading Derby's front line incredibly well.

If Carlsberg did forum signatures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:
Nottingham Forest 2-5 Yeovil Town

May 2007
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2007, 22:46
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Ipswich, Parma
Not Huckerby!!! Not only is he a scummer!!... but he was woeful first half of the season. He's only been playing well the last month.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:19
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro
Not Huckerby!!! Not only is he a scummer!!... but he was woeful first half of the season. He's only been playing well the last month.
Very True, if he had played like he has this last month all season Norwich might have had a good season. Free Kick Bale doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the list...

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:00
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Steve Howard
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2007, 23:25
Rising Star

Teams: Plymouth Argyle, Feyenoord, England NT
Jamie Cureton or Chris Iwelumo. Newbies to this league and have proved how powerful they are against big teams.

p p p p p p p p
p p p p p p p p
p p p p p p p p
p p p p p p p p
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2007, 11:18
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah forgot about them too, though I'm sure they've both played at this level before, they've had brilliant seasons though.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in