League to consider shoot-outs - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 11:29 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
League too scrap draws

Football League chairmen and chief executives are set to discuss the idea at a board meeting on Thursday.

The League's chairman Lord Brian Mawhinney will unveil his proposal at the meeting which could be trialed in the Championship and Leagues One and Two as early as next season.

Teams would get a point for a draw as normal but the winner of the penalty shoot-out would get an extra point.

However, the proposal - which would initially not include Premiership clubs - has been labelled a "lottery".

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said: "I saw this in my first year managing in Japan - it did not have spectacular results.

"In extra-time they played a sudden death goal and if no-one scored they had penalties.

"The draw is part of the culture of the game and I would not like that to disappear."

Sky Sports football pundit Tony Gale said he was totally opposed to the idea and hinted that teams could deliberately play out for a draw rather than going for a win.

"Getting an extra point for tucking penalties away? I don't think so," said Gale. "What would be next? A crossbar challenge where players have to hit it from the halfway line?

"In fact, rather than make games more exciting, I think some teams would deliberately play out for a draw in the hope they could nick something extra from the penalty phase of the game.

"If a poor team forced a draw against a big club by defending, then they would get rewarded for it in the shootout. I could never agree with that.

"No one wants a lottery in football - leave it alone."

The shoot-out idea was put forward in a recent Football League Fans' Survey.

There are two proposals due for discussion - a traditional penalty shoot-out or an option where a player would have up to eight seconds to score after receiving the ball on the half-way line.

The shoot-out experient was initially used in the 1970s in the United States in an effort to produce positive results, but should it gain the support of league chairmen it would become the biggest rule change since the introduction of three-points for a win.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What have they been smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 11:50
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
what the hell that's dumb

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 11:55
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
That's just stupid!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 12:25
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
Eh, and I thought Blatter has stupid ideas.

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 13:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
this is the beginning of the American influence into English football...doom I say, doom...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 13:13 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
this is the beginning of the American influence into English football...doom I say, doom...
Well, you have to hope that somebody sees sense, and realises this is the stupidest idea ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 15:02
Star Player

Teams: England B
i'm shocked that stupid old tory bastard is still alive let alone being one of the top dogs in the football league :frustrat:

Champions of England - 1948/49 & 1949/50

Ernie Butler
Bill Hindmarsh------------------Harry Ferrier
Jimmy Scoular-------------------Reg Flewin (c)---------------Jimmy Dickinson
Ike Clarke---------------------Len Phillips
Peter Harris---------------------Duggie Reid------------------Jack Froggatt
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 17:00
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
it's worse than stupid.

anyway, with our 'brilliant' record in spot kicks, i am not exactly looking forward to it.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 17:03
Deo
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool Football Club
League to consider shoot-outs

Football League clubs have agreed to consider a revolutionary proposal for penalty shoot-outs to decide all drawn matches.

A meeting of the 72 league chairmen agreed to a working party being set up to consider the proposal in an effort to make the game more entertaining.

The proposal was put forward by Football League chairman Lord Brian Mawhinney and would see all drawn matches outside the Premiership go to a shoot-out, possibly as soon as next season.

But the move has come under fire from a host of managers, including Arsene Wenger, who feel draws are a part of the culture of the English game.

"I suggested that for drawn matches each team gets a point and then maybe the team that wins a penalty shoot-out gets an extra point," explained Mawhinney.

"Managers may hate shoot-outs but fans love them. The chairmen decided to use this proposal to have a broader look at a range of ideas that might refresh our product.

"Some people were strongly against it, some people were in favour of it but on both sides people said 'let's be constructive and have a broad examination of what we have on offer'."

The league's working party will consider other ideas from clubs and fans in an effort to bring more entertainment into the game.

"We cannot afford to be complacent - people are always talking to me about how we can get more goals and more excitement in football," he added.

"I understand that it is not instinctively where clubs would go but if you don't change in a changing world then you can fall behind."

Mawhinney also said he was hopeful the end of season play-offs would be staged at the new Wembley Stadium.

"It's outside of our control but I'm more hopeful than I was some weeks ago," he added.

"If the ramp-up events go well and they get the safety certificate then we should be able to have the play-offs at Wembley."
------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about this? Should the premiership also be this way?
Simple, people who are for this think that the league should trial this, it should be tested a bit and than be considered seriously...

Last edited by Deo; March 15th, 2007 at 17:08.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 17:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
No its a silly idea in my book.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 17:18
Tim
Xtratime Legend

I hate the idea. It's not going to make teams play harder for a win. In fact, I think more teams might be willing to settle for a draw so they can then try their luck in the shootout.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 17:26
Legend

Teams: Arsenal
Stupid idea

Hello
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 17:32
International

A team struggling will defend for the point and have pot luck at the penalty shoot out.

The theory is it will help England in penalty shoot outs, the only problem is no England players play in the Championship.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 17:34
Star Player

Teams: Preston North End & Stade Rennais
Sod off.

That has no merit at all- it would make a draw look more promising than risking it for a win (than it is now anyway), and that is detrimental to football.

I have no sig. If anybody would like to make me one, please inform me
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 18:53
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Ipswich, Parma
It's absolutely ridiculous!! I can't see one good thing about it!? You'll just get shitty teams going to top teams, packing the defense and playing for a 0-0 and winning on a shoot-out... yeah that's entertainment....
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 18:58
Star Player

Its a funny and good idea. They dont need to decide games on it but have a seperate league for shootout competitions between teams, with a little prize for winning teams at the end of season.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 19:35
Star Player

not surprised Mahwinney is behind this and cant believe the 'idea' has got to this stage. to get on the board of the FA or Football League is it compulsory that you have had to be an abject failure in life?

Ernie Butler
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 19:41
Legend

What the fcuk does he know about football? Who the hell is running this show?

Hello
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 19:50
Star Player

knew he helped bungle this country's transport system even more in the 90s, wasnt too sure (but not surprised) about his other views

from his TheyWorkForYou profile

# Very strongly for the Iraq war
# Very strongly against the fox hunting ban
# Very strongly against equal gay rights

:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:

Ernie Butler
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2007, 19:54
Legend

The problem with the view on Iraq is that Parliament were misled by the Government - the lies or exaggerations if you want to be kinder, gave the war a credible logic. Amazing the Government has got away with it but that's britain...

Hello

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in