FA CUP - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2007, 16:06 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
FA CUP

OK...yuo're clear favourites for this..but c'mon its the f.a cup,the most magical of them all......Wise took millwall to the final with arguably a similar team to ours..

weve singed a good couple of players.flo,sa and got heath for longer now..alos we havent lost kilgallon or healy yet and the team finally seems to be coming together with a couple of better performances..

but dont let me paper over the cracks...we're languishing near the bottom of the table playing promotion favourites who are doing good but could be doing better..were playing in your back yard where youve played solid in my eyes...

prediction..from my heat or my head is the question

Heart - Leeds get a deserved 2-1 win

Head - Wba 3-1 and throughly control after some more comedy defending by Leeds...at bst a 1-1 draw

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 15:22
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
I think Mowbray will not start with the best formation in this one. Ellington, Hartson, Quashie and Gera are likely to leave before the transfer deadline, if they dont become cup tied their value will be higher imo.
Albrechtsen is out also as he didnt overcome a groin problem yet. Quashie is serving a one match ban.

Possible formation

.......................HOULT

..MC'SHANE..DAVIES..CLEMENT..ROBINSON

..CHAPLOW..KOUMAS..CARTER..GREENING

...............PHILIPS..KAMARA

Subs: Zuberbuhler, Hodgkiss, Koren, Watson and Hartson ?!

Im hoping for a 2:0 win still
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2007, 15:00
Legend

West Bromwich Albion 3 Leeds United 1

Paul McShane's first goal for West Bromwich Albion helped steer them into the fourth round of the FA Cup as they defeated struggling Championship rivals Leeds United 3-1 at the Hawthorns.

Goals from central defender McShane and striker John Hartson in the opening 15 minutes set up Albion to see off the challenge of Leeds, who now only have a Championship survival fight to look forward to for the rest of the season.

Striker Kevin Phillips set the seal on the win eight minutes from time when he converted a Jason Koumas cross for his ninth goal of the season.

All Leeds had to show for their efforts was an injury time own goal from Albion left-back Paul Robinson.

The victory continued Albion's impressive run of form at the Hawthorns where they have won 12 of their 16 league and cup games this season.

McShane, who joined Albion from Manchester United in August, set them on their way in the sixth minute before Hartson took his tally for the campaign to six.

Leeds paid the price for a woeful first-half display – summed up by the fact that manager Dennis Wise used all three of his substitutes at half-time. He hauled off Matt Heath, Ian Moore and Jonathan Howson sending on debutants Tore-Andre Flo and Armando Sa and Shaun Derry.

Promisingly for Leeds, the front line pairing of former Chelsea marksman Flo and David Healy did look like one that could be effective in their battle to avoid relegation.

Flo was particularly impressive without getting the reward that his play deserved - seeing his point blank drive saved by Russell Hoult in the 81st minute as Leeds produced a much improved second-half display.

But the damage had been done by then as Leeds crashed to their second defeat of the season at the Hawthorns having lost 4-2 in the league in September.

Leeds can take solace from the fact they did not buckle completely and only some smart play by Hoult denied them a route back into the game.

But Albion, who also hit the bar through Diomansy Kamara in the 68th minute, proved too quick for Leeds in the opening exchanges.

The writing was on the wall for them when Robbie Elliott cleared Koumas' shot off the line. It proved a brief escape as, from the resulting corner, Neil Clement's cross was converted by McShane with a low drive.

Leeds were still reeling from that setback when Hartson struck. A long clearance from Hoult flew to Hartson who powered his way past Heath before drilling his low shot through goalkeeper Neil Sullivan.

To their credit, Leeds rallied and would have got a foothold in the match but for Hoult. The veteran 'keeper saved a free-kick from Eddie Lewis and a shot from Robbie Blake before Sullivan prevented Hartson grabbing his second with a smart one handed stop.

But it was Hoult who was the busier 'keeper. In the 34th minute he beat away Blake's rising drive before spectacularly tipping a volley from Kevin Nicholls round the post 60 seconds later

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2007, 19:53
Legend

Albion visit either Boro or Robins in Cup

The Baggies reward for demolishing Wolves at the weekend is a trip to either Bristol City or Middlesbrough in the FA Cup 5th Round, the game will be played on the 17th February.

The Baggies demolished their Black Country rivals 3-0 at Molineux in their 4th round tie and now face either Boro or City in the 5th Round of the FA Cup.

Due to the game taking place on the 17th February the Baggies game at Colchester has been postponed and a new date for this fixture has yet to be announced.

If Middlesbrough overcome Bristol City in the replay at the Riverside Albion boss Tony Mowbray could face an emotional return to the club where he made his name and is still regarded as a legend on Teesside.

The Albion boss was captain of Middlesbrough through some of the darkest moments in their history and become a legend for the part he played in their survival; it would be a fantastic tie for Mowbray’s men to test themselves against Premier League opposition.

Albion and Boro played out a two-all draw at The Riverside last season with Kanu and Nathan Ellington firing the Baggies goals, Mark Viduka and a Yakubu penalty replying for the home side.

The last time the Robins of Bristol entertained the Baggies was in a pre-season friendly before the 2004/05 season when the Baggies ran out 3-1 winners, you need to go back to the 1998/99 season for the last league meeting at Ashton Gate where the Baggies also won 3-1 thanks to a brace from Lee Hughes and a rare James Quinn strike.

The replay between Middlesbrough and Bristol City will be played on Tuesday 13th February.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2007, 09:36
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Not a bad draw, I think you could possibly beat Boro, if you played on top of your game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2007, 09:06
Legend

Middlesbrough v West Brom

The Riverside
Saturday 17 February
Fifth Round
Kick-off: 1500 GMT
Referee: Howard Webb (Yorkshire)

BIG-MATCH FACTS

MIDDLESBROUGH against West Brom is one of four Premiership against Championship ties in the fifth round. The Black Country club are the third lower division side Gareth Southgate's men will have faced in this season's FA Cup competition. The Teessiders have had a torturous route so far. They scraped through the third round with an odd goal in seven home replay victory over Championship strugglers Hull, and then needed a penalty shoot-out to dismiss an injury hit League One Bristol City in a fourth round replay, also at the Riverside, on Tuesday.

Ten places higher than Albion on the league ladder, the north-east club are looking for an eighth successive home game without loss, since Manchester United defeated them in the Premiership on 2 December. The Teessiders last met the Baggies last season in the Premiership when they stretched their unbeaten run against them to five (four wins and one draw).

The north east club graced the FA Cup final for the one and only time a decade ago. They were beaten 2-0 by Chelsea to the quickest goal in a Wembley final from Robert Di Matteo after 43 seconds. The Teessiders' best since then has been two semi-final appearances in five years - the most recent last season. They've not been dismissed by lower division opposition since Second Division (third tier) Wrexham knocked them out 2-1 in a third round tie at the Racecourse Ground on 11 December 1999.

WEST BROMWICH ALBION manager Tony Mowbray is one of three facing a former club in the fifth round. Preston's Paul Simpson against Manchester City and Reading's Steve Coppell against Manchester United are the others. Mowbray, who was born at Saltburn, was an apprentice at Middlesbrough and made 425 appearances and scored 29 goals in 10 years with them from November 1981. Albion have not beaten Middlesbrough in any competition since a 1-0 triumph at the Hawthorns in the Premiership on 30 November 2002.

Free-scoring Albion stretched their unbeaten run to eight games with a 1-2 victory at Layer Road, against a strong-at-home Colchester on Tuesday night. It took the Baggies' League goals tally to 60 - only Manchester United have scored more in the top four divisions - and was their fourth straight away victory, lifting them into the Championship's top two automatic promotion places. Albion are the only club to have won the FA Cup and been promoted to the top flight in the same season. They achieved it in 1931 - the third of their five FA Cup wins. The most recent was in 1968, a 1-0 extra time victory over Everton, which was the first to be televised in colour.

It's 26 years since the Baggies last faced Middlesbrough in the FA Cup and lost the fourth round tie to an Ian Bailey goal at Ayresome Park. These clubs have only been drawn against each other three times in the competition, and West Brom won the previous two. The victory over Leeds in this season's third round was only Albion's second win in an FA Cup tie in four years. Having followed it with a comprehensive 0-3 success over local rivals Wolves at Molineux, West Brom are now on their best run since 2001-02. They go to the Riverside eager to match the performance of five years ago, when they succumbed to Fulham in the quarter-finals, having knocked out Premiership Leicester 1-0 at home in the fourth round on 26 January 2002 - the last time they dismissed higher ranked opposition.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2007, 11:11
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

You've got every chance of going through, a replay would be nice, an extra game to fot in

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2007, 18:30
Legend

Albion Team News vs Middlesbrough
FA Cup 5th Round Replay
Tuesday 27th February 2007

Goalkeeper:
Dean Kiely will continue in goal with Luke Daniels on the bench.

Central Defence:
Curtis Davies should start on the right with Neil Clement on the left.

Wing-backs/Full-backs:
Paul Robinson will start at left-back. Martin Albrechtsen could start again at right-back (if he's recovered fully from a hamstring problem) to give Paul McShane a rest, or Jared Hodgkiss is a very slim possibility in the starting line-up. I doubt either will happen.

Midfield:
Zoltan Gera and Darren Carter will both be hoping for a start as other players may be rested. Jonathan Greening should start as should Robert Koren with Richard Chaplow and Jason Koumas the most likely to make way for a break. Ronnie Wallwork is a long way from match fitness so won't figure.

Strikers:
Joe Kamara and Kevin Phillips could both take a break, but Baggies may feel we need the pace of Kamara up front so he may start. John Hartson, Nathan Ellington and Sherjill MacDonald are the other options up front with Ellington (if fully fit after a dead leg on Saturday) a likely starter.

Likely Line-up:

Kiely
McShane Davies Clement Robinson
Gera Greening Carter Koren
Ellington Kamara

Subs:
Daniels (GK), Albrechtsen, Chaplow, Hartson, MacDonald
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 10:57
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The result I hope for . . . some tired legs for the weekend Would be good if you could go through and clog your fixture list up a bit more as well

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 17:00
Legend

Yeah loosing for ex Kamara before an important match against Sunderland would complicate things in championship
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 20:19
Legend

Carter scored, 1:0
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 22:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
game decided by 2 Dutchmen p

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 22:50
Legend

1:1...pen 4:5

done in FA Cup for this season, 3 days to recover before the match against Sunderland
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 22:55
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
game decided by 2 Dutchmen p

MacDonald I wish he was M'boro player tonight
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old February 28th, 2007, 11:25
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

ahhhhh yes all the way too penalties

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in