Barnsley Sack Ritchie - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:14 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Barnsley Sack Ritchie

Barnsley have sacked manager Andy Ritchie.

Ritchie and the club had been at odds with each other in recent weeks over contract talks.

Former Oldham striker Ritchie said at the weekend that he was disappointed that the club's board had refused to discuss a new contract with him.

The Tykes have endured a slump in form recently and currently sit second from bottom of the Championship table.

A club statement read: "It is with regret that the Board of Barnsley Football Club has announced its decision to terminate the contract of manager Andy Ritchie with immediate effect.

"The decision by the board follows the failure to resolve differences with the manager concerning the need the strengthen the first team squad to ensure survival in The Championship.

"Fans will also be aware that the manager has followed an approach that gives preference to that players who gained promotion last season to keep their places in the current campaign.

"The board has had repeated meetings with the manager to encourage team strengthening alongside the need to show appropriate loyalty. It has been the board's opinion throughout that ensuring competition for places and having different tactical options through the squad composition was essential to survival in The Championship.

Recently, the club entered into contract negotiations with the manager and as part of these discussions was seeking a commitment to squad strengthening.

"Rather than creating a basis for a compromise in views, these discussions served to emphasise the difference in opinions on how the club can best maintain its Championship status. As a consequence, the board felt that it had no alternative to the decision it has taken today."

Academy manager Simon Davey has been placed in temporary charge at Oakwell until a new manager is found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:16 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Seems a bit of an odd one too me, sure there near the bottom, but that's where you'd expect them to be, and their in touching distance of safety.

They never looked like getting promoted again before Ritchie came along, and this is how they repay him...typical of football these days though.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:32
Star Player

Teams: England B
well they were definately goin down. ritchie had the opportunity to spend and improve the squad but didnt, obviously poor judgement on his part. waddock did the same in the summer, qpr sacked him and now look where they are

Champions of England - 1948/49 & 1949/50

Ernie Butler
Bill Hindmarsh------------------Harry Ferrier
Jimmy Scoular-------------------Reg Flewin (c)---------------Jimmy Dickinson
Ike Clarke---------------------Len Phillips
Peter Harris---------------------Duggie Reid------------------Jack Froggatt

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:45
0-1, Huth.
International

I find the dismissal a bit dodgy as well. He probably didnt get dismissed for "poor" results, but other off the field issues (contract negotiations etc). They will be in the relegation zone (or there abouts) in May time anyway. So I dont understand this move.

If Carlsberg did forum signatures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:
Nottingham Forest 2-5 Yeovil Town

May 2007
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2006, 13:42 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSilk24
well they were definately goin down. ritchie had the opportunity to spend and improve the squad but didnt, obviously poor judgement on his part. waddock did the same in the summer, qpr sacked him and now look where they are
Waddock had a much better squad too work with in their 2nd season up though, I feel a bit sorry for Barnsley, they pissed all over us at Pride Park, before Giles Barnes single handedly won us the game in the space of 3 minutes.

They play some good atacking football, but their defence is shocking...

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in