New Manager ? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 12:44 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
New Manager ?

West Bromwich Albion have reportedly started interviewing managerial candidates, with Middlesbrough and England coach Steve Round and Hibernian boss Tony Mowbray the latest to be linked.

Baggies chairman Jeremy Peace is on the lookout for a new boss after Bryan Robson's exit and he has already been linked with Burnley's Steve Cotterill and Cardiff boss Dave Jones.

Cotterill is believed to be favourite, despite the Clarets' insistence the link is wide of the mark, while Albion officials are refusing to lift the lid on any of the potential targets.

However, Round, who remained at Middlesbrough to help out their new boss Gareth Southgate and also secured a role with his former Riverside chief Steve McClaren in the England set-up, is thought to be a possibility due to his reputation for being an excellent coach.

Mowbray has established a quality young side at Hibs and was even linked with the managerial positions at his former clubs Boro and Ipswich earlier in the summer.

Too bad Curbishley isnt intrested, wouldv been best choise out of all these names linked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 13:54
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Everyone wants Curbishley, even clubs currently with a manager

There's sod all out there, that's why I didn't understand you sacking Robson when you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 14:22
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
being a coach is one thing but a manager is a different thing.
Being good at one will not mean you are good at the other.

Cant say that any of those managers make me sit up and pay attention, juts another name for us to sack in two years. Been there done it since 1980's.

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 15:23
Legend

From Express & Star

Chairman Jeremy Peace was today dealt a double blow in his plans to make a two-tier appointment at The Hawthorns following Bryan Robson’s exit..

Peace’s masterplan for the club’s future is to bring in a technical director to work with a thrusting young coach who would run the first-team squad.

But one of the main candidates for the coaching role, England coach Steve Round, today pulled out of a scheduled interview, while Peace has decided against pursuing Dutchman Theo Vonk for the role of technical director.

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 20:48
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
Seems they sacked Robbo too late because they missed out on John Gregory
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 21:37 Thread Starter
Legend

Latest reports say the favorite is Steve Cotterill
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2006, 11:09
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex
Seems they sacked Robbo too late because they missed out on John Gregory

And just when I thought it couldn't get any funnier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albion
Latest reports say the favorite is Steve Cotterill

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2006, 14:58
Legend

What is happening is that Peace is going round seeing who is interested, and instead its coming back as they are being interviewed for the job.

Presently all Peace is doing is drawing up alist of potentials who he will then give an interview to.

Tony Mowbray
Steve Cotterill
Joe Kinnear
Mike Newell (Luton)
Dave Jones (Cardiff)

Nos
Steve Round
Mickey Adams (Cov refused permission)
Gary Megson (goes without saying)

Yeah such a shame Gregory is already taken

I wonder if big Ron is interested again ? p

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2006, 10:10
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Jones - Why's he going to leave Cardiff when there top, and a club with all the potential to be as big as West Brom if not bigger, when they finally move stadium.

Newell - Best man for the job, wanted to get on his high horse and tell everyone he turned the Derby job down when he wasn't even offered it, saying he's got unfinished business at Lutin, so I'm not sure whether you can get him either.

Kinnear - Look where Forest are!

Cotterill - Decent coach, but a complete @rsehole.

Mowbray - Seems to get linked with every Championship vacancy, including us...twice, someone must give him a chance soon

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2006, 10:56
Legend

From sporting life
http://www.sportinglife.com/football...&TEAMHD=soccer

West Brom hope to arrange talks with former Rangers boss Alex McLeish after Coventry snubbed their request to speak to Micky Adams, according to the Daily Mirror.

A host of names have been linked with the Hawthorns hot-seat following the departure of Bryan Robson earlier this month, with Steve Cotterill, Dave Jones, Mike Newell and Steve Tilson named as targets.

But it appears McLeish is now Albion chairman Jeremy Peace's number-one choice having failed to hold talks with Sky Blues chief Adams.

McLeish was replaced by Frenchman Paul Le Guen at Ibrox in the summer, but enjoyed a trophy-laden tenure with the Gers.

And Peace is hoping to hold preliminary discussions with the Scot and his agent next week, when there is an international break.

The Albion supremo has announced his intention to have the new man in place before the trip to Ipswich on October 14, and will make it clear to McLeish that promotion back to the Premiership is an absolute must for the Baggies this season.

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2006, 22:51
Xtratime Elite

What type of coach is he?
Defensive or attack minded? Does he has a favorite formation?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:22
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Theres always Bobby Gould

And Bentex, McCleish is just a traditional British manager, he plays 4-4-2 mainly, but did sometimes play 4-3-3 at Rangers, and likes to have a balance between attack and defence. He wasn't particularly exciting, but had his moments, and liked to have a strong base at the back, with at least one combative midfielder.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2006, 13:39
Legend

We've had Ossie Ardiles - all out attck, the only time two CB's got 10+ goals in a season.

We've had Gary Megson whose peferred formation seemed to be 10-0-0

Robson who played 4-5-1 but insisted it was 4-3-3.

And lets not even mention Brian Little or Bobby Gould!
Gould still gets taunted when he comes to Albion. I'll never forget the 3-2 defeat at home to Swansea when we were 2-0 up with 12 minutes to go. We staged a sit in after that game! My mate was a Swansea fan and came into the home end after the final whistle and sat with us!

McLeish or Mowbray seem reasonable choices.

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2006, 13:41
Legend

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/5400754.stm

Former West Brom boss Bryan Robson is weighing up offers to manage in Europe - but would welcome interest from Leeds or Norwich about their vacancies.

The former Manchester United and England captain wants to make a quick return to work after his spell in charge of the Baggies ended last month.

"I'm really keen to get straight back into the game," he told BBC Sport.

"I have had loads of offers from clubs in Europe that I am going to consider this time around."

Robson's reign as Hawthorns boss ended only eight games of the current Championship season.

The club announced that he had left by mutual consent but Robson insists he was keen to help the Baggies make an immediate return to the Premiership following their relegation from the top flight last season.

He added: "It came as a bit of a surprise because we were four points off the leaders in the table, we had had a lot of injury situations like Diomansy Kamara, Nathan Ellington and Curtis Davies.

West Brom have probably got the best squad in the Championship

Bryan Robson

"You just think that when everyone was fit and flying we had a chance. So it did come as a shock but that is football as far as I am concerned.

"In a sense, it was probably a little to do with the relationship between myself and the board from January - when I didn't get their backing in the transfer window with some of the players I wanted to sign.

"I would have been fine to continue because I think there is a good set of players there and they have a good chance of being promoted. I will be really surprised if they are not back in the Premiership at the end of the season.

"I think West Brom are set up really well and whether Nigel Pearson stays as coach there, or someone else takes over, they have probably got the best squad in the Championship.

"I have left the club in a good state and am looking to get back into football myself."

Robson said he has not had any contact with clubs in England since leaving West Brom but would welcome any interest from Leeds or Norwich.

"I feel when it comes to a job situation the people who are in charge know what you are like and it's whether they want you or not," he said.

"With my track record at Middlesbrough and West Brom, if people want to get in touch then I will listen."

Leeds sacked Kevin Blackwell last month, while Nigel Worthington was shown the door by Norwich at the weekend

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2006, 04:11
Xtratime Elite

Lot's of managers on the Managerial Merry-Go-Round
I certainly don't want Robbo to go to Leeds.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2006, 13:24
Legend

http://www.squarefootball.net/articl...e.asp?aid=3709

West Brom have the stadium, the fan base and undoubtedly the best squad in the Championship. The only thing they are lacking is a top class manager who can guide them back to the Premiership and establish the club as one of the game’s elite.

More than 30 coaches have reportedly applied for the vacant position left by Bryan Robson and it is vital that Jeremy Peace appoints the right man for the job. It’s one of the most attractive positions in the game at the moment and it’s not a surprise that so many names have been linked with the job. However Peace has to make the crucial decision of appointing one as the next manager.

Here I take a look at the credentials of some of those in the running.

Steve Cotterill
The Burnley boss is widely regarded as one of the brightest young managers in the game and has emerged as clear favourite for the vacant post. His managerial record speaks for itself having taken Cheltenham from non-league football to League 1 in five seasons, securing FA Trophy glory on the way, and currently has Burnley challenging for a promotion place. But for all of his achievements he is still untried at the highest level and if West Brom are serious about winning promotion and establishing themselves as a Premiership club then this could be a gamble.

Joe Kinnear
The former Wimbledon and Nottingham Forest boss has been out of the game for the past two years but has been linked with the job. Kinnear has always won more games than he’s lost at every club he’s been at but his brand of football is unlikely to entertain the fans. But does Peace want a winning team or an entertaining team?

Tony Mowbray
The Hibernian manger has won rave plaudits for his style of football where attack really is the best form of defence. The fans have flooded back to Easter Road as they know they are going to be entertained and he has a real eye for raw talent. West Brom have a squad of players that could destroy the rest of the Championship under the right manager and that man could be Mowbray. However having reportedly turned down the chance to manage former clubs Middlesbrough and Ipswich in the summer I would be surprised if he left Edinburgh for Sandwell, but it would be an amazing coup.

Alex McLeish
Big Eck has been a winner at every club he’s been at. As a player he won it all at Aberdeen, including the European Cup Winners Cup and Super Cup, and as Rangers boss scooped every domestic trophy available. He even won relegation with Hibernian, but credit to the big man he did bring them back up.. He’s a bright, honest and articulate manager and is looking to get back into management. McLeish would be a great appointment and it would be interesting to see how he works with former Celtic hero John Hartson, who he tried to sign for Rangers.

Glenn Hoddle
Glenn was regarded as one of the best young managers in the country following his exceptional work with Swindon before taking over at Chelsea and then landing the England job. Unfortunately his off-the-field remarks have been his undoing and he’s failed to do anything of note since. He was one of the game’s great players but following a poor spell in charge at neighbours Wolves his appointment would go down worse than Robson’s arrival.

Graeme Souness
The Scot has been out of management since his ill-fated move to Newcastle and I think his appointment would get the same sort of reaction from the Baggies fans as it did from the Magpies. Nobody can deny that the former hardman of Liverpool and Rangers was a great player but his career as a manager has left many unconvinced. This wouldn’t be the right move for either party.

Alan Curbishley
The former Charlton boss was the fans’ favourite for the job when the situation first became vacant but has since distanced himself from the post. He worked miracles at The Addicks and many felt that he could have been the one to cement the Baggies place in the top flight. However it looks as though there is next to no chance of him arriving in the Midlands.

David Jones
Another former Wolves manager who is doing great things at Championship leaders Cardiff City. Has a great understanding of the game and knows how to get the best out of players and it would be a real scoop if he was to leave Cardiff for The Hawthorns.

Mickey Adams
Highly respected in the game, the current Coventry boss rules with an iron rod but is very fair and has a great relationship with all his players. He knows all about winning promotion after success at Fulham, Brighton and Leicester and saved the Sky Blues from the drop last season. He would love another crack at the Premiership and would surely have more chance to achieve that at West Brom than Coventry.

Mike Newell
The former Blackburn and Aberdeen striker has worked wonders at Kenilworth Road and would no doubt be a hit with the Baggies fans. He is tactically astute and demands 100 per cent from his players. His no-nonsense style of management would appeal to most fans.

Who Peace appoints next will say an awful lot about his ambition for the club. Hopefully for the fans’ sake he picks a man that will excite them and get them back to where they belong.

Who would you like to see in charge at The Hawthorns? Let me know.

Colin Illingworth
30 September 2006

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2006, 13:25
Legend

McLeish Mowbray and Cotterill seem to be the favourites at present.

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2006, 16:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
You won't get Mowbray, but he'd be the best choice. Cotterill is a good manager, I don't get why you guys wouldn't want him. Perhaps hes considered to conservative? Maybe given players like Gera and Earnshaw he could show his ability to make an attacking side.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2006, 13:01 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Quartet on WBA's manager short-list

Jeremy Peace will appoint West Brom's new boss from a four-man short-list of Steve Tilson, Steve Cotterill, Alex McLeish and Tony Mowbray
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2006, 10:34
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

So you've made an aproach to speak too Mowbray, he's known for having his side play attacking football, which is always good.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in