Do you want your club to get promoted through new ownership and new players? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 07:01 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Do you want your club to get promoted through new ownership and new players?

Major League Soccer owners are looking for a new investment and it is somewhat likely that they will invest in an English team (similar culture/language). Kraft and Anschutz has been linked with buying a Premiership club before, Liverpool and Aston Villa respectively.

MLS owners include Anschutz (net work over $7 billion), Hunt, Kraft, Kroneke, Vergera, Checkkett and others. Combined, they are worth more than $12 billion. Sport is probably like a hobby to them. Anschutz and Hunt has been subsidize American soccer for over 10 years at a huge cost. MLS has lost over $300 million since its first season in 1996 according to various news reports from Sports Illustrated, LA Times.

The main benefit is that these owners control MLS and if they want, they can transfer players to aid the team in England for promotion purpose or a fight for UEFA Cup spot. Actually, MLS own contract of all of its players, which would make any transfer decision easier.

For the last 2-3 years, several players have transfer to Europe from MLS. Instead of going to various teams in Europe, what if these players transfer to your team.

Beasley to PSV
Howard to Man U
McBride to Fullham
Bocanegra to Fulham
Elliot to Fulham
Ryan Nelsen to BlackBurn
Convey to Reading
Gibbs to Feynoord (spelling?)
Hahnemann to (forgot to what team, he is currently at Reading right now)
Donovan to Bayern Leverkusen (back to MLS now, but many believe he is the most talented American player)
Ralph to Kazan FC (in the Russia league)

And in the pipeline that many are expecting to transfer out of MLS in the near future:

Freddy Adu
Eddie Johnson (load of talented, Benefica offered $4.5 million for him and was rejected)
Ruiz (one of the best players in MLS)
Palencia
Garcia
Gaven
Dempsey and various future USA internationals.

These players want to play in Europe and will leave MLS someday.

The negative side of this is that your team will probably have around 6-10 American/oversea players out of 27 in the rosters. But look at Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool, they are stacked with none-English players too.

So, as a fan, would you welcome such American investment?

Last edited by FCUnited; February 17th, 2006 at 07:07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 09:17
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
No, we've got local investors ready and waiting, they might not have as much money, but they will run the club the way the people want it run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:15
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
No, that wouldn´t be good. I´d rather see my club staying in the lower league than having it run like a hobby or a business company. You see the trouble with Milton Keynes Dons, people don´t accept it.

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:25 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiollama
No, that wouldn´t be good. I´d rather see my club staying in the lower league than having it run like a hobby or a business company. You see the trouble with Milton Keynes Dons, people don´t accept it.
Milton Keynes Dons are not succeeding because they suck on the field not because the people are shunning away from it due to the Wimbledon thing.

So how are football clubs run if not like a business or a hobby?

For most, it is run as one of the above. For the lucky few, it is run by the fans, for the fans. Barcelona, AFC Wimbledon and FC United are those that come to mind.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:27 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
No, we've got local investors ready and waiting, they might not have as much money, but they will run the club the way the people want it run.
The investors/owners will run the club the way they want it to run not the way 'the people' want it to run. It's sad but it is true.

But hey, it's your club. But I wouldn't mind having these football-philantrophists owning my club since that what they are. They bankroll a league that is losing $20 million each year. Without them, MLS would have folded back in 1999.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:31
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCUnited
Milton Keynes Dons are not succeeding because they suck on the field not because the people are shunning away from it due to the Wimbledon thing.
I'd disagree with that. Yes they suck on the pitch, but when you only get 25 fans turning up, that had too affect the team, back in the season they got relegated from the 1st division, and it's that relegation that has caused them big problems.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:33
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
The investors/owners will run the club the way they want it to run not the way 'the people' want it to run. It's sad but it is true.

That's why our current board is being run out of town :fero: And we want a new one in of local bussinessmen, who are all fans of the club and have season tickets now

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:40 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
I'd disagree with that. Yes they suck on the pitch, but when you only get 25 fans turning up, that had too affect the team, back in the season they got relegated from the 1st division, and it's that relegation that has caused them big problems.
25 fans?

They are drawing around 4000 fans. Respectable for a League One team that is dead last in the standing and a shoe-in for relegation. Oh, their curent field-hockey-ish stadium sucks. Wait until the new stadium is finished and the team play better.

However, the benefit of having MLS owners as your investors is that a whole league is your reserve side. And this reserve side sends top talents to Premiership, Dutch League, Bundesliga each year. And this number will grow as American soccer will grow. If I am a fan of say Milton Keynes Dons, I would love to have the whole BETandWin.com Liga of Portugal as my reserve side. Yes, I too was surprised to found out that the First Division of Portugal is named after an online gambling site. It makes Coca Cola Championship sounds 'good.'

Oh there is an article on the Times today.

British clubs warned the Russians are coming
Times February 17, 2006

key excerpt

MORE British clubs will fall into the hands of rich owners from the old eastern bloc in the years to come, according to Liutauras Varanavicius, the former Heart of Midlothian director.
The Barclays Premiership has been transformed through the millions of Chelsea’s billionaire owner, Roman Abramovich, while Portsmouth’s co-owner, Alexandre Gaydamak, a French national of Russian descent, has invested £20 million into the Hampshire club. In Scotland, Vladimir Romanov, a Lithuanian banker, has gained control at Hearts.

“Maybe it is very strange for people in England and Scotland, countries which have been running football for ages. But the Russians are coming everywhere,” he said.

“There are two options: either to say they are not to invest money in football or to find solutions. Uefa is very positive about investing money in football. I expect very soon, in the next two to three years, you will have more Russian owners of Premiership clubs. That is the reality and people should accept it. Football has changed and cross-border ownership has already become a reality.

“It is at the beginning of the change. I know already that Hibernian tried to make a deal with Chelsea and some people are looking to Scotland also. I know that there are a lot of Russian business people who are looking at the Premiership.”

Last edited by FCUnited; February 17th, 2006 at 10:46.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:46
International

Quote:
So how are football clubs run if not like a business or a hobby?

For most, it is run as one of the above. For the lucky few, it is run by the fans, for the fans. Barcelona, AFC Wimbledon and FC United are those that come to mind.
Ok, it´s getting more and more to a business, but there´s a slight difference between a hobby like Chelsea for Abramowitsch and "business teams" like most or all of those big teams in the North American sports teams. Take Bayern München for example, I really don´t like them, but they´re a perfect run club that got more and more like a business over the past 10-20 years. But it´s not run with a big company in the background. People don´t like that.

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:48
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

There're drawing 4000 now, but I was talking about the season they got relegated, I think they brought 12 fans to Derby, it was less than 20 anyway.

The players used to say home games felt like reserve matches, and the away team regulaly had more fans there than Wimbledon the home team, that meant all there good players wanted too leave...and did, and that's the season that f'ucked them up, and the moving too Milton Keynes thing was the reason for it.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:49
International

Why do the Russians only want English teams? I don´t get that point.

GLUBB

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:50
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Why do the Russians only want English teams? I don´t get that point.
Best League....nah Best country on the planet

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 10:53
International

Oh, how could I forget that.

GLUBB

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 11:00
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I dunno though, England, Spain and Italy are probably seen as the 3 biggest leagues, they must prefer us too the other too..,it's probably too hot for them in Spain and Italy :undecide:

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 11:00 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Ok, it´s getting more and more to a business, but there´s a slight difference between a hobby like Chelsea for Abramowitsch and "business teams" like most or all of those big teams in the North American sports teams. Take Bayern München for example, I really don´t like them, but they´re a perfect run club that got more and more like a business over the past 10-20 years. But it´s not run with a big company in the background. People don´t like that.
Most clubs are run with a big company in the background. That's how the owners can afford to invest in such a club. For the most part, the sports team is not the only business that these rich owner participate in.

In a perfect world, the club is owned by the fans and run by the fans. But it is not and you probably have to pick between the lesser of two evils.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 11:03
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Most clubs are run with a big company in the background. That's how the owners can afford to invest in such a club. For the most part, the sports team is not the only business that these rich owner participate in.

In a perfect world, the club is owned by the fans and run by the fans. But it is not and you probably have to pick between the lesser of two evils.
I wouldn't say most clubs are run with a big compnay in the background...most big clubs maybe, but not most clubs.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2006, 11:04 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:

I dunno though, England, Spain and Italy are probably seen as the 3 biggest leagues, they must prefer us too the other too..,it's probably too hot for them in Spain and Italy :undecide:
It's easy.

1) Many English teams are public traded company. How was Man U and Hearts got takeover?

2) Premiership is the most international league. It is more popular than Series A or La Liga. Since these Russian owners are looking for status, they choose the league with the most status.

3) The English language.

p.s. Expect some Russian or Arab billionaires to nab a Premiership clubs or two in the coming years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in