Levein Sacked - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 12:14 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Levein Sacked

Leicester City have parted company with boss Craig Levein, after a disastrous run of league form left them 22nd in The Championship.

Despite a superb FA Cup win over Tottenham, The Foxes have suffered an alarming dip in performance and as a result Levein has now departed The Walkers Stadium.

A 1-0 defeat to Plymouth on Tuesday night was the last nail in the coffin for the Scottish boss as it extended Leicester's winless streak to ten games.

Peter Houston and Kenny Black will also be leaving The Foxes, with Rob Kelly taking over as caretaker boss for the short term.

"It is with huge disappointment that we have to announce the departure of Craig, Peter and Kenny," chief executive Tim Davies told the club's official website.

"I would like to thank them for the work they have done for the club since their arrival in November 2004.

"At that time we set out on a long term strategy for the club.

"Much of this has been achieved, however our league position is unacceptable and we need to make a change.

"We have had great support from our fans and all of us have one common goal - to avoid relegation and we see this as the way forward to do this."
Former Hearts boss Levein has expressed his disappointment at the decision, but wished Leicester well in building on his work at The Championship outfit.

"Peter, Kenny Black and I are disappointed to be leaving the club," said Levein.

"We came to Leicester and, with the full co-operation of the board, embarked on a long-term strategy to reduce the wage bill, reduce the average age of the team and build the foundations for long-term success.

"We felt we were making significant progress in those areas and our reaching the quarter-finals of the FA Cup last season and in beating Tottenham earlier this month seemed to bear that out.

"However, we knew with such a young squad consistency would be hard to achieve and we understand the board have taken the view results were causing major concern.

"So they've taken the decision to terminate our contracts.

"We wish the club every success and are certain the club will reap the benefits of the work we've put in."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 12:15 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

So who will be the next mug to take the hot seat at the Crisp Bowl?

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 12:33
Legend

Teams: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones

So who will be the next mug to take the hot seat at the Crisp Bowl?
*Lineker's ears perk up*

Good news I guess, as I want to see Fryatt in the championship for more than until the end of the season and that wasn't going to happen with Craig.

Come visit us in the England Forum

Follow XtraTimeOrg on Twitter

" Marc, ok you won" - Calcio100

I am the circle and the circle is me.

Shall I then fear the tone
That breathes from world's unknown?
Surely these feverish aspirations there
Shall grasp their full desire,
And this unsettled fire
Burn calmly, brightly, in immortal air. - Felicia Hemans

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 13:01 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I hope they don't start winning, like teams often do with a new manager, and if they do hopefully it won't last long.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 15:00
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
I'm not surprised. they have been awful (even for East Midland standards) this season. a long cup run will only complicate the things for them. looking forward to seeing them (and derby) next season in league 1.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 15:06
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
He can't have been that bad. He best Spurs!!

Unfair dismissal imo

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 16:05 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Spurs threw that game away.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 17:15
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
I knew that he would get sacked in the next weeks but it´s fretful that this has to happen before Leicester plays against us next Tuesday. As you said jimbo, teams often start winning with a new manager, at least the first games.

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2006, 18:17
Star Player

Teams: England B
Levein was doing a great job. hopefully they get Peter Reid or Mr. Bitter himself John Gregory as a replacement

Champions of England - 1948/49 & 1949/50

Ernie Butler
Bill Hindmarsh------------------Harry Ferrier
Jimmy Scoular-------------------Reg Flewin (c)---------------Jimmy Dickinson
Ike Clarke---------------------Len Phillips
Peter Harris---------------------Duggie Reid------------------Jack Froggatt
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2006, 11:20 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I would love to see them appoint Gregory Joe Kinnear's looking for a job as well

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2006, 17:13
Star Player

Teams: England B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
I would love to see them appoint Gregory Joe Kinnear's looking for a job as well
and lifetime supply of Beef and Onion written into the contract could tempt fat Joe

Champions of England - 1948/49 & 1949/50

Ernie Butler
Bill Hindmarsh------------------Harry Ferrier
Jimmy Scoular-------------------Reg Flewin (c)---------------Jimmy Dickinson
Ike Clarke---------------------Len Phillips
Peter Harris---------------------Duggie Reid------------------Jack Froggatt
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2006, 13:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

What Leicester City have done is nothing short of shocking.

To have upset all these managers, in perfectly good jobs already, the way they have is just wrong and the people in charge at the Walkers Stadium should be ashamed.

It is nothing short of unbelievable. They have gone about things in completely the wrong way, it's as simple as that.

If you need a manager, you do not ask Burnley for permission to speak to Steve Cotterill, then ask QPR if it's OK to speak to Ian Holloway and then go to Luton to see if you can speak to Mike Newell.

You have a board meeting, you single out your preferred target and then you make your approach to the football club, or to the manager's agent. Of course, you have a plan B and even plan C in place in case the one you want doesn't come off, but you do not go and sound out all three clubs about talking to their managers.

You cannot take say five managers into an interview and then just pick whichever one shows up best, that's just plain wrong.

As I understand it, there were another couple of promising young managers on the list, so just because Leicester City have decided to do things the wrong way, other clubs and other managers have had to deal with all this speculation and unrest.

Technically they might not have done anything wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Football League had something to say about this, or indeed John Barnwell and the League Managers' Association.

The only outcome that could possibly remove the bitter taste from the mouth is that Ian Holloway ends up as manager of Leicester City Football Club.

If he doesn't, he will find himself out of work, that's the bottom line. And because of the way they have done things, that will be Leicester City's fault. Not Ian Holloway's. Not even Gianni Paladini's.

It made me laugh when I heard the QPR chairman say that Ian had not been sacked, because effectively that's what gardening leave is, but you can understand his point of view.

Yes he could have quashed all this by turning down Leicester's approach, just like Burnley did when they asked about Steve Cotterill, but he didn't. It is not all one-sided and it has perhaps given him the excuse to make a change at the Loftus Road helm, because as he rightly says, if you are a married man, you do not go looking at the woman next door!

That's effectively what Ian Holloway has done but his reputation should not be tarnished by what's happened because the situation is of Leicester City's making.

It may also be that Ian could do with a change himself. He has had to work under extremely difficult circumstances for a while now. He has not been able to spend loads of money, had administration to deal with and just hasn't been given the same financial clout as plenty of his Championship peers.

QPR are not going to go up this year, but they are not going to go down either and as a young, vibrant manager, you have to put him in the same bracket as people like Mike Newell and Steve Cotterill.

On these pages a few weeks ago, I said Leicester needed a bright, up-and-coming manager that knows the Coca-Cola League well and Ian Holloway fits that description. I assume he knew what he was letting himself in for when he agreed to speak to Leicester and I assume he is now aware what he is dealing with should he get the job.

If he does, it will be a case of all's well that ends well... and that is in spite of Leicester City.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2006, 13:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

What do you expect from leicester

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2006, 14:51
International

Teams: Arsenal
Newell has two interviews and still turns them down. What did they discuss at the second that made him say no?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2006, 15:37 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The free crisps he was too get would only be Ready Salted?

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2006, 10:08
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Leicester always have dirty tactics, like when they went into administartion to sort the troubles, while we have had too go through the s**t for years
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2006, 10:27 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah, I hope no f'ucker wants the job...though the guy in charge at the moment is doing too well for my liking.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2006, 16:14 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curren$y
Derby fans are just bitter that just 20 odd miles down the road there is a team who plays better football in a better stadium with better crowd.

That's hilarious it really is, from last season you probably played better football, yeah, a better ground, the Walkers/St Mary's is one of the few grounds that are actually worse than Pride Park.

And as for Leicester fans The day you lot eventually sell out an away allocation for a so called local derby I'll tip my my hat too you, I won't hold my breath though...

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2006, 16:30 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ahem

England v Mexico

stick that in ya pipe and smoke it...

and yeah you've got loads of fans...just a shame they don't turn up

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2006, 16:39 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curren$y
Lets just hope Lecester wins the Championship and Derby finish second, and we both gets promoted to the Premiership. And Forest might stil be playng in League One.

Wouldnt that just be great

Would be funny.

I do miss the red dogs though, Leicester's not on the same scale of rivalry really, it's more like 50 miles away than 20, at least from where I am in the city (near the a38, there's signposts ) it is fun watching them suffer though

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in