Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2006, 15:14
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester United
Still 1-0, 7 mins left to go.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2006, 16:16
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Hooo rah!!!!!!!!!!!

1-0 Our first away win

Alrechtsen was great on the break, but the second time he really should have passed the ball.

Darren Moore was woeful and quite possibly played his last game for us, his sending off fully justified.

Man of the Match was probably Tomas Cuszczak he was outstanding in goal, he must be included in the Polish squad for the WC. The save he pulled off in the last few minutes was incredible.

Robinson again had a very solid game and showed just how good a LB he is. He should be in the England squad as cover for Ashley Cole at LB.

Kevin Campbell did well enough up front.

Curtis Davies was composed and very aware playing at CB, played with a lot more experience than his age suggests.

All in all I thought we were on top in the first half, but obviously Moores sending off changed our game plan. We certainly came under more pressure second half but happy to say we held our nerve to get our first away win of the season

A very happy Baggie here

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2006, 16:16
Legend

Ten-man Baggies stun Wigan
By Paul Higham - Created on 15 Jan 06

Ten-man West Brom stunned Wigan with a 1-0 victory at The JJB Stadium, with substitute Martin Albrechtsen scoring the all-important winner.

The Baggies had not won away from The Hawthorns since March last year, and it looked as though the wait would go on after Darren Moore was sent off two minutes before half time.

Albrechtsen only came onto the pitch to cover for Moore's dismissal, but he popped up with his first goal for the club 11 minutes into the second half to hand Albion an unlikely win.

The three points were only achieved though with the help of goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak, who made a fantastic point-blank save in the dying seconds to hand Bryan Robson's men an unlikely victory.

Jimmy Bullard picked out Jason Roberts early on with a quick free kick, but the big striker could not turn and get a shot in on goal.

Steve Watson replied for Albion by firing his back-post volley goalwards from a corner, but Mike Pollitt was able to parry the ball away comfortably.

Wigan looked far more confident but West Brom nearly took the lead on 35 minutes when Kevin Campbell ghosted in beyond the hesitant Stephane Henchoz but his toe-poked deflected over.

Paul Scharner stung the palms of Kuszczak with a powerful drive five minutes before half time, but more trouble was to come for Albion just before the break.

Albion were reduced to ten men just two minutes before the interval when the already booked Darren Moore blatantly blocked off Roberts' run on the halfway line.

Referee Martin Atkinson had no option but to produce a second yellow for the big defender, to the disgust of Robson who was bitterly disappointed with Moore's actions.

It signalled an early end to Nathan Ellington's return to The JJB Stadium as he was sacrificed by Robson to bring defender Albrechtsen onto the pitch.

The ten men of West Brom started the second half well, and Pollitt was a shade fortunate that Campbell's flicked header from merely four yards hit his hands.

Albion then stunned the home crowd by taking the lead on 56 minutes, with Ronnie Wallwork out-muscling Scharner inside his own half before running and sliding in a perfectly weighted pass for Albrechtsen.

The substitute kept his composure and rifled a low shot under Pollitt to give the ten-man visitors the most unlikely of leads, considering their shocking away record.

Wigan set about in search of an equaliser, and Lee McCulloch was unfortunate to see his header come back off the crossbar after Pascal Chimbonda had nodded a corner back into the centre.

The Latics were piling on the pressure but Albrechtsen nearly killed them off when he led a lightning break down the right, but he opted to drive on and have a shot saved by Pollitt when Darren Carter was screaming for the ball in the middle.

Graham Kavanagh nearly made him pay for his decision with a curling free kick, but a flying Kuszczak turned the ball away for a corner.

Kuszczak was the hero for West Brom in stoppage time when he produced a wonderful flying save to deny Roberts at point blank rage after a goalmouth scramble.

The keeper's save was enough to see Albion hang on to their lead and secure their first away win since March last year.

Wigan v West Brom - Player Ratings
Code:
Wigan Athletic	Team Statistics	West Bromwich Albion
0	Goals		1
0	1st Half Goals	0
8	Shots on Target	6
14	Shots off Target	1
4	Blocked Shots	0
6	Corners		5
13	Fouls		18
2	Offsides	2
0	Yellow Cards	2
0	Red Cards	1
45.1	Possession	54.9

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2006, 20:32 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Finally an away win, and considering that next match will be against Sunderland it may be that WestBrom makes it second in a row
Cant belive how this happend with 10 men (Moore more reason why Ugo should be signed), im about to watch this game tonight they didnt show it live.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 05:39
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
Massive win, as we are five points clear of the drop zone now, with Birmingham and Pompey both losing yesterday. Actually in 16th now on GD, above 'Boro, but they have a game in hand.

Just finished watching a replay of it, Kuszczak was excellent in goal, though I thought that header just after the hour was destined to be a goal, we were a bit lucky. We were also lucky when they had that sequence in our box after about 70 minutes. It was actually a bit shocking they didn't get a goal or at least a decent shot out of it. I think they were a bit lucky too just before the break, Campbell should have scored on that ball in. I think if he'd put a little more or a little less on, then it would have gone in, either past the keeper or into the corner. That being said, he worked hard as a lone striker and had a decent game I thought. He was getting wide a bit, and did a good job of holding it up, but there was no one arriving in the boxx for him.

Extremely stupid foul by Moore to pick up his second yellow, but I think Robson handled it very well, and we didn't let it get to us as bad as it could have. I thought we showed remarkable resilience especially since it was away and with ten men for half the game.

Just a note, first West Brom goal for Albrechtsen, no?

Good match to watch and plenty entertaining.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 09:48 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Yes that is Albrechtsen's first goal for WB.

I saw the match last night, one other thing that I noticed : the fans ! they seemed to be in a large number and they were very noisy there.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 16:25
Legend

The club provided free coaches for the fans to travel to the game, as a thank you for the support over xmas. They did this before last season when we played Charlton away, the result that day? 4-1 Albion

Albrechtsen should laid the ball off the second time he got clean through to Carter in the middle he would have made it 2-0 and it would've have been game over.

Kuszczak was superb in goal pulling off save after save, how he's being kept out of the Polish squad, their other keeper must be the best keeper in the world!

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 17:42
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balis-of-Steel
Kuszczak was superb in goal pulling off save after save, how he's being kept out of the Polish squad, their other keeper must be the best keeper in the world!
He'll get his chance against the US in march.

'Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked!'
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 18:05
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
Best save I've seen this season, easily.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 20:43
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
The traveling fans were great from what I could here in the background (they were the subject of multiple positive comments from the announcers), but the Wigan fans were booing Ellington alot, which kind of annoyed me considering how much he did for them last season.

Balis, I agree with you about that second break Albrechtsen have, it was almost a sure goal had he laid it off and would've eased the tension alot. Still, I think his overall performance was good and he showed great composure in scoring his first goal.

Kuszczak=save of the season. It is comparable to the double save Jerzy Dudek made on Andriy Shevchenko in extra-time of last year's CL final. Funny how they're both Poles... Also, I was reading on the official site, Kuszczak wears his shorts backwards for good luck ever since he accidentally did so in the 4-0 win over Everton.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY

Last edited by naervod; January 16th, 2006 at 20:55.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 21:41
Legend

yeah I heard that about Kuszczak's shorts

Freddie Mia

Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
----------Foster
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2006, 20:18
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balis-of-Steel
yeah I heard that about Kuszczak's shorts
Lucky shorts

This was the best save I have seen in years I still cant believe how he did this. This was match winner save. What a brilliant keeper, hopefuly he will keep it up.
Kuszczak will play against USA in March, no doubt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in