Redknapp exchanges Pompey for bitter Rivals! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 19:38 Thread Starter
Legend

Redknapp exchanges Pompey for bitter Rivals!

Saints appoint Redknapp
by Peter ORourke - Last Updated 8 Dec 2004

Southampton have appointed former Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp as their new manager.

Redknapp quit Portsmouth just over two weeks ago claiming he needed a break from the game, but he has made a sensational return to management with their South Coast rivals

Redknapp replaces Steve Wigley, who has been relieved of his duties after failing to steer Southampton clear of trouble at the wrong end of the table.

The news will come as a major surprise to Portsmouth fans as Redknapp had revealed he would not join their old rivals when he left Fratton Park.

Redknapp becomes Southampton's third new manager of a troubled season after Paul Sturrock and Wigley.

The former West Ham boss will be given the job of guiding Southampton out of the relegation zone with The Saints only picking up two wins from 16 games this term.

Redknapp will take charge of Southampton for the first time this weekend when they host Middlesbrough at St Mary's and revealed he was delighted to be given the opportunity to take charge at Southampton.

"I have seen some comments that this must have been set up before I left Pompey but nothing could be further from the truth," Redknapp told the club's official website.

"I never dreamed I would be offered this job. I thought it could never happen because I had been at Pompey.

"I was looking forward to my break but then over the last 48 hours things all happened very suddenly.

"I walked away from Pompey without a penny and left a contract worth an awful lot of money.

"Those reasons are well documented. The chairman felt there was a need for a director of football and that was not a road I wanted to go down.

"I never had any idea anything like this would come up. In fact I was not even sure I wanted to go back into football.

"I had one or two calls but they did not interest me. I planned to take six months or a year and then see how I felt.

"But this was a challenge I could not turn down and if it had not been this club, then I don't know if I would have gone back into football.

"It is a terrific club - and I always said that when I was manager of Pompey."

Interesting development! Without a doubt Redknapp is a good manager who is great at keeping relegation style teams up (and in mid-table) and bargin buying decent players. This is going to add even more spice to the rivalry between Soton and Pompey!

Out beyond ideas
of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

All I possess in the presence of death
is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 19:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Yeah, he should do a good job as long as Rupert Lowe gives him full support which he hasn't in the past.

Shame that there aren't any Pompey fans here on XT cos I'd have been interested to know what they thought of Milan Mandaric. I know he saved their club but to add to Redknapp leaving, I heard on talksport that a Pompey fan was verbally abused by Terry Brady and intimidated when he voiced his discontent about Redknapp leaving. No doubt Redknapp was pushed imo and it's a disgrace

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 23:57
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya

"I never had any idea anything like this would come up. In fact I was not even sure I wanted to go back into football.

"I had one or two calls but they did not interest me. I planned to take six months or a year and then see how I felt.

I wonder if that was Wolves calling, and he wanted six months to stop laughing

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in