Glenn Hoddle is back - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 13:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Glenn Hoddle is back

Back at Wolves on a 6 month contract. Bit short don't you think?

If only he had the man management skills, he'd be a great manager. He was the last manager who imo made England good to watch.

I reckon he'll do a good job at Wolves since he's did well with Swindon in the lower divisions too in the past.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 13:57
Xtratime Legend

Poor Wolves p
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 07:05
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Tuesday, December 7, 2004

Hoddle handed six-month Wolves deal

Wolves have appointed Glenn Hoddle as their new manager on a six-month contract.

Hoddle: Six-month contract (SteveBardens/GettyImages)

The 47-year-old former England coach was unveiled at an 11am press conference, bringing to an end Wolves' month-long search for a successor to Dave Jones.

Jones parted company with the Coca-Cola Championship club on November 1 after the club's relegation from the Premiership last season was followed by a miserable start to the new campaign.

Hoddle, out of work since leaving Tottenham a year ago, will keep Stuart Gray - working as caretaker boss since Jones was sacked - as his assistant.

Gray will remain in charge for tonight's Championship match with Millwall, meaning Hoddle's first game as manager will be at Watford on Saturday.

'The club is delighted to appoint a manager of the calibre of Glenn Hoddle,' Wolves chairman Rick Hayward told the club's website.

'He has managed at the highest level with England and, most importantly to us, he has experience of taking a club into the Premiership.

'He achieved that success with Swindon Town, and our own hopes for this season remain very much alive.

'Although it has been a relatively long search, we believe Glenn fits our criteria better than anyone and is the best man for the job.'

Hoddle brings with him a wealth of top-level experience at a still relatively young age - facts not lost on Hayward who noted: 'His CV reads like a list of the Premiership who's who.

'Glenn has managed the likes of Chelsea - whom he took to an FA Cup final - Southampton whom, with Stuart's help, he led to eighth in the league and then most recently Tottenham Hotspur.

'He believes in playing football in a style that fits our reputation; he is of the right age and, having taken a year out, Glenn is hungry to get back into football. He has spoken to two Premiership clubs of late - and so for us to get him, we believe, is a real coup.

'We are particularly happy that Stuart will remain at Molineux, having worked with Glenn previously. We hope to see them recreate a similar winning formula to that which they enjoyed with the Saints.'

Hoddle began his managerial career as player-boss with Swindon before moving on to Chelsea and then taking up the England job.

His spell in charge of the national side came to an end after the 1998 World Cup when he made some controversial comments about disabled people in a newspaper interview.

He later returned to management with Southampton where he succeeded Jones - as he has now done at Wolves.

He engineered an upturn in Saints' fortunes before being lured to White Hart Lane by Tottenham, the club where he made his name as a player.

That relationship turned sour, and he left the London club early last season. Since then he applied unsuccessfully for the post of France manager and had also been linked with a return to Southampton.

Wolves are currently 17th in the Championship.

Eyebrows were raised when it was revealed Hoddle has agreed an initial deal of only six months.

He was reluctant to comment on the length of the contract, reporting: 'We spoke for a long time over that; I think it is to be assessed at the end.'

Hoddle is in no doubt about his brief, though.

'I truly believe if we get the momentum going we can reach our main objective, to be back in the Premiership,' he said.

'I'm delighted to be here. I saw the massive potential Wolverhampton have got; their ambition paralleled my thoughts.

'Stuart (Gray) has done a fantastic job, because it's always difficult being caretaker in that in-between period. We did work together at Southampton, and it worked very well there. I'm delighted to be back with him.'

Hoddle is convinced Wolves have the potential for a quick and lasting return to the top flight.

'Wolves are a Premiership outfit with the fan base and ambition - they've already had a taste, and it's very clear to me that is where they want to be put back again,' he said.

'It's a very big challenge. We're not sitting on top of the league - there's a lot of work to be done.

'That [the Premier League] is where everybody at this club wants to go. I picked that up very quickly, and that's where I want to go. I'm delighted to be back in football as well.'

Hayward and chief executive Jez Moxey admitted the recruitment process was a long one - but are in no doubt Hoddle was worth the wait.

'I think this is a tremendous opportunity for Wolves and I'm highly delighted Glenn has chosen to come to us,' said Hayward.

'It is a six-month contract - which was our idea, and he agreed - so we can test each other out and see if it works. But it's just the beginning.'

Moxey revealed the club enquired about Hoddle soon after Jones' departure but were forced to bide their time.

'The process took a long time, and when we started we said we wanted to keep an open mind. I was keen for Rick to see as many different managers as possible, and we drew up very detailed criteria,' he said.

'One of the first calls we made was to Dennis Roach, Glenn's representative. But Glenn was not available at that time. We then spoke to a number of different managers and as the process unfolded we became aware that many managers weren't available.

'We tried Glenn again 10 days or so ago and he said `yes, I'm happy to come and talk to you' - and we were delighted to do that and set up a meeting.

'The process went very well; we talked for a while and signed the contract on Sunday.'

Moxey also spoke about Gray's contribution in recent weeks.

'We were happy with the process taking so long, because the team was in good hands with Stuart Gray,' he said.

'I'd like to thank him for his effort in the last five weeks. Certainly, results have picked up. We are delighted he is staying (as Hoddle's assistant).'

Wolves great Kenny Hibbitt believes the club's supporters will give Hoddle their backing, despite some apparent disquiet about his appointment.

Hibbitt acknowledges Hoddle was not among the favourites for the post.

'He's been very quiet; he hasn't really been mentioned in the press and hasn't been talked about by the supporters,' the former Walsall manager told Sky Sports News.

'It is a great chance for him to resurrect his own career.

'Personally I thought Stuart Gray would have been given a chance until the end of the season with a view to achieving a play-off place, but unfortunately for him Wolves decided to get an experienced man.

'I don't think there will be that much money for him [Hoddle] to spend.'

Hibbitt is convinced, though, that Wolves fans will warm to the idea of Hoddle as their club's new manager.

'Wolves are good fans and will give him the opportunity. Like other fans they want results and want him to get the club going. If anyone can do it Glenn has the experience.'

Hoddle's former right-hand man John Gorman, who was his number two with England, confirmed he will not be leaving his position as Wycombe manager to join his former boss.

'I'm Wycombe manager and I'm delighted to be so,' Gorman told Sky Sports News.

'Glenn took the job, and that's it - end of story. I wish him well.

'I wanted to be my own man - that's why I have taken the Wycombe job. Everyone wants to be their own man - and while it was great to have the opportunity to work with Glenn in the past, I wanted to be my own boss.'

Gorman also went into bat for his old friend, who has had his critics in the past.

'I can't believe the negativeness, trying to criticise Glenn about his man-management,' said the Scot.

'You can't please all of the players all of the time, and when individuals make comments it's totally out of order.

'He's been England manager, one of the best.

'Wolves are a big club, a sleeping giant, so good luck to him.'

soccernet

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 11:48
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
he's got a tough job on, Wolves have been poor this season,but he has time to turn it round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 16:21 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I heard Wolves defence been the main problem. Not really the type of manager, I thought, who was the type of guy who' mends those kinda things. George Graham probably would have been a better call then. Also you have the same question mark about whether Glenn would be able to work with average players with limited football vision.

Still I hope he does well, the old legend

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 19:47
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Wednesday, December 8, 2004

Hoddle learns Spurs lesson

Newly-appointed Wolves boss Glenn Hoddle believes the manner of his Tottenham departure has made him better prepared for the challenge of earning his new club promotion to the Premiership.
The 47-year-old Hoddle, a favourite of the White Hart Lane faithful during a seven-year playing career with Spurs, was appointed Tottenham manager in March 2001.

But Hoddle's relationship with the north London club ended in discord after he was dismissed just six matches into the 2003-04 Premiership season.

The former England coach has now made a return to club management with Black Country outfit Wolves, whose expected push for promotion out of the Championship has so far failed to materialise.

And Hoddle said: 'The Tottenham situation ended with me leaving the club just six matches into the season and that leaves you scratching your head a little bit.

'We'd signed Frederic Kanoute and Robbie Keane, planning for them both to play together only for one of them to get injured.

'In the end, I never ever got the chance to play them together.

'And looking at how Spurs have done since then, perhaps it was a rash decision for me to go.

'But that's in the past and as a coach you're always learning.

'In fact, you learn something new every time you sit down to watch 90 minutes of football.

'So I've learned from the experiences I've had in my career to date and I'm looking forward to the challenge which lies in front of me here at Wolves.

'And it is a challenge, but with a lot of hard work I'm confident we can be successful here.'

Hoddle was at Molineux last night to watch Wolves slump to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Millwall after goals from Scott Dobie and Danny Dichio outweighed Kevin Cooper's penalty conversion.

And Hoddle said: 'It's clear I've got to assess the squad and that's got to be done very quickly.

'When you go to a new club there are always players who surprise you and turn out to be better than you thought they were, and there could also be a few who you were looking forward to working with but don't quite hit it for you.

'Then there are the young lads coming though who you also have to keep an eye on.

'There will also be the possibility of bringing in some loan players but the board have also told me they do have the ability to back me if there's a special case for bringing in someone on a permanent basis.'

soccernet

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 23:54
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
One of the reasons he wasn't considered for the post at WBA was that he said he would only want a contract to the end of the season. Our chairman thought that not in the best interests of the club so decided to opt for a longer term solution in Robson.

IF Hoddle had wanted a longer contract he would be manager of WBA now.
But I think its fair enough if players will be putoff going to a club as they know the manager is on a short term leash and thus doesn't have control over their futures. I cant see any self respecting player wanting to play under a manager in those circumstances.

Also why has it taken so long after first speaking to GH for Wolves to get their man?
I'll bet Wolves touted around the job to loads of managers with a 2 yr contract, they obviously have had no luck in attracting any sort of manager, ie: Hoddle told them to stick it as he only wanted a 6 month contract. So weeks went by and Wolves still hadn't found a new manager, so they went sheepishly back to Hoddle and agreed a 6 month contract.

Maybe they should have tried Santini, he likes short contracts too eh Wally

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2004, 09:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balis-of-Steel

Maybe they should have tried Santini, he likes short contracts too eh Wally
aye :fero: probably is a blessing in disguise though that it was so short!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2004, 05:48
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Wolves boss Hoddle in for Tottenham's Richards
tribalfootball.com - December 10, 2004

New Wolves boss Glenn Hoddle could raid former club Tottenham for one of his old signings.

Defender Dean Richards, a former Wolves favourite, is being lined up by Hoddle for a loan deal at Molineux.

Meanwhile, Hoddle has added his younger brother, Carl, to his backroom staff to assist in scouting and coaching.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2004, 06:42
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Richards staying put

By Simon Yeowart
Date: 10/12/2004

New Wolves manager Glenn Hoddle has denied he is looking to take Spurs defender Dean Richards to Molineux. Richards, who played under...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Richards staying put
By Simon Yeowart for THEspursweb.com

New Wolves manager Glenn Hoddle has denied he is looking to take Spurs defender Dean Richards to Molineux.

Richards, who played under Hoddle at both Southampton and White Hart Lane, has struggled to force his way back into the 1st team at Tottenham after a lengthy lay out with a head injury. However, Hoddle insists the defenders already present at the Midlands side need a chance to impress before he considers bringing his own players in.

"Deano's out of the team at Tottenham at the moment so I suppose people will put two and two together," said Hoddle.

"But it's not something I've been thinking about at this moment in time because I'm still in the process of assessing the squad.

"I have to be fair to the players who are already here and who are entitled to a decent crack of the whip.

"I've told the players they can all draw a line under the past and start with a clean slate under a new manager."

================

it's a bad news...

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2004, 05:32
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

The savaging of Hoddle, part 812

By Joff Wild
Date: 13/12/2004

It cannot have come as much of a surprise to find that less than a week after being appointed manager of Wolves, a Sunday newspaper had come...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

The savaging of Hoddle, part 812
By Joff Wild for THEspursweb.com

It cannot have come as much of a surprise to find that less than a week after being appointed manager of Wolves, a Sunday newspaper had come up with an angle that allowed them to run a negative story about Glenn Hoddle.

After all, it is no secret that Hoddle is loathed by almost every football writer in this country, principally because he has never taken the time to learn how to play their game in the way they like. However, what is more surprising is the relish with which some Spurs fans have embraced the Sunday People "story" as a means to resurrect old debates about Glenn and, in the process, to once again lay into him and show him a level of disrespect that no other Spurs legend has ever had to put up with.

Very briefly, the spirit of the Sunday People story was that Hoddle had not taken more than a six-month contract at Wolves because he is actively involved in a consortium that has already made two bids to buy Spurs. If the consortium is successful Hoddle will return as manager to put an end to the amateurish way in which the club is run and to fulfil his destiny. What's more, Hoddle believes that it will be successful because Daniel Levy cannot stand the pressure and Joe Lewis has given him one more season before he pulls the plug on ENIC's investment in the club. All this is backed up by direct quotes from Glenn himself.

On the face of it, it is an open and shut case. No journalist, not even on a tabloid, would make quotes up and put them in a story, because that is a route that leads directly to the courts. On top of that, the bloke who wrote the story, Neil Silver, is a seasoned hack who knows what's what. He is a Spurs supporter as well. So, Hoddle probably did say them things.

However, what we also know is that Glenn has denied talking to Silver and he has denied sitting down to talk with any consortium. Added to which, we know that John Bick, the guy that looks after ENIC's PR, has also said: "Could the real truth behind the story be that someone is trying to embarrass Hoddle?" To me, that is a very significant statement.

So, how do we reconcile all of this? First of all, it seems pretty clear that if Hoddle did say these things he did not say them in an on the record interview with Neil Silver some time in the last week. Both Hoddle and the Wolves chairman have stated publicly that it was Wolves' decision to offer Hoddle the six-month contract.

Why would both men say such a thing in the full glare of publicity only for Hoddle to come out a few days later to flatly contradict this, so putting his relationship with Wolves under major pressure? The answer is, they would not. Added to which, if this was an on the record and recent interview, it would be featured elsewhere in the Sunday People in more depth. But there is nothing. We have these quotes, some stuff taken from the press conference Hoddle gave last week and no more. Quite revealing when you think about it.

Let's throw some more stuff into the pot. Although Daniel Levy is mentioned in Glenn's quotes, there is no mention of Santini, Jol or Arnesen. Why not? Surely these three are major protagonists at Spurs and if Glenn considers them to be amateurs he would say so, especially as he seems perfectly happy to make comments specifically about the chairman. He would at least make some reference to them wouldn't he?

One notable feature of the story is that when you look at it carefully you see that there is no mention of timing anywhere - except very broad stuff about one more season. And this takes us to the heart of the matter. We have no idea when Glenn Hoddle made these comments except that it is extremely unlikely he made them last week. They could have been made any time in the last 15 months. In fact, the situation he describes looks remarkably like the situation as it was prior to the arrival of Arnesen, Jol and Santini - when quite frankly Spurs was in a complete state, there was a whole lot of politics and discord, and Daniel Levy was copping an awful lot of flak.

So how about this for a take on the Sunday People story? These are quotes that Glenn Hoddle made. But there were made in private, maybe to Silver, maybe to a third party who taped them, maybe in an email or other written format, some time towards the end of last season. On that basis, what has Hoddle done wrong? He has spoken to people who say they want to buy the club, he thinks there is a chance they may succeed because Daniel Levy cannot take the pressure, he thinks that Spurs is run as an amateur operation, he does not think he should have been fired, he would like another chance to manage the club he loves. But to his knowledge he has made all these comments in private.

So, in no way can he be said to be trying to drag the club's name through the mud. Neither is he commenting on the current Spurs set-up. Neither is he doing anything to undermine his relationship with, or commitment to, Wolves. He is merely expressing personal opinions, in what he thinks is a private situation. We may not necessarily agree with all of them but so what? That is not the point.
But having expressed such opinions, Hoddle cannot retract them. Neither can he take anyone to court. The Sunday People has put him in a terrible position. Which is what the paper wanted and what John Bick is talking about. As I said at the top, that's no surprise. Either Neil Silver has just got hold of this information or he has been sitting on it waiting for Hoddle to get back into football - something that would give the story real impact. Anyone who thinks journalists run stories containing quotes only taken from on the record, recent interviews is living in a world far removed from reality. There are many, many ways to get a quote.

At the end of the day you will believe what you want to believe. Most Spurs fans and Wolves fans will see this story for what it is: yet another attempt to make Glenn Hoddle look bad. Some, on the other hand, will choose to use it as more ammunition with which to vilify him. As for me, I remember Glenn Hoddle as a home grown, Tottenham loving football genius who gave me more pleasure than any other player that I have ever seen in a lilywhite shirt. I wanted him to succeed as a manager at Tottenham but he did not. I am sure that he still thinks he was badly treated and deserved more time. He has a right to hold those opinions and to express them, even though most of us would now disagree with him on the latter point.

But Glenn Hoddle loves Spurs far too much to go public with any other kind of criticisms he may have and he is too much of a professional to seek to destabilise Wolves only days after becoming the club's manager.

Shame on anyone who thinks otherwise.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2004, 23:26
Rookie

I'm glad he's back in football,

hopefully that means he wont be on the champions league pannel for sky from now on! he annoy's the hell out of me!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2005, 10:10
Rookie

If i was Glenn Hoddle i wouldnt be very encouraged by the amount of time the contract is, surely if he was there number one target he would of had a longer contract. Its either that or hes on a huge pay bonus if he gets Wolves to the playoffs or promotion.

Hopefully he does well, i thought he was a bit unfortunate for loosing the England job because of his opinions, ok they were out of line but i felt that he did an above average job as England manager.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2005, 13:21
Rookie

im not really sure about him to be honest he making the game very compilcated with all theses systems hes playing and its really not workin. the rumors goin arounda are tho tht hes gonna sign a new contract soon
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2005, 20:53
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
I heard from a very disgruntled Wolves fan, Carl Cort spent all game out on the wings against Gillingham, seems a bit stupid to me, the only thing Cort's good for is to be in the box when someone lumps the ball in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in