Larus Siggurdsson forced to retire. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2004, 13:18 Thread Starter
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Larus Siggurdsson forced to retire.

From bbc ...

Baggies defender forced to retire

West Brom defender Larus Sigurdsson has retired from playing after failing to overcome a serious knee injury.
The 31-year-old has not played a senior game since injuring his left knee at Crystal Palace in September 2003.

He also ruptured a crucicate ligament in his right knee in a reserve game against Aston Villa in March 2004.

"I've been struggling for almost a year and a half and every time I reached a certain level my knee kept breaking down," the Iceland international said.

"It's been very hard to accept. I'd never had a serious injury before I came to West Brom and I've been very unlucky.

"But there's nothing I could have done about any of them. They've all been caused by accidents during games."

Sigurdsson made 128 appearances for Albion, scoring one goal, after his Ł350,000 move from Stoke in September 1999.

Chairman Jeremy Peace said: "Larus has been a model pro throughout his time with us and it's a real shame he has been forced to call it a day.

"I have been told by our medical staff how hard he has worked to try and overcome his injury but it wasn't to be

--------------------------

Its a shame when any pro has to retire due to injury.

Larus was always a solid pro, but I doubt now at his age, whether he would have figured in Robbos plans.

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2004, 18:40 Thread Starter
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
http://www.wba.premiumtv.co.uk/page/...596427,00.html

Sigurdsson forced to retire
LARUS Sigurdsson has been forced to admit defeat in his brave 15-month battle to overcome a serious knee injury.

The Albion defender now plans to return to his native Iceland with wife Disa and sons Sigurdur and Aron.

Sigurdsson will first bid farewell to Baggies fans during the half-time break of Saturday week's Hawthorns date with Charlton.

The 31-year-old has announced his retirement after suffering an unwanted hat-trick of serious knee injuries at Albion, all of which were completely unrelated.

Sigurdsson's last senior appearance in a Baggies shirt came at Crystal Palace in September 2003 when he damaged the cartilage in his LEFT knee.

He made his comeback for the reserves four months later - only to rupture the anterior cruciate ligament in his RIGHT knee in his third second string outing against Villa in March.

The former Stoke centre-half was recovering well from his latest setback.

But the previous injury he suffered at Palace continually flared up when he reached high levels of rehab work, forcing him to call it a day.

Sigurdsson's first major injury came in ex-manager Gary Megson's first game in charge of Albion at Stockport in March 2000, when he ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his LEFT knee

He has praised the club for the 'excellent' treatment he has received during his five years and three months at The Hawthorns.

"I consider myself very fortunate to have been at a club like West Brom when these injuries came about," said Sigurdsson, who joined Albion in a Ł350,000 deal.

"Gary Megson was right behind me throughout and the club's physios, Nick Worth and Simon Spencer, have been absolutely great.

"The chairman has also been fantastic. In fact, the whole club has treated me brilliantly."

Sigurdsson added: "When I first signed for Albion, I met Nick before going for my medical and told him I'd gone five years without missing a game through injury at Stoke.

"I said 'don't worry, I never get injured.' I think I was jinxed from that day on!"

Although it has been a bitter pill to swallow, Sigurdsson claims his retirement has hardly come as a bolt out of the blue as the decision was all-but made for him.

"I've been struggling with my injuries for almost a year and a half now and every time I reached a certain level my left knee just kept breaking down," he said.

"I was then asked the questions 'how long do you want to carry on?' and 'how much do you want to risk permanent damage to your knee?'

"We all sat down and decided to give it one more go - but the knee broke down again. So the decision to retire was really made for me.

"It's been very hard to accept. I'd never had a serious injury before I came to West Brom and I've been very unlucky.

"But there's nothing I could have done about any of them. They've all been caused by accidents during games, either as a result of a collision or tackle."

Although Sigurdsson has spent more time in the treatment room than he would have liked at Albion, he will take plenty of fond memories back to Iceland.

He was an integral part of the first-ever Albion side to play in the Premiership during 2002/03 after helping the club pip Black Country rivals Wolves to automatic promotion on the final day of the previous term.

"I'll be saying goodbye to the fans at the Charlton game and thanking them for five great years," added Sigurdsson.

"The supporters have been absolutely fantastic to me - right from the start.

"I'm very proud to have played a part in what has been going on at West Brom over the last few years and helping get the club back where it deserves to be - in the Premiership."

Sigurdsson is now planning for a new life in what he describes as the 'real world', without football.

"We're working on moving back to Iceland," he added.

"My wife has used her time in England wisely by studying to become a beauty therapist.

"I'll be helping her set up a new business - opening a beauty salon in Iceland."

Meanwhile, chairman Jeremy Peace and assistant manager Nigel Pearson have paid tribute to Sigurdsson's service to the club.

Peace said: "Larus has been a model pro throughout his time with us and it's a real shame he has been forced to call it a day.

"I have been told by our medical staff how hard he has worked to try and overcome his injury but it wasn't to be. We wish him all the best for the future."

Pearson, who worked with Sigurdsson as first team coach at Stoke, said: "It is always sad when a player has to retire early.

"Larus was well respected in the dressing room at Stoke, as I'm sure he was here. He was hard-working, very professional and will always be welcome back."

Sigurdsson made 128 appearances for Albion, including 14 as substitute. His solitary goal came in a 5-0 Hawthorns win against Portsmouth in February 2002. He was also capped 43 times by his country.

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in