EPL Liverpool vs Palace - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2004, 21:10 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Crystal Palace, Sampdoria
EPL Liverpool vs Palace

Another very tough match this, a draw would be great, but a heavy defeat would be more in keeping with our league form at Anfield.
I think the game is being shown live on Canal+.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/3988121.stm

Anfield
Saturday, 13 November
Kick-off: 1500 GMT

Liverpool midweek goal hero Neil Mellor faces the axe for the Premiership clash with Crystal Palace.

Milan Baros is set to return after a hamstring injury and join Florent Sinama-Pongolle in attack.

Crystal Palace will give late fitness tests to striker Andy Johnson (hip) and defender Fitz Hall (knee).

Centre-half Gonzalo Sorondo is ruled out with a hamstring injury but winger Wayne Routledge should return from a neck injury.

Liverpool (from): Kirkland, Josemi, Carragher, Hyypia, Traore, Kewell, Garcia, Alonso, Hamann, Biscan, Diao, Riise, Baros, Sinama-Pongolle, Mellor, Warnock, Dudek, Finnan, Henchoz.

Crystal Palace (from): Kiraly, Speroni, Boyce, Hall, Granville, Butterfield, Leigertwood, Hudson, Popovic, Powell, Borrowdale, Hughes, Watson, Riihilahti, Kolkka, Lakis, Routledge, Kaviedes, Johnson, Freedman, Torghelle, Soares, Danze, Derry, Shipperley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2004, 10:35
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Any kind of result will be good here. Although I think Liverpool maybe too strong, Palace's form has been good enogh to suggest otherwise!

Prediction: Liverpool 2-1 C Palace

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2004, 12:13
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
Yes, they are showing the match here, and I'm really looking forward to it. One of my brothers, and several other people I know or have known are Liverpool fans. Together with the major loss Palace had a decade ago against Liverpool, that I have been constantly reminded of, nothing would be better for me than a Palace win today.

I know it's going to be extremely difficult to get anything out of this match, but I will call my brother before the match and tease him about what a bad result Liverpool will get anyway.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2004, 11:53
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
why no one post a match report ????

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2004, 11:55
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Liverpool 3-2 Crystal Palace

Hat-trick hero Milan Baros grabbed a late penalty as Liverpool snatched victory against Crystal Palace.

Baros put Liverpool ahead from the spot at Anfield after he was fouled by Palace defender Mikele Leigertwood.

Joonas Kolkka equalised with a superb angled drive just before half-time, only for Baros to pounce again when he turned in Harry Kewell's pass.

Michael Hughes headed home Kolkka's cross on 52 minutes, but Baros held his nerve to steer home the winner.

Having lost their 100% Premiership home record against Birmingham seven days earlier, Liverpool were presented with an immediate chance to make amends.

But they looked to have paid the price for two defensive lapses until Baros struck in the dying seconds.

Rafael Benitez's side started well as Baros marked his return from a hamstring injury by winning a 23rd-minute penalty.

The Czech striker looked to have overrun the ball as he burst into the area, but he was shoved in the back by Leigertwood and referee Phil Dowd pointed to the spot.

Baros picked himself up and calmly wrongfooted Palace keeper Gabor Kiraly.

Liverpool fans thought Baros had won another spot-kick just minutes later when he went down under the challenge of Emmerson Boyce.

But this time Dowd decided he had gone down too easily and penalised him for picking up the ball.

Palace looked short of inspiration in attack without injured top-scorer Andy Johnson, but grabbed a surprise leveller through Kolkka on 44 minutes.

Tony Popovic caught the Liverpool defence napping with a lobbed pass down the left, and Kolkka crashed a rising shot past Chris Kirkland.

Liverpool regained the lead straight away, however, when Xabi Alonso's free-kick was turned across goal by Kewell and Baros netted from close range.

The home side could have extended their lead before half-time but Kiraly superbly clawed away Luis Garcia's shot after a great cross from John Arne Riise.

It looked only a matter of time before Baros completed his hat-trick as he headed one chance wide and then miscontrolled a pinpoint pass from Riise.

But once again Liverpool were punished at the back as Hughes rose unchallenged to head home Kolkka's cross from the left seven minutes after the break.

Riise bent one shot wide and then blasted a free-kick into the stands as Liverpool went in search of a winner.

But the breakthrough finally came when Baros was brought down by Popovic in the 90th minute and guided his penalty past Kiraly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool: Kirkland, Josemi (Mellor 79), Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Hamann, Riise (Finnan 62), Kewell, Baros (Sinama Pongolle 90). Subs Not Used: Dudek, Biscan.

Booked: Baros.

Goals: Baros 23 pen, 45, 90 pen.

Crystal Palace: Kiraly, Leigertwood, Popovic, Boyce, Granville, Routledge (Lakis 65), Watson, Riihilahti (Soares 76), Hughes, Kolkka, Freedman. Subs Not Used: Speroni, Hudson, Andrews.

Booked: Kolkka, Hughes, Kiraly.

Goals: Kolkka 44, Hughes 52.

Att: 42,862

Ref: P Dowd (Staffordshire).

-----------------------------------

I must admit I was impressed (yet again) by Palaces desire to play football. But I did think you were lucky somewhat as Baros should have had another penalty, apart from the other two he did get.

But you certainly gave Liverpool a scare.

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2004, 00:30 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Crystal Palace, Sampdoria
Baros is a diving cnut, but, unfortunatley, the Palace defenders gave him the opportunity to do it by sliding in on him in the penalty area. The first pen he'd lost control of the ball and went over the defenders leg, the claim shortly afterwards he was quite happy to go shoulder to shoulder with Boyce until he got into the area, then he dived. The second pen Popo should have known better,but still Baros made a meal out of minimal contact
Meanwhile Hypia escapes a red card or even a free kick for the tackle on Freedman when he would have been though on goal

Like I said , a draw would have been the most we could have hoped for, but to come so close to getting it( and without AJ too) and lose to a last minute penalty :broken:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2004, 12:37
Legend

Exactly, Baros kept diving, and it was really frustrating. Just like EagleMart said, too bad the defenders made it easy for him. He was the best player on the pitch though, so it's a great shame he has to go to such extremes to win the match for his team.

It was a highly entertaining match though, and as a Palace fan I am delighted with the way the team has been playing this season, I only hope they can keep their good form.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2004, 17:08
Star Player

1st pen was amatuer attempt at defending, do that to a class player and they'll milk the penalty everytime, 2nd pen was that clear cut its funny you fellas are complaining, Popovic slid in as Milan took another touch clearing the ball from Tony's reach and the rest is history.Good goals from Palace though, ran us close and i was just relieved we snuck it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2004, 10:40
Legend

How about the way Baros dived to get a freekick just before the second goal? How about when he tried to get a penalty, and the referee just waved him on? It's a shame this has to happen in the Premiership now, it would never have been accepted ten years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in