LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2004, 02:00 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Crystal Palace, Sampdoria
Ventola, Sorondo and ....

Wayne Andrews

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ce/3616328.stm
Palace sign Inter duo

Crystal Palace have signed Inter Milan duo Nicola Ventola and Gonzalo Sorondo on loan until the end of the season.

Former Italy Under-21 striker Ventola, 26, spent last season on loan at Siena, and is behind Adriano and Christian Vieri in the pecking order at Inter.

Defender Sorondo has struggled to break into the side at Inter following a move from Uruguayan club Defensor Sporting.

Boss Iain Dowie hoped to sign Argentine midfielder Kily Gonzalez for Ł6m, but his attempts appear to have failed.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/...e+land+Andrews
Crystal Palace have swooped to sign Colchester United striker Wayne Andrews.

The 26-year-old is well known to Eagles manager Iain Dowie - who worked with him at Oldham and he was linked with him earlier this summer.

Dowie has now decided to gamble on the 26-year-old - who has scored two goals for Colchester this season, despite the fact he landed Nicola Ventola from Internazionale earlier on Monday.

Colchester confirmed that they would receive a six-figure sum plus youngster Gareth Williams - who has previously spent time on loan at Layer Road.

"First of all, we would like to wish Wayne Andrews all the very best for the future," U's boss Phil Parkinson told the club's website.

"This is an excellent opportunity for him to ply his trade at the highest level.

"We also feel that this is excellent business for Colchester United Football Club.

"Having signed him for nothing, Wayne's contract was up at the end of the season and he could have also left for nothing.

"Therefore, we feel we have struck an excellent deal, especially due to the fact that we have also gained a genuine goalscorer in the shape of Gareth Williams, who we welcome back to Layer Road."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2004, 11:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
Ventola at least has a wonderful girlfriend: Kartika Luyet.

Sorondo is one of the crappiest foreign defenders ever seen in Italy but who knows... maybe he becomes a champion in England (see Henry ) or he confirms the impression that he is crap (see Roque JR ).
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2004, 11:48
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniSamp
Ventola at least has a wonderful girlfriend: Kartika Luyet.
He's a lucky ****er. I'm a fan of Ventola, he could definitely be a hit in the Premiership.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2004, 23:06 Thread Starter
Premier Player

What's your opinion of Ventola, Toni. Wasn't he going to be the next big thing a few years ago?
As for Sorondo, I don't see the point of buying another defender, it's the one area we've got plenty of choice in.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:54
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
I don't know, I think the defence has looked a bit shaky at times, although that could be because of the midfield not doing a good enough job in keeping and distributing the ball. In attack we have AJ, two new signings (Torghelle and Kaviedes), and a fantastic offensive wing in Routledge. However, I will trust Dowie that he knows what he is doing.

Especially Ventola sounds like an interesting purchase, since he is one of those players that used to be praised very highly. Hopefully he can be a massive success for Palace.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2004, 21:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMart
What's your opinion of Ventola, Toni. Wasn't he going to be the next big thing a few years ago?
My opinion is that he has been a bit overrated in the past, but there is no doubt that he has good qualities. Maybe he scores 20 goals, maybe he hardly starts... much depends on the motivations. If he performs the way he did in the last season at Siena he will hardly start...
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2004, 00:22 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Thanks Toni, if he gets 10 goals I'd be happy
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2004, 09:38
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
I think Ventola can suit Palace. When I watche dPalace their main problem was they didnt have a proper target man and so with Ventola there at least you now have one. Sorondo is probably better than Mark hudson so it may be a step up. I though havent really seen Sorondo, i just assume he must be half decent considering he has played for Inter and Uruguay!

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2004, 17:30
International

Ventola used to be quality when he was young, but I haven't seen much of him in the past few years. I wonder who will play up front with AJ, Ventola?Torghelle? Kavides? At least it makes for competition.

Sorondo is a player I've never heard of let alone seen, so I have no clue how he'll fair. He must have some qualities. Our defence isn't good IMO. I'd love to see Hall in there with Hudson, I'm not a great fan of Popovic anymore.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2004, 02:36
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
I like Kavides.. but at his best Ventola is a quality player.

Maybe 3 upfront with Johnson down the right.. Ventola in the middle and Kavides down the left.

Obviously the two wide men would have to track back :/..

BAH Dowie's a 4 -4 - 2 man ;P

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2004, 10:54 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Who knows what formation Dowie will try, I'm guessing he's got Kaviedes down to play an attacking midfield role in a 4-3-1-2
I just hope we don't try to play with 3 centre backs, our wide players( Routledge,Kolkka) are not good enough defensivley to make it work and the fullbacks(Butterfield Granville) not good enough going forward
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2004, 10:58
Xtratime Legend

Ventola was really highly rated before, so he must still be slighlty good, Sorondo was only used by Hector Cuper I think...

"It's up for grabs now!"

Arsenal - Incongruentia Per Cladis
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 00:59
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano, FC Rangers
Ventola makes stunning debut

Nicola Ventola made a stunning start to his Crystal Palace career in the 3-0 friendly win over Arsenal, as the on loan Inter star scored one and set up another. "Ventola is highly rated with a good scoring record. He has had a lot of injuries but he is young enough and gives us a chance to be a bit stronger in forward areas," said Palace boss Iain Dowie. "He gave us a bit of pace and has a nice touch and movement, so hopefully we can get him back to what he was."

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER GIACINTO FACCHETTI, LEGEND OF THE INTERNAZIONALE AND ITALIAN GAME
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 10:28 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsar36
Ventola makes stunning debut

Nicola Ventola made a stunning start to his Crystal Palace career in the 3-0 friendly win over
That's from channel 4 no? It's wrong as usual Ventola played but didn't score, match review( from an Arsenal perspective)
here

Looking forward to seeing an Italian in a Palace shirt again though :thmbup:
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 15:23
Pod
Rising Star

Teams: Inter, Liverpool
Ventola had poor last season at Siena.
Sorondo played at Standard Liege on loan and he was excelent there.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2004, 05:25
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano, FC Rangers
Ventola was hailed as the next big superstar but he fizzled out. I think all is lost, as even Inter is planning on letting him go after his loan deal runs out.

As for Sorondo, he is a very young and very experienced defender from S. America who needs some times. He was very good in Standard last year, from what I heard.

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER GIACINTO FACCHETTI, LEGEND OF THE INTERNAZIONALE AND ITALIAN GAME
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2004, 20:15
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Palace back in for Inter Milan's Kily
tribalfootball.com - October 6, 2004

Inter Milan supremo Massimo Moratti has given the green light for midfielders Kily Gonzalez and Cristiano Zanetti to be circulated around Europe.
Both players have failed to make an impression at Inter this season and have fallen by the wayside after the summer arrival of new coach Roberto Mancini.

Mancini has told Moratti he won't be counting on either player and that they can go when the January market opens.

Kily was the subject of an enquiry from Crystal Palace in August, while Zanetti has been linked with Lazio and Parma.

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:37
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
October 21, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ventola happy at Palace
Nicola Ventola could remain at Crystal Palace once his loan deal from Inter concludes at the end of this season. "I think that I’ve ended my Inter experience," said the Italian striker. "I was there for six years but I spent three on loan at various clubs. I think a definite change will do me good. I’m happy at Palace and I hope to stay for as long as possible."

channel4

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2004, 10:40
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Yeah maybe Ventola can actually play sometime

Is he injured at the moment? because he is not even on the bench in these games

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2004, 22:00 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Ventola is injured Dean He damaged medial knee ligaments in training about a month ago but was aiming to be fit again for the West Brom game last w/e. He's going to struggle to get more than a place on the bench with Palace playing 4-5-1 and AJ doing the biz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in