LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Longball Sturrock leaves

Sturrock leaves Saints

Sturrock left Plymouth to take charge at St Mary's in March
Southampton manager Paul Sturrock has left the club by mutual agreement.
Sturrock, who has been in charge for five-and-a-half months, exits St Mary's after just 13 games in charge.

Coach Steve Wigley takes the helm on a temporary basis while the club search for a replacement, and is a contender to take the job permanently.

BBC Sport understands ex-boss Glenn Hoddle will not be considered after strong opposition from fans when he was linked to the job in March.

In a statement, Saints chairman Rupert Lowe blamed negative press reports about Sturrock's reign for his departure.

Lowe said: "Management in the Premier League is highly pressured.

"When this pressure is compounded by a constant stream of negative and unfair media coverage, which has taken on a life of it's own recently, the position becomes untenable.

"Those people responsible for perpetrating this unsatisfactory situation, often in return for financial reward, should take a long hard look at themselves."
-------------------

Lowe blaming the press ?! either way good news for lovers of good football, hopefully managers like Sturrock will stay in div 1 or 2. No offence but it was awful to watch the Saints under him.

Shame about Hoddle not being considered since he most certainly would have taken Dean Richards off our books

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2004, 15:41
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
A shame in my opinion. He did a wonderful job with Plymouth, and produced decent results in his short time at Southampton, which is what should matter to a true fan. That he still has to leave, or has decided to leave is ridiculous.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2004, 11:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

The timing was bad, I agree but I question whether Sturrock would have moved Southampton on with his style of play and his signings (Crouch and Jelle v Damme) were anything but encouraging. Either way, Southampton should be able to find a decent manager with George Graham, Hoddle etc available. Maybe Strachan will even come back after his self taken break!

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2004, 17:54
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
Disgusting thread. It's not how you play football, it's damn well how the results go, & can you say their results were that bad? Wally, take yourself outside & hit yourself for me, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009 View Post
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2004, 04:34
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Sounds like a desperate scotsman talking to me

~ The Green ne
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2004, 21:49
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Perhaps. But I can't see any good reason for sacking him, making it a disgraceful decision. And unless this guy is a Southampton fan (which he obviously is not as he wanted Hoddle back, jokingly or not) he should not really care how they play. Besides, any real football fan knows that there's no point in having Kevin Keegan as your manager to play good football when you leak more at the back than you can possibly score in a large number of games per season.

Quote:
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 11:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Thing is Cam, is that Dutch footie fans like me expect good results and good football. Both are as important. Dick Advocaat got us to the semis of euro 2004 but most people wanted him out since he played in an unDutch and unattractive way. We're probably the most hard to please I guess.
I do care about how EPL teams play btw since with teams playing the longball like Southampton we'd only get stick and the usual cliches from EPL bashers :rollani:

But back to Southampton the pressure was on him after they lost 3-0 to Pompey in the south coast derby but as I said the timing was bad but can you say hand on heart that Sturrock would have taken the Saints further than Strachan (given a season or 2) with his tactics and unimpressive signings?

Last edited by Jenas; August 30th, 2004 at 12:43.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 14:06
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Wally, I'm Scottish. I'm not used to EITHER good results OR good football

But I'll take an ugly win over a beautiful loss 100 times of a 100.~

Of course I think Strachan is a better manager than Sturrock, but then has Paul really been given a fair chance to prove himself at that level? Not in my opinion.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in