Worthy's best XI for next season????? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 22:04 Thread Starter
Star Player

Worthy's best XI for next season?????

I've been thinking about this a lot.

Helveg will slot into the rightback position at the expence of Marc Edworthy,

but I still do not know where Bentley will play.

I don't think he will play upfront, but Worthy could prove me wrong about this.

I think Bentley should play on the right, supporting the front players.

Against the better teams in the Prem I think Worthy should play this way:-

-------------Green------------

Helveg--Fleming-Mackay--Drury

--------------Holt-------------
--------Francis----Safri--------
Bentley----------------Huckerby
------------Svensson

subs: Gallacher(gk), Charlton, McVeigh, Mulryne, McKenzie

3 competitive players will be needed in the centre of midfield, with Holt being the deepest of the 3.
Francis and/or Safri can then get forward at times to support Bentley, Huckerby and Svensson.
Having 3 in the middle of the park will also allow Helveg and Drury to also get forward on occasions.

The only problem with this formation is that Matty Svensson will become isolated at times. But I think Bentley and Huckerby have enough pace to join him from their wide starting positions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 22:07
Xtratime Legend

You guys are SO relegated.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2004, 12:08 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
You guys are SO relegated.
thanks for that! :irritate:

We need more signings ideally a central defender and a new right midfielder/striker (depending where Bentley will play)

I hope that teams will under-estimate us,
and that we can get the right results in the big games that matter against fellow strugglers (starting v Palace on the opening day - a huge game!)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2004, 12:19
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuPid
thanks for that! :irritate:
Sorry about that mate, didn't mean it in a negative way. It's just that your roster is really poor. Holt, Francis and Safri are good for the first division but for the PL... no. From then on, you're going to be relying on Huckerby and Bentley... Huckerby, excluding his first years at Coventry has never been good enough in PL level and Bentley is as unproven and inexperienced as it gets... From then on reinforcements like Charlton and Helveg are experienced players... but by no means what you'd call "good".

I feel the only two players Norwich can rely to cut it in the PL FOR SURE are Green and McKenzie (who is :thmbup: ).

You took the first division by storm last year based on team movement and attacking football rather than individual talent (though obviously Huckerby in the 1st division looked occasionally like Maradona )... the same tactics and gung-ho style won't work in the PL where teams are far more solid in the back and also have better strikers.

I fear the jump in opposition quality will be too big for this Norwich.

Good luck though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2004, 16:26 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Sorry about that mate, didn't mean it in a negative way.
its ok, everyone will be saying that we are doomed as most teams do go straight back down as everyone knows.

I think even West Brom will still go down again, even though they have strengthened their squad a lot since their last time in the PL.

All 3 promoted teams have a huge task on their hands to stay in the division, but I have to hope that a couple of the other PL teams struggle badly and/or have a bad run of results towards the end of the season.
With this in mind, I have to think positively and beleive that at least 1 of 3 the promoted teams can escape the drop (with a late run of good form for example) - HOPEFULLY THAT TEAM WILL BE US!

Quote:
It's just that your roster is really poor. Holt, Francis and Safri are good for the first division but for the PL... no.
we will have to wait and see about that

Quote:
I feel the only two players Norwich can rely to cut it in the PL FOR SURE are Green and McKenzie (who is :thmbup: ).
I can't argue with that
IMO when we play 4-4-2 Leon should be playing upfront fro sure. Hopefully Worthy agrees too ...

Quote:
Good luck though.
cheers mate
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2004, 22:19 Thread Starter
Star Player

In the latter pre-season friendlies Simon Charlton has been starting ahead of Malky Mackay to partner new club-captain Craig Fleming in central defence.

So if this is anything to go by Worthy now prefers a combo of Fleming&Charlton,
and in doing so breaks up the Fleming&Mackay partnership with has been so successful for the club over the years (due to their good understanding with each other and their experience).

I could understand if Worthy split it up by bringing in younger blood .. but its simon charlton!!!! :embarass:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2004, 18:26
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
You have several really good players, I think you have a decent chance of surviving this season, but it won't be easy. Hopefully for me it won't be instead of Palace though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the match on saturday. I expect a hardly fought affair, in a match where anything can happen.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2004, 20:50
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Hah!

You are both soooo relegated

Baggies once we sign Dindane will finsih 15th or above.

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2004, 21:27 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balis-of-Steel
Hah!

You are both soooo relegated

Baggies once we sign Dindane will finsih 15th or above.
U reckon huh?

Well how do you know Dindane will be able to cut it in the Prem?

Yeah you probably have a better chance than us of avoiding the drop due to previous experience in the top flight,
but I think the Baggies could go down again, with us & Palace also

BUT hopefully at least 1 other team will get dragged into it by struggling badly and having a bad run of form, not sure who though ...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2004, 05:32
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
Kolo Touré rates Dindane higher than Didier Drogba although that many be a slight bias on his part as they were both from the same town, but still.

Everton and hopefully Spurs will be dragged down into the mix, i can see at least 1 team escaping for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in