Thomas Helveg signs! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2004, 22:52 Thread Starter
Star Player

Thomas Helveg signs!

Denmark defender Thomas Helveg is in talks with Norwich about a move to the Premiership new boys.

The 33-year-old is available on a free transfer after completing his contract at Inter.

"I can confirm that we are in talks with Thomas Helveg," Norwich boss Nigel Worthington told the club's website.

Helveg played every game for Denmark at Euro 2004 as they reached the quarter-finals of the competition and was in excellent form for his country.

Helveg started his career at his hometown club Odense and has played most of his career in Italy with Udinese, Milan & Inter.

-------------------------------------------------------

Helveg would be a good signing although his age could be a concern.
But he would join on a free and slot nicely into the rightback position.

But it has to be said that Mark Edworthy did a stella job for us in that position last season.

Last edited by StuPid; July 22nd, 2004 at 19:42.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2004, 05:04
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Norwich target Helveg swoop

Inter full back Tomas Helveg is on course to join newly promoted Norwich City. The 33-year-old Danish international, who is out of contract, has also held talks with Spurs and Manchester City.

channel4

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2004, 19:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

Thomas Helveg signs!

Norwich have signed Denmark defender Thomas Helveg on a free transfer.

The 33-year-old, who can also play in midfield, has signed a two-year contract with the Premiership newcomers after leaving Inter Milan.

"After my 10 years in Italy it was nice to have the opportunity to come to England. I have chosen the right team, it has a great atmosphere," he said.

"It felt like I was coming home. I hope I can repay the faith the manager has shown in me," he told the club website.

Helveg added: "I feel sure we will succeed together. It's going to be a great challenge for me and the rest of the squad to play the best teams in England."

Canaries boss Nigel Worthington added: "It shows the gradual progress of the club in being able to attract such a player to Carrow Road.

"To have that level of knowledge and experience at the club is a great boost to us all."

Helveg played every game for Denmark at Euro 2004 as they reached the quarter-finals of the competition, and was in excellent form for his country.

He started his career at his hometown club Odense and has spent most of his career in Italy with Udinese and Inter.

----------------------------------------------

Apparently Helveg played well for Denmark during Euro 2004 (I saw very little of Denmark's games) and this is a very good signing by Worthy.

Maybe his age could be a problem, but I don't think it will be.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2004, 22:01
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Helveg quits Serie A Thursday 22 July, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Helveg has left Inter to join Norwich, with Kily Gonzalez set to follow him out of the San Siro exit.

The Danish right-back has signed a two-year deal with the Premiership new boys after his contract at the Italian club expired.

The stopper leaves the peninsula after 11 seasons in Serie A. He spent five years at Udinese and Milan, before a single term with Inter.

channel4

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2004, 14:09
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Good signing, I quite fancied him for the Baggies

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2004, 15:05
World Class Player

Teams: Fulham and Romania
Well done, Norwich, top signing in Helveg.

Play XPS! - Romanian League Prediction!
Join now!

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2004, 15:11
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Udinese,Lokomotiv Moscow,Russia NT
Tommy scored 5 goals in serie A...and all with UDINESE

good luck Tommy

I'll miss him

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2004, 19:06
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Helveg will be big help in Norwich defence even though he's 33 now. He is hard worker, I was so happy when he joined Milan from Udinese

Good Luck Tom :smileani:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2004, 08:00
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Helveg becomes a Canary

Thomas Helveg has joined Norwich on a two-year deal after leaving Inter on a free transfer. "I'm very pleased to be here. After my ten years in Italy, it was nice to have the opportunity to come to England," said the Danish international defender.

channel4

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2004, 21:10
International

Never thought I'd see Norwich City mentioned in the same news article as Inter Milan, but it's the kind of signing they need if they're to have any chance of survival in the top flight.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2004, 21:16 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
Never thought I'd see Norwich City mentioned in the same news article as Inter Milan
how about in the UEFA cup 11 years ago?
that was a long time ago though!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2004, 16:32
International

Yeah, around the same era as when we were title challengers . Who would have thought the race for the title would be between Man Utd, Villa & Norwich. Ahhhh...what i'd give for those time to return (well they will soon under the guidance of David O'Leary- believe me :rollani: )
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2004, 16:42
Star Player

Very good signing for Norwich IMO. He was impressive at Euro 2004 and I see no reason why he can'e be in the premiership.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2004, 17:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Al Ahly | F.C. Internazionale | AZ
Quote:
I'll miss him
I certainly won't. p

So will Alberto Zaccheroni be appointed as the new Norwich city coach ? As you know, he's in with Helveg and follows him everywhere he goes.

Good luck in the EPL, Helveg. :thmbup:

ما أخذ بالقوة لا يسترد إلا بالقوة
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZ View Post
lol hossam lol...i think your the coolest bro one of the few ppl i like in this world

now thats three rants lol

i love u bro. yr good people

Juventus were relegated to Serie B along with their reputation.
http://www.inter.it/en/news/46733
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2004, 23:45
Flop
International

Teams: S.S. Lazio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianna
Tommy scored 5 goals in serie A...and all with UDINESE

good luck Tommy

I'll miss him
Thomas Helveg scored at least one goal for Milan too. The winner against Deportivo late 2000.

Just for the record: Thomas Helveg is my favourite Danish player so I'll keep a look on Norwich´.

Yada, yada

Last edited by Biancoceleste; July 29th, 2004 at 23:53.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 00:04
World Class Player

Teams: A.C. Milan
Helveg scored 6 goals in Serie A for Udi (don't know about Coppa Italia) and two for Milan - one as mentioned against Depor and a goal in Coppa at the beginning of the 98/99 season. He's never exactly been much of a goalscorer.

Anyway, 11 years in Italy, that's impressive and probably much more than expected when he first arrived there.

I wish him good luck in the EPL.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2004, 06:20
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Helveg not scared of Prem

Thomas Helveg claims that the Premiership won't frighten him after his time with Inter, Milan and Udinese. "There are some differences, the main thing I have noticed is that the games might be more intense," said Norwich's new boy. "I don't expect to get any time to relax and to play the ball like in Italy."

channel4

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2004, 07:03
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Prem is tough says Helveg

Norwich defender Thomas Helveg claims the Premiership is much harder than Serie A. "Here you will never ever have a break," said the ex-Milan and Inter star. "It is quite different in Italy, when the ball is out of play everybody has an easy time. Here you cannot just stand and look. You have to concentrate 100 per cent of the time."

channel4

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old September 13th, 2004, 23:31 Thread Starter
Star Player

He hasn't quite adjusted to the Prem yet.

He played the full 90 minutes in our first 2 games against Crystal Palace & Man Utd but was then dropped to the bench.

He was an unused sub against Newcastle & Arsenal, then came on late on against Spurs yesterday.

He is an experienced international player and I believe that he will win his place back before too long.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2004, 22:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

Helveg's first team opportunities have been limited as of late,
and he is understandably unhappy about this.

Thomas has admitted he has spoken to Norwich manager Nigel Worthington and made it clear his patience is running out.

"This is not an ideal situation for me," said Helveg.

"I have had a conversation with the manager and I told him that I am not at all satisfied with the lack of playing. The club know that my patience is running out now.

"I am definitely not satisfied with the fact that the reality is not the same as the response I get from the manager.

"He tells me he thinks I am doing well at training and is satisfied with what I am doing and that it is going good. But that doesn't go with the fact that he doesn't use me. I have not had an explanation that I can use."

I remember he had a poor first-half against Everton while playing on the right of midfield as was taken off at the break, but Edworthy is currently number 1 at rightback - so it is hard for helveg to get into thew side currently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in