New Contracts - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2004, 18:24 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Crystal Palace, Sampdoria
New Contracts

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/a...140994,00.html

Australian international Tony Popovic has agreed a new two-year deal with Crystal Palace, skysports.com can reveal.
The giant central defender was one of The Eagles' star performers as, from nowhere, they came through the Division One play-offs and sealed a place in The Premiership.

The 31-year-old moved to Selhurst Park in 2001 from the Japanese J-League - and he has been a firm fixture ever since.

He has now been rewarded for his play with a new two-year deal, but the club are sweating on his renewed work-permit application.

"Tony has agreed a new two-year deal," his agent Craig Nettelbeck explained to skysports.com.

"He is delighted to have pledged his future to Palace.

"We are still waiting to hear on the work-permit and you can never be certain on that, but we are very hopeful."

Popovic has not met the work-permit criteria, due primarily to his commitments with Palace, but also because many of the Australian squad were rested during qualifying for the Confederations Cup.

He is now waiting on the independent appeals panel, who decide whether a player should be allowed to play in England after failing to meet The Home Office's criteria.

Last edited by EagleMart; July 22nd, 2004 at 01:41.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:45 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Popo and Aki

This week Aki Riihilahti and Tony Popovic have both signed new contracts that will keep them at Selhurst Park until 2006.

Both players were out of contract this summer but were keen to remain at the club and play in the Premiership as they played a key role in last season's promotion campaign.

Finnish international Riihilahti was signed from Norwegian side Valerenga in March 2001 and has now played 126 games for the club in the heart of midfield.

Tony Popovic arrived at the beginning of the 2001/02 campaign and has been a regular in central defence during his three seasons at Selhurst Park.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:46 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Michael Hughes

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=2211

Crystal Palace's out-of-contract midfielder Michael Hughes will put pen to paper on a new deal this week, even though it is not the two-year contract he wanted, by Joseph O'Shea.

The 32-year-old Northern Ireland international was outstanding last season after joining Palace on a free transfer from Wimbledon, but has only been offered a one year extension by the club.

On Palace's recent tour to Northern Ireland, the former Manchester City and Strasbourg man didn't figure either against Glentoran or Crusaders, because he was out-of-contract.

Aki Riihilahti, 27, and 31-year-old defender Tony Popovic's deals also expired on July 1 but both recently signed new two-year-deals.

Hughes told the Guardian: "It has dragged it's heels for a long time now and I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

"I would like a two year contract but I don't think I am going to get that, so I'll settle for one year and take it from there."

Hughes has had several offers from clubs outside the Premiership, but will opt to stay at Palace for at least one more year. Having scored the winning penalty to get Palace to Cardiff and been named man-of-the-match in the final, he is understandably upset that Palace wouldn't stretch to two seasons.

Manager Iain Dowie said: "Michael needs to make a decision. The contract offer has been made and I expect him to sign that today (Tuesday). We have made it clear we want to keep Michael with the offer, and we do. I hope he has a much longer association with the club but that's in Michael's hands."

The prospect of testing himself in the Premiership again has convinced Hughes to
stay despite the apparent snub.

He said: "I want to stay here and play in the Premiership. I have had a number of other offers that I haven't explored really because I want to stay here. The contract is almost over the line and hopefully we can get it done this week and then get playing a few matches.

"Palace is a great club and I have enjoyed my time here immensely."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 19:40 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Andrew Johnson should sign a new contract in the next few days, Butterfield, Granville and Routledge are in talks with the management regarding extensions to current deals.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2004, 12:26
BARRED!
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
and sándor torghelle also signed , just as i told you
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2004, 07:48 Thread Starter
Premier Player

There's still been no announcement from Palace regarding Torghelle, while WBA have signed Gera with a minimum of fuss :frustrat:

It's rumoured that Palace are waiting for the first TV payment, due Monday, before completing any more deals.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2004, 11:42
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMart
There's still been no announcement from Palace regarding Torghelle, while WBA have signed Gera with a minimum of fuss :frustrat:

It's rumoured that Palace are waiting for the first TV payment, due Monday, before completing any more deals.
That is smart, at least were not spending money we don't have, we don't have any money loll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in