Jordan Leaving?? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2004, 23:20 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Crystal Palace, Sampdoria
Jordan Leaving??

JORDAN MAY QUIT PALACE POSITION
Sunday 6th June 2004. Sky Sports.

Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan has revealed he is considering walking out on the club following promotion to The Premiership.
Jordan has ploughed vast amounts of his own personal fortune into restoring Palace to the top flight after four years at Selhurst Park.

His goal was achieved last month when manager Iain Dowie conjured up a remarkable turnaround to clinch promotion via the play-offs at West Ham's expense.

But now Jordan is contemplating a change of direction and is mulling over whether to sell his interest in The Eagles.

He insists it is not a decision motivated by money and admits the rigours of being a chairman of a football club have taken their toll.

"This is not an impulsive decision to get out," Jordan told the Sunday Mirror.

"In the past, I have largely ignored certain issues relating to my involvement with Palace but I always maintained that if we secured promotion I would consider my position.

"Certain people's natural assumption would be to suggest that I want to get out now because I can profit from our promotion.

"But money is not the motivator. If that had been the case I would never have got involved in the first place.

"In reality, for the most part, for four years I have found it a very difficult, disillusioning and disingenuous business where decency, hard work and commitment are interpreted as arrogance, aggression and interference."

Jordan does feel that if he quits the club, he will have left an important legacy in having played a role in Palace reclaiming a place in The Premiership.

He added: "If I'm brutally honest I don't know whether I will be around to see so many people's hard work come to fruition next season.

"Needless to say, in the event I do depart it will not be on the basis of taking all the money or seeking to take my own heavy investment in the club back.

"My legacy at Palace is as important to me as the four years it has taken to bring success. And I will do nothing to stop the progress of Iain Dowie and this football club."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2004, 09:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
What will happen now in your opinion Mart, considering that it looks 100% like he leaves?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2004, 21:05 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Nothing is certain Toni, this story appeared in one sunday newspaper and others have copied it.
Simon Jordan saved the club from liquidation, but he doesn't have the cash needed to establish Palace in the PL. He may well be testing the water to see if there are any wealthy outside investors intrested in either taking over or at least putting in significant funds.
There is also the Ron Noades factor. Noades was Palace owner from '82 until '98. His company still owns Selhurst Park and there have always been rumours of his return This would not be popular I shall say no more

Perhaps Mr Garrone could be tempted

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2004, 08:02 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Please God NOOOOOOO!!!

From todays Croydon Adder...

Two of the most experienced men in English football, Ron Noades and Ken Bates, could be in line to take over the running of Premiership new boys Crystal Palace from chairman Simon Jordan.

Current owner Jordan recently revealed that he was considering quitting his beloved Eagles due to the pressures involved in owning a leading domestic club.

It is now understood that Selhurst Park landlord Noades, 66, could return as chairman, along with controversial ex-Chelsea supremo Bates, 72, who would buy the club from Jordan.

Noades enjoyed success as Palace chairman after taking over in 1981. With him at the helm the club reached the FA Cup final in 1990, among other triumphs. Noades then stepped down six years ago, when he sold the club to ill-fated former chairman Mark Goldberg. Now, having been out of the game since leaving Brentford, Noades could be ready for a return to football.

"I am as confident in my own mind as Jordan that I can run a football club as well as anybody else," said Noades. "I have learned a heck of a lot as chairman of Palace and Brentford and I can advise any club on the right way to do things.

"Simon Jordan has realised how stressful a football club chairman's job is and I am not surprised after his four years in charge. I can understand his opinion and frustration and the position in which he finds himself. He set up a dictatorship as the only way to run a football club and he must stand and fall by that decision. And, as far as the supporters are concerned, it is always a case of them just being interested in 'the king is dead, long live the king.' Losses have been sustained by Palace but we never had that sort of money to put in to the club during my time in charge. We would not have run the club with the sort of money that Jordan has put in, with losses running extremely high.

"We will have to wait and see what Simon does."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to cry this has got to be a Palace fans worst nightmare

Last edited by EagleMart; June 18th, 2004 at 08:29.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in