Oldham Athletic Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2003, 11:39 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Oldham Athletic Thread

Oldham are facing up to the possibility of selling players in order to keep the club alive.
The Latics are optimistic they can stay in business even though they have not had any concrete offers from potential investors but may have to offload players to do so.

Marketing and PR manager Sean Jarvis told the club's official website: "It is increasingly becoming inevitable that we will have to sell one of the players to simply survive.

"Obviously we want to avoid this but that prospect is rapidly approaching.

"There have been a couple of bids for one of our players. One of the bids, if accepted, would get us through this very difficult period and give us a fighting chance."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2003, 11:42 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Any Oldham fans in here. Lets talk about how Oldham will cope next season.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2003, 11:43 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Latics fans urged to dig deep

Oldham's marketing manager Sean Jarvis has urged fans to focus on raising as much money as they can for the club as they battle extinction.
Major shareholder Chris Moore turned down a takeover bid on Monday, leaving the club staring down the barrel of liquidation.

Jarvis told Oldham's official website: "It all boils down to the next two days for survival.

"I would urge all fans to focus on raising as much money as possible in the next 48 hours to benefit the Supporters' Trust.

"Whilst I appreciate the anger levelled at Chris Moore, please focus on raising £10 or £20 wherever you can and by whichever method.

"If that means coming down to the club then so be it. Hopefully that way we can raise £250,000 to help this campaign and give the club a fighting chance for survival."

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2003, 11:44 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Skint Latics land Iron clash

Crisis-hit Oldham have been handed a clash at Third Division club Scunthorpe in the opening round of the Carling Cup.
Latics are on the brink of closure due to crippling debts after owner Chris Moore rejected a takeover bid on Monday.

If a rescue package materialises Iain Dowie's men will face the Iron at Glanford Park in the week starting 11 August.

The sides have never met before in any cup competition.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2003, 16:55
Star Player

Looks like Fitz HAll will be sold on then ?
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2003, 22:36
Star Player

Teams: Colchester United FC
Colchester stole Wayne Andrews from Oldham! He's a good player, I think Oldham released him

Barside Barmy Army!
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 10:19
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: ACF Fiorentina 1926
What are the star players at oldham?

STAY AHEAD
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 11:50 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Fitz Hall is the best player Oldham have got
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 11:51 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Blues make Hall bid

Everton have stolen a march on Premiership rivals Bolton and Birmingham by tabling a £1m bid for highly-rated Oldham defender Fitz Hall.
Sam Allardyce's side and Steve Bruce's Blues have also made considerable bids for the 22-year-old centre-half, who was signed by boss Iain Dowie in March 2002 from non-league Chesham United.

A host of top-flight clubs have monitored Hall throughout an outstanding season, but Everton boss David Moyes currently leads the race for the Walthamstow-born defender.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 16:42
Premier Player

I very much doubt that they've bid £1m for OneSize. He's a good prospect, but was only playing non-league 12 months ago and with Oldham's plight I'm sure they could get him for much less.

Oldham's other star players are Clint Hill, the former Tranmere captain, who was interesting Birmingham and Aston Villa once upon a time, and Les Pogliacomi who is a brilliant young Aussie keeper.

Either of them would be great signings for top Nationwide teams.

Whizz, I see you have snapped up Wayne Andrews, great signing, especially for Colu. He got 11 last year in 28 starts so I reckon he could get you 15-20 next year if he works on his finishing. I was hoping Tranmere would snap him up, but apparently he wanted to live near London. He's an absolute bargain!
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 17:20
Doc_Rule

I heard it's a half now, half depending on appearances etc. type bid.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 18:53
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Mist
Whizz, I see you have snapped up Wayne Andrews, great signing, especially for Colu. He got 11 last year in 28 starts so I reckon he could get you 15-20 next year if he works on his finishing. I was hoping Tranmere would snap him up, but apparently he wanted to live near London. He's an absolute bargain!
He's a great player I hoping he will bag a hattrick past Tranmere We have also signed Phill Hadley from Darlington I think he's abit crapo, what a waste of wages! :depress:

Barside Barmy Army!
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 19:32
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Whizz
He's a great player I hoping he will bag a hattrick past Tranmere We have also signed Phill Hadley from Darlington I think he's abit crapo, what a waste of wages! :depress:
Well Parky said he's not on much, which in todays D2 market means he's probably not on more than the groundsman!

I do think Andrews will be a great signing for you though, you don't have many other options upfront to be fair do you?
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 19:57
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Mist
Well Parky said he's not on much, which in todays D2 market means he's probably not on more than the groundsman!

I do think Andrews will be a great signing for you though, you don't have many other options upfront to be fair do you?
The groundsman He's a better manager than what you have Colchester United forwards: Scott McGleish, Wayne Andrews, Dean Morgan, Karl Duguid Thats 4 strikers and maybe more

Barside Barmy Army!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2003, 11:46
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: ACF Fiorentina 1926
Quote:
Originally posted by blackburnfan18
Fitz Hall is the best player Oldham have got

Is he a defender?

STAY AHEAD
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2003, 18:28
Star Player

yes he is

Barside Barmy Army!
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2003, 00:51
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Everton FC, Australia
Guess things are looking up for Colchester... if your new signings can all click alongside players such as Duguid and Izzet, then you'll have a good chance of a shot at the play-offs. And maybe you'll be have your derby with Ipswich the following season

EVERTON TILL I DIE

RIP Marc-Vivien Foe
:depress:
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2003, 05:28
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Ridsdale Turns Down Oldham
Latest News | News Archive

07/04/2003. Former Leeds United chairman Peter Ridsdale, who held talks with Oldham Athletic earlier in the week, has rejected an opportunity to take over at the desperate Second Division club, saying that he cannot see a solution to the Latics' problems.

Oldham were founder members of the Premier League in 1992 but have hit calamitous since being relegated, and are on the brink of folding unless they can find people willing to mount a rescue package. It had been hoped that Ridsdale might be one such person.

But Oldham's marketing manager, Sean Jarvis, told the club's official website: "We are obviously disappointed Mr Ridsdale decided Latics wasn't for him. We respect his decision and of course wish him well for the future. As for us the fight goes on.

"Supporters have been fantastic in this gloomy chapter of our history but as I have said before I am positive we can come through this. Sadly there are no multi-millionaires coming over the horizon but there are still a couple of potential interested parties that could help us with a fighting chance.

"There are also a couple of initiatives where our supporters can help. One is the Supporters Trust. We have the game planned for the 12th July [involving two XIs of past Latics favourites] so naturally that will swell the coffers but we need to get the trust to a quarter of a million [pounds] as soon as possible. The second is the new advisory group. So far we have had three people come forward who are interested in helping the Club. We need a further seven that can contribute.

"Our survival is going to be difficult but we must go hard or we go home!" added Jarvis.

soccerage

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2003, 20:17
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by David Votoupal
Guess things are looking up for Colchester... if your new signings can all click alongside players such as Duguid and Izzet, then you'll have a good chance of a shot at the play-offs. And maybe you'll be have your derby with Ipswich the following season
very well said

Barside Barmy Army!
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2003, 02:01
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Everton FC, Australia
That of course depends on which division Ipswich will be in for 2004/05...

EVERTON TILL I DIE

RIP Marc-Vivien Foe
:depress:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in