Any IT wizards in here? Regarding Routers/networking - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2016, 20:08 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Galatasaray
Any IT wizards in here? Regarding Routers/networking

First off happy new year to all.

I have a house, 3 floors, in which my current router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7500, which will be returned.

Some people have said the best thing for my house, will be to buy 2x routers and use one as an access point.

Anyway before i continue, do we have anyone on here who knows their stuff lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2016, 20:12
******!
Star Player

Teams: rest assured theyr better than urs, stupid. TRUMP 2016.
can't help u bro but i seriously envy those ppl who had the wit/foresight to enter higher education for IT. godspeed.

and also

jk happy new year

PASS ME TEH BALL
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2016, 19:43
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistik Empire View Post
First off happy new year to all.

I have a house, 3 floors, in which my current router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7500, which will be returned.

Some people have said the best thing for my house, will be to buy 2x routers and use one as an access point.

Anyway before i continue, do we have anyone on here who knows their stuff lol
You can indeed buy a 2nd router to use it as an access point since most of the newer models have a bridge mode. That's my configuration at home.
But you still need to draw a cable to the 2nd router to make the best of use it and configuration can prove to be a hassle sometimes.

Best solution would be 1 router and a set of powerline/homeplug adapters. You don't need to draw cables trough your home since the data goes through your electricity network. Having optimal wifi coverage in the room you need it in is another plus, especially if you are prepared to invest in a set of 3 or 4.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2016, 22:19
Devil's advocate
Premier Player

Teams: Galatasaray, Turkey, AC Milan
Homeplug are not always a good solution.
I've always had troubles with this equipment at home (duplex). My modem is downstairs and TV upstairs... and it's very difficult to watch a movie (from internet TV or from the modem hard drive) in HD.
The electrical network is quite old in my building (early 80's), maybe it's the reason.
But I suppose wifi relays are more effective than homeplugs...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2016, 22:55
Star Player

With wifi relay you mean the range extenders and repeaters? Those things are meah. They're a cheap solution, but the signal loss is way too significant. Good luck streaming any content, especially when your walls and floors are isolated.

I can't comment on your home situation, but yes, homeplugs have their weak spots too. They don't work well in older houses and you have to plug them into your socket directly, because plugging it into a power strip may cause issues.
But they're the best solution to extend your wifi and ethernet capabilities without having to draw cables or lose signal.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2016, 23:04
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Using a second router or device as a bridge or extender will not be as useful if it is not wired to the 'primary' router. In my experience anyway.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2016, 23:22
Star Player

When I worked in retail I always recommended the homeplugs, but customers usually bought the repeaters because they were cheaper. 30 vs 90 euro's. Most of the time they came back, returned the repeater and bought the homeplug
"I told you it wouldn't work with the aluminium foil isolation in your floors..."

Aaagh, thinking about it makes me so frustrated again. They'd always ask you for advice, but then ignore it.
Customer: "can you help me with the laptops?"
Me: "sure, what do you need it for? just office work or also for some photo or video editing, maybe gaming even?"
Customer: "No, not for gaming but I will be using it for photo editing and I also want it to last me 5 years like my previous laptop did. Although that one has been very slow for the past few years"
Me: "I've the right laptop for you" *points laptop B* "It's costs a bit more, but you won't be needing another laptop for a while, especially if you buy it with our extended warranty plan."
Customer: "Oh, that's too expensive. I'll take laptop X for 400 euro's. It has 1000GB storage so that's really fast, right?"
Me: "I wouldn't take that one"
Customer: "Why, is it not good enough? Are you telling me it's not good? are you guys selling garbage here?"
Me: No it's a good laptop, but it won't do the things you want it to do"
*customer only hears what she wants*
Customer: "Why would I pay double if laptop X is a good laptop? I'll take laptop X"
+ *fml...*
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2016, 23:27
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
Using a second router or device as a bridge or extender will not be as useful if it is not wired to the 'primary' router. In my experience anyway.
yeah, I've got mine wired and working as a bridge in my bedroom, but pulling the cable to the 2nd floor trough the the narrow pipes sucked big time. I had to use soap to fit them trough and even than the ****ing cable broke off so I had to start from scratch. Horrible.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2016, 00:28
Devil's advocate
Premier Player

Teams: Galatasaray, Turkey, AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpam View Post
With wifi relay you mean the range extenders and repeaters? Those things are meah. They're a cheap solution, but the signal loss is way too significant. Good luck streaming any content, especially when your walls and floors are isolated.

I can't comment on your home situation, but yes, homeplugs have their weak spots too. They don't work well in older houses and you have to plug them into your socket directly, because plugging it into a power strip may cause issues.
But they're the best solution to extend your wifi and ethernet capabilities without having to draw cables or lose signal.
Yes, it depends of the home configuration...
In Istanbul, we have thick walls and isolation in the floors. I may have a N router, the signal can't go beyond 5 meters horizontally and is non-existant upstairs!
In that case, homeplug should be the best solution.
But in my current house, wifi works perfectly (even my cousin who lives in the next building can watch videos from my wifi... lol), but the homeplugs can't work properly because of the old electrical networks... :/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2016, 13:01 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Galatasaray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpam View Post
You can indeed buy a 2nd router to use it as an access point since most of the newer models have a bridge mode. That's my configuration at home.
But you still need to draw a cable to the 2nd router to make the best of use it and configuration can prove to be a hassle sometimes.

Best solution would be 1 router and a set of powerline/homeplug adapters. You don't need to draw cables trough your home since the data goes through your electricity network. Having optimal wifi coverage in the room you need it in is another plus, especially if you are prepared to invest in a set of 3 or 4.

First off, thank you an everyone in here, for taking the time to reply and try to help, much appreciated!

I have tried power line adapters before, however it kept disconnecting, so i found them quite inconsistent, in my house hold anyway.

I completly agree, i think if i do buy 2x routers, i will use one as an access point and connect it to the 1st router via ethernet/cat6a cable, as like you said it, thats the only way to make best use of it.

Hopefully the settings wont give me too much grief:thmbdown:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2016, 03:09
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Ethernet over power is okay, but you need to ensure that you are plugging them into the same circuit for best results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in