Other Sports - Page 2 - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 01:54
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend
 
Zico 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Posts: 42,453
They're custom built athletes, the running backs for example are phenomenal at what they do.

If track and field weren't such a poor option compared to football in the states, I can't imagine the (even more) amazing sprinters the nation could produce.

9
Zico 10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 01:55
Premier Player
 
Maestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2001
Teams: Galatasaray
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPro View Post
I didn't know that softball was so widely televised.
American football is great, after football, it is my favorite sport to watch. It seems slow, but you cannot expect people to beat eachother and then just continue playing right away. Everyone needs a few seconds just to get their composure back.

If you like fast sports, you can always watch hockey. I've been getting into it slightly, but still not as good as american football.
cant convince me when it comes to american football. its not only slow, its the weirdest most unlogical rules to the game.

hockey is the shit though, i have been following the nhl since i was a teenager. influenced bu those early nhlpa games on sega genesis. unfortunately the nhl doesnt have the same attendence our media coverage as baseball or nfl, which sucks.
Maestro is offline  
post #23 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 02:02
World Class Player
 
lazyPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2005
Location: boston/fenerbahce
Teams: fenerbahce
Posts: 8,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
euro man phaa

dude, the event might have been awesome, but its the damn game that is boring. some of the players are fat as hell and they call themselves athletes. baseball is worse though, the audience doesnt even care for the game. i almost fell asleep during a red sox game.
I cannot reply to the fat comment because that is an ignorant statement on your part. Thats like an american saying soccer is a pus$y sport because there is no physical contact. Its beyond ****ing stupid. Some of those players you call fat can and will outrun you on any given day. To be that big&strong and that mobile/agile is simply amazing.

You should really give it another chance, watch the game and try to really understand whats going on. I used to think the same way as you, but once you get into it its pretty interesting.

As for baseball, I live right next to the the red sox stadium, I've been to a few games, and it is a boring sport. Not the kind of sport you sit and watch, its the kind of sport that you'll just have running in the background and some bar/party/restaurant.
lazyPro is offline  
 
post #24 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 02:07
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend
 
Zico 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Posts: 42,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPro View Post
American football is great, after football, it is my favorite sport to watch. It seems slow, but you cannot expect people to beat eachother and then just continue playing right away. Everyone needs a few seconds just to get their composure back.
Watch some rugby


9
Zico 10 is offline  
post #25 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 02:18
Premier Player
 
Maestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2001
Teams: Galatasaray
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPro View Post
I cannot reply to the fat comment because that is an ignorant statement on your part. Thats like an american saying soccer is a pus$y sport because there is no physical contact. Its beyond ****ing stupid. Some of those players you call fat can and will outrun you on any given day. To be that big&strong and that mobile/agile is simply amazing.

You should really give it another chance, watch the game and try to really understand whats going on. I used to think the same way as you, but once you get into it its pretty interesting.

As for baseball, I live right next to the the red sox stadium, I've been to a few games, and it is a boring sport. Not the kind of sport you sit and watch, its the kind of sport that you'll just have running in the background and some bar/party/restaurant.
come on lazy. sure they could outrun me but i dont call myself an athlete. those fat players are maybe good players but how in the world does their bellys make them better for the game. you would think players in the nfl hits the gym several times a day. but im guessing that some of these fat players are only lifting weights when they should hit the treadmill. i might sound like a hater, but those out of shape players is such and turn off. no moist intended.
Maestro is offline  
post #26 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 03:07
World Class Player
 
lazyPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2005
Location: boston/fenerbahce
Teams: fenerbahce
Posts: 8,299
They are 'fat' because all they probably do is just strength train. The fat players you refer to have 2 purposes, 1 to make sure that no other fat boy will go past them on the line and 2, barge their way through to create space. We're talking about guys who easily lift 3X my weight. I'm a small frame and I bench 120KG. These guys do 300KG easily.

But the other players you should see them. They are so jacked. Its a sport that has very precise positions and every single person will have to do their part. Maybe you are a hater, or maybe you just don't get enough exposure to the sport like I dont get enough exposure to rugby or cricket or to squash. But you're talking about a sport that generates billions of $$ and the 'final' is the most watched event in this country of 400million.
lazyPro is offline  
post #27 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 04:53
Legend
 
yenibey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2004
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Teams: Fenerbahçe, Türkiye
Posts: 10,724
I love reading arguments about the credibility of American Football players being athletes
When I was expected to maintain a strength index of at least 3.5 to 1: (bench press 1 rep max + squat 1 rep max + hang clean 1 rep max) / body weight, and also be able to run 20 "half gassers" (width of the football field, touch and back) in 18 seconds each with 30 seconds rest in between, I sure felt athletic

Anyways, here was my seat for the Super Bowl

"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules, and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting."
yenibey is offline  
post #28 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 14:11
Premier Player
 
Maestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2001
Teams: Galatasaray
Posts: 1,887
well thats more of athletic training. if you then go home and eat 20 burgers and drink 5 pines a beer you aint no athlete imo. just to atend a big event like superbowl must have been awesome. when it comes to sports and especially "american" sports they sure know how to organize. looks great from the picture.

lazy, i dont buy your arguments. i rather keep on hating then.

Last edited by Maestro; February 12th, 2011 at 14:22.
Maestro is offline  
post #29 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 16:01
Legend
 
Frenk Reykart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2006
Location: 3rd World
Posts: 10,048
Americans know shit about sport. They are the artificial part of sport in my opinion. I'll never forget their Liverpool - Arsenal game announcement, when they had players stats in incredible graphs and players were rotating and shit.. ahaha, so funny..

Too much glamor and show, very little essence = Sport in USA.

You'll win. You'll play to win. But whatever the result, you were always winners in my heart and champions. And you'll stay that way. GOD HELP YOU!

- Fatih Terim, UEFA Cup final vs. Arsenal pre talk.
Frenk Reykart is offline  
post #30 of 261 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 16:07
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend
 
Zico 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Posts: 42,453
The science behind it is at a peak in America though, in terms of getting athletes physically able to perform a sport or a role within a sport.

I want to actually go and observe their training methods in (American) football especially, see what kind of things they do that are different to the norm. Apart from the drugs

When it comes to the brain, passion and purpose behind sport though, they do lack, at least in the traditional sports.

9
Zico 10 is offline  
post #31 of 261 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2011, 07:46
I like things
Legend
 
InfamousTurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2005
Location: Under your bed
Teams: Fenerbahce SK
Posts: 14,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPro View Post
They are 'fat' because all they probably do is just strength train. The fat players you refer to have 2 purposes, 1 to make sure that no other fat boy will go past them on the line and 2, barge their way through to create space. We're talking about guys who easily lift 3X my weight. I'm a small frame and I bench 120KG. These guys do 300KG easily.




That must be some interesting fitness regime they do.

If these guys are athletes then yemin ediyim ben insan degilim. I don't care if there are certain players who are fit... The fact that you can be so fat and partake in the "sport" is where all credibility is lost.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPro View Post
But the other players you should see them. They are so jacked. Its a sport that has very precise positions and every single person will have to do their part. Maybe you are a hater, or maybe you just don't get enough exposure to the sport like I dont get enough exposure to rugby or cricket or to squash. But you're talking about a sport that generates billions of $$ and the 'final' is the most watched event in this country of 400million.
Just because it is the most watched sport in America doesn't add any credibility either. This is a country that voted in Bush for two consecutive terms. So what you say here is absolutely meaningless.

Also, I don't care how unhealthy or difficult it is to stop and start as they do in American football. It doesn't make it cool or athletic.

El Fricko

Last edited by InfamousTurk; February 16th, 2011 at 08:02.
InfamousTurk is offline  
post #32 of 261 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2011, 17:38
Xtratime Legend
 
Cüneyt Arkın's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Posts: 30,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico 10 View Post
The science behind it is at a peak in America though, in terms of getting athletes physically able to perform a sport or a role within a sport.

I want to actually go and observe their training methods in (American) football especially, see what kind of things they do that are different to the norm. Apart from the drugs

When it comes to the brain, passion and purpose behind sport though, they do lack, at least in the traditional sports.
Give Sam Allardyce a call, he's got piss all else to do. He bought all the American training regimes to the Premier League after all.

Heidfeld will cover for Kubica first few races or until Kubica has recovered. Would have given Hulkenburg a shot really, even though he's tied down to Force India as test driver.

Looking forward to new F1 season.

"It's up for grabs now!"

Arsenal - Incongruentia Per Cladis
Cüneyt Arkın is offline  
post #33 of 261 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2011, 18:07
World Class Player
 
lazyPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2005
Location: boston/fenerbahce
Teams: fenerbahce
Posts: 8,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousTurk View Post




That must be some interesting fitness regime they do.

If these guys are athletes then yemin ediyim ben insan degilim. I don't care if there are certain players who are fit... The fact that you can be so fat and partake in the "sport" is where all credibility is lost.




Just because it is the most watched sport in America doesn't add any credibility either. This is a country that voted in Bush for two consecutive terms. So what you say here is absolutely meaningless.

Also, I don't care how unhealthy or difficult it is to stop and start as they do in American football. It doesn't make it cool or athletic.

First, I'm not an American. I don't hold citizenship so I'm not represented by the political situation of this country as I have no say ( I cannot vote ). But I find your comment funny coming form north of the border, I find it amusing that your 'best' teams in hockey, baseball and basketball all play in this country's sporting divisions. So what you gonna say to that? Canada produces the best hockey players, yet they cannot play in their own country cause nobody cares to watch/pay them? I guess Canada has no credibility in hockey then.

Also, your thought about credibility doesn't matter here. When players are getting paid 10-20 million $ to play, alot of people are giving them credit to perform, here.

No one is saying you have to like the sport or you have to watch it. I'm saying don't be ignorant and think that it isn't a sport. Its a sport just like cricket, baseball, and golf is no matter what your negative view on it may be.
lazyPro is offline  
post #34 of 261 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2011, 18:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
cenko43's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2005
Location: Smugglers Cove Beach, St Lucia
Teams: Crosses too hard
Posts: 23,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cüneyt Arkın View Post
Give Sam Allardyce a call, he's got piss all else to do. He bought all the American training regimes to the Premier League after all.

Heidfeld will cover for Kubica first few races or until Kubica has recovered. Would have given Hulkenburg a shot really, even though he's tied down to Force India as test driver.

Looking forward to new F1 season.

Istanbul United


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0m72FBbuhg

Tayyip at Rize expanding on his plans for the Olympics in 2020 “Kadınlara ayrı, erkeklere ayrı olimpik havuz yapacağız”

Bravo to the dumbest leader on earth. :shakepalm:
cenko43 is offline  
post #35 of 261 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2011, 08:12
I like things
Legend
 
InfamousTurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2005
Location: Under your bed
Teams: Fenerbahce SK
Posts: 14,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPro View Post

First, I'm not an American. I don't hold citizenship so I'm not represented by the political situation of this country as I have no say ( I cannot vote ). But I find your comment funny coming form north of the border, I find it amusing that your 'best' teams in hockey, baseball and basketball all play in this country's sporting divisions. So what you gonna say to that? Canada produces the best hockey players, yet they cannot play in their own country cause nobody cares to watch/pay them? I guess Canada has no credibility in hockey then.
I never assumed you were American?

The National Hockey League is not a division of American sports. I don't understand what you mean by that. Yes there are more professional hockey franchises in America, which doesn't really have any relevance. It's the same reason why the best Brasilian footballers make a move to European clubs, for money. With the enormous population America has, it's normal for them to have more franchises in a "national" league. The 'best' hockey teams are not American by the way. The Montreal Canadiens have the most championships, with 24 Stanley Cups, Toronto second with 13, Detriot third with 11, Edmonton and Boston sharing forth spot, 5 each with Edmonton winning it more recently. Not to mention in terms of franchise worth Toronto and Montreal top every American team. My point was that just because it's followed by a ton of people, it doesn't justify it being a good sport.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPro View Post
Also, your thought about credibility doesn't matter here. When players are getting paid 10-20 million $ to play, alot of people are giving them credit to perform, here.

No one is saying you have to like the sport or you have to watch it. I'm saying don't be ignorant and think that it isn't a sport. Its a sport just like cricket, baseball, and golf is no matter what your negative view on it may be.
While I refuse to ever refer to Baseball as a sport I'm obviously exaggerating in this context. People have also made Kim Kardashian famous and rich because she gave blowjobs on camera. Should I give her credit to? I don't care how many people watch the sport or how over paid the athletes are, that just raises more alarming questions. It still doesn't change the fact that I will never respect the game.

El Fricko
InfamousTurk is offline  
post #36 of 261 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2011, 10:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player
 
Kerem1903's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2005
Location: Under your bed
Teams: Beşiktaş JK
Posts: 9,078
This is what the Western Conference of the NHL looks like right now. 2 points separating 9th from 3rd. The top 8 teams make it to the playoffs.
Kerem1903 is offline  
post #37 of 261 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2011, 13:17
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend
 
Zico 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Posts: 42,453
2 points for a win in regulation time, 1 for a win in over-time?

9
Zico 10 is offline  
post #38 of 261 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2011, 13:20
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
gravesends's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Location: New Jersey
Teams: Eskişehirspor, Türkiye
Posts: 22,213
Just don't mention baseball to me as a fukkin sport and we're good. I don't mind NFL, NHL, NBA but that baseball is not a damn sport. Everything is just stats, I wish they had the stats of how much steroid abuse is in one of the laziest games in the world. They dare call their championship the "WORLD" series since when did the U.S. become the "WORLD" ??? dumb Americans. Before anyone comes in with a smart ass commen like "ohh but you live in the US" I was friggin 10 years old when we moved here what do you expect?! not like I moved at 18 or something. I am not a citizen of the US either.

1954-2006

Eskişehir'de Doğdum ESKİŞEHİRSPOR'LUYUM
gravesends is offline  
post #39 of 261 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2011, 13:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
gravesends's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Location: New Jersey
Teams: Eskişehirspor, Türkiye
Posts: 22,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico 10 View Post
2 points for a win in regulation time, 1 for a win in over-time?
If both teams are tied after regulation both get 1 point, but if one team manages to score in OT (4v4) that team gets another point. If no one scores in OT it goes to shootout and the winner gets another point.

1954-2006

Eskişehir'de Doğdum ESKİŞEHİRSPOR'LUYUM
gravesends is offline  
post #40 of 261 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2011, 13:51
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
cenko43's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2005
Location: Smugglers Cove Beach, St Lucia
Teams: Crosses too hard
Posts: 23,556
you basically get 1 point because this league thinks its a good idea to reward a team for putting 'effort' in, kinda like in 8 year old leagues

Istanbul United


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0m72FBbuhg

Tayyip at Rize expanding on his plans for the Olympics in 2020 “Kadınlara ayrı, erkeklere ayrı olimpik havuz yapacağız”

Bravo to the dumbest leader on earth. :shakepalm:
cenko43 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome